cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 send txt message to 474663 in background

kevinycw
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I found that when I use Iphone 5, it will send txt message to 474663 in background.  But when I use HTC android phone, it won't do it.  Can anyone knows how to stop send txt message to 474663 on iphone 5.  Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

Darkrai
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience 🙂 I hope the texts will soon stop for us too. They've been going through for 3 days, with more today than the others.

@Darkrai

Same thing happened when I started with a iphone 6.  About 10-11 texts in the first 1-2 days, then it just stopped by itself.  The moderator was nice enough to credit me back the texts for that first month.  Otherwise, I did not do anything to solve the problem, as it stopped by itself.  

Darkrai

I just sent the following message to a PM moderator:

"My son and I just signed up with Public Mobile. He has the $10/mth plan. His phone is sending background texts to 474663, which based on searches in the knowledge base appear to be Apple servers. He is already halfway through his outgoing message limit off 50 texts in just 3 days, but has actually only sent 4 texts. The rest are to this mysterious 474663. How do we stop this from continuing and can we get these messages removed from his usage?"

Have you, by chance, heard of a solution for this?

Thank you 🙂

hongg34

Same issue with 50min/50msg plan on iphone. Need a solution that without turn off the imessage&MMS.

Yiatiohi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Have the same problem - how can this be fixed?

Yiatiohi

Same exact problem BUT I did use all of my 50 texts trying to solve the problem. - Did you find a solution? Also because PM texts don't work I can also not set up iMessage because a number is needed in orde to activate - good thing I didn't port my Bell number and it's still active.

Yiatiohi

I have exactly the same problem - Just a few days ago I registered a new PM account and not able to sent or recive texts - BUT am charged for them and they show  outgoing messages to 474663 -- very weird but no solution so far. Can you help?

This was a problem I had at WIND before they were officially an Apple device provider.  It was a brief time for me with an iPhone 5s, but took much of that time before iMessage worked via the phone number, rather than my AppleID only.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 it not some sort of nefarious phoning-home scenario, but unfortunately it's iMessage trying to register itself in the background.  Unfortunately, it does this.  I remember this being an issue back when PM offered either Canada-wide or International texting options, since iMessage would try to SMS outside of Canada.  I strongly suspect this was one of the reasons PM ditched the Canada-wide text option and started only offering Global or nothing, to avoid this issue.  I'm not sure if and how they will deal with it for this extremely-limtied $10 plan.

@Mary_M @CS_Agent do you guys have a workaround for this issue?  iMessage sends out SMS behind the scenes without the user knowing or explitly initiating the request, and they have the potential to dramatically eat into someone's 50-a-month SMS limit, with no add-on based workaround available.  Do you have the ability to whitelist these messages so they don't count against a person's 50 count?  I know this doesn't affect me as I'm an Android guy and this plan is nowhere near my personal needs, but I do I think this is a serious issue for anyone with an iPhone that wants to use the new $10 plan.  Thanks for your consideration.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

If this is something that the phone manufactuer is doing, there isn't really anything you can do about it except to not use their products.  This sounds to me as if it could possibly be a device "phoning home" for whatever reason, and could possibly be some attempt to collect some basic information about you.

It's also possible for an app to send text messages without telling you.

This isn't specific to iPhone devices, but I do remember Nokia also did something similarly sneaky.  Back in the days of Symbian 3, the Nokia N8 would send some type of short code text message back to Nokia after any factory reset.  This was done without notifiying the user and it was never explained to customers what exactly Nokia was up to.  The problem was that if a user did not have text messaging included in the cellular price plan, you would end up being charged for the message.  Back then, I was with Wind, and because the shortcode wasn't considered a Canadian phone number, Wind would then proceed to charge extra for an international text message.

I know there's no way Public Mobile could charge extra for something like this, but in my opinion, phone manufactuers sending out texts automatically upon setting up the device is playing dirty.  Who really knows what they are really up to.

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have this problem on the new $10 plan. I got docked 9 text to this number when I activated my phone and I just checked the settings, Send as SMS is OFF. So what’s the problem? This 50 text isn’t going to go very far if this continues.

kevinycw

Thanks,  I'll try it. 

@srlawren wrote:

@kevin9054 @kevinycw I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's iMessage doing that to register against one of its servers.  @Rockdaddy22 @Luddite can you confirm?

Correct. If you really want to stop it turn Send as SMS OFF. If you have global texting there is no charge; if you don't it will stop after a bit anyway.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

kevinycw

Thanks, let me try.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kevin9054 @kevinycw I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's iMessage doing that to register against one of its servers.  @Rockdaddy22 @Luddite can you confirm?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

kevin9054

I'd same problem using iphone.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.