cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Umidigi Power WiFi tethering not working with Public Mobile

JCH
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My Umidigi Power WiFi tethering works fine with a Bell account I also have, but has "no internet" when using the Public Mobile (PM) SIM.

The PM SIM does not allow me to make any changes, so I tried the previous suggestions of using a Freedom Mobile SIM to add a new APN.  I could add a new APN that way, but neither SIM would permit me to add "dun" to the field.

The PM mobile data works fine for the SIM containing device itself, just not for the tethered device.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JCH

61 REPLIES 61

GregR7

@geopublic found it.  hmm, looks like i can see the settings but can't change anything.  actually gives me a longer list of APNs anyways, but read-only.  darn.  short of rooting this phone, i'll see what a mod can come up with. i like the phone too much to swap it for a different device, so i might need to change providers (blasphemy!)

@GregR7  The one I used was called MTK Engineering Mode by TheMonster scans clean via Play Protect. Uninstall it when your done.

GregR7

@geopublic i do have developer options which i use to turn off animations - any specific settings i should also enable / toggle?  that mediatek app sounds interesting.  which one?  there's a few on there, with all kinds of ratings (and i don't yet see one made by mediatek themselves)

@GregR7 wrote:

so i tried inserting the old Koodo SIM card, and while the APN settings are different they're again not editable.  maybe they're part of the SIM card / network config itself and the phone does read-only stuff?  i don't know, just guessing.wonder if rooting the phone would let me make (force) changes - anyone know?

@GregR7  Make sure that you enable the Developer options  on your phone (google on how to do it if you need to). Also go to the Play store there is a Mediatek App that enables you to access the phones Engineering mode and review/change settings. Might be worthwhile installing it.

gjong26
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@JCH @GregR7 

I would try testing another device to the PM phone to see if that can get data such as a laptop.

Another test is to connect the phone to your home WIFI and hotspot that to see if anything is blocking.

1.Is unrestricted data set on the phone?  This will limit data to only 1 app at a time.  

2. try different security settings for the hotspot connection or configuration -perhaps the issue is a compatibility

3. does the phone have a bluetooth tethering option? or usb?  

4. verify that the secondary device is indeed connected.  Verify connection status once connected to the tethered phone.

5. is there an ongoing issue with these phones h/w wise?  these are cheap chinese phones so they can be unreliable for this reason.

Hope this helps.

GregR7

the APN settings we're talking about are being set up on the phone which is acting as the host/router.  with the Umidigi Power, a laptop CAN connect to the phone quickly and easily, but that specific connection then stops dead at the phone and doesn't carry over onto the internet.  at the same time, the phone itself DOES have internet access, so it's like somewhere along the way the connection from laptop (tethered device) to internet is blocked or something.  it's like the router can see and talk to the internet, but the computer that's attached to it can't.

gjong26
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@JCH 

If your tethering your device to another you are using the WIFI on the second device.  It shouldnt matter if you even have a SIM Card in the secondary device no?  For instance I tethered my laptop to my PM phone and all I had to do was turn the hotspot on and find the password to put into my laptop when i connect to that particular WIFI setup by the tethering. 

APN setting shouldnt be needed on the secondary device so I am not sure why thats being suggested.  Your phone becomes a WIFI router similar as if you were at home connected to your home network.

GregR7

so i tried inserting the old Koodo SIM card, and while the APN settings are different they're again not editable.  maybe they're part of the SIM card / network config itself and the phone does read-only stuff?  i don't know, just guessing.wonder if rooting the phone would let me make (force) changes - anyone know?

@GregR7 wrote:

of course does not work.  i cannot edit or add any APN info. same as what John (?) who started the thread said - can't add or edit.  am stuck with whatever Public Mobile "pushes" as settings.  and i don't have any other SIM card to try (except my previous Koodo which was using the same number, before i moved from Koodo to PM, so i'm not sure if it's safe to try to use the Koodo SIM to edit settings and then put the PM card back in)

@GregR7  Using the Koodo sim to try to modify the settings will not harm anything.

What you need to do is to clear the APN Type (leave blank), save the APN and restart the phone. If successful then tethering should start working.

@GregR7 wrote:

i did try that just now (never occurred to me to try while experimenting), and saving the APN doesn't create an editable copy.  i have a list of 4 APN entries, and none are editable or copy-able. and the 2nd and 3rd APN entries kill data from within the phone anyways, which i found out by thinking that connecting to a Telus APN would somehow be better than connecting to a PublicMobile APN.

Well, that would be faulty thinking, i.e. while Telus, Koodo, and PM are all under the Telus umbrella, the APN settings are apparently not interchangeable. For instance, I'm using a used phone, that was originally locked to Koodo, and by default has Koodo APN settings sitting on it(even after a factory reset), so I thought I'd try using it, just out of curiosity, but it didn't work that way, and I had to add APN settings for PM manually. Clearly, there's enough differences(probably pointing to different servers on the network) that you need the proper PM APN settings to work.

i assume that all the APN info is "pushed" by the carrier when registering on the network for the first time with a new phone?  if that's how it works then the only people who can change the setting are the carrier (at least for those of us who can't edit).

While my phone wasn't new when I connected to PM, PM didn't "push" any settings to my phone, as mentioned above, so I had to set them manually.

GregR7

i did try that just now (never occurred to me to try while experimenting), and saving the APN doesn't create an editable copy.  i have a list of 4 APN entries, and none are editable or copy-able. and the 2nd and 3rd APN entries kill data from within the phone anyways, which i found out by thinking that connecting to a Telus APN would somehow be better than connecting to a PublicMobile APN.

i assume that all the APN info is "pushed" by the carrier when registering on the network for the first time with a new phone?  if that's how it works then the only people who can change the setting are the carrier (at least for those of us who can't edit).

on the one hand, tethering DOES work when the SIM card is moved to another (older) phone, but if i can't replicate those settings on the UmiPower then that's kind of an empty victory.  hold on, i'm going to use the old phone again and see what those settings actually were....  back in a few mins!

update - ha!  on the other phone, i can't even SEE the APN settings.  salt on the wound...

@GregR7  Did you watch the video that Claudia linked to? I JUST watched it, and it SEEMS like it would do the trick for you and the OP in this thread.

GregR7

i'm trying a bunch of things, and while nothing seems to be working i am noticing that this issue is only happening with Public Mobile, and google search doesn't show anyone at Freedom or Lucky or even Koodo/Telus having this problem either?

the phone/data works great if i'm using everything from the phone itself, but if i can't use it as a hotspot for my tablets or laptop then that limits my ability to work in a library or coffee shop or on the road.

maybe Public + Power = Problems ?  😛  too many p's in a pod?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Can you get the reset of APNs like in the below link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbnfB2guBhA

After that please do a reset network settings as well, add manually carrier Public Mobile and restart the phone.

Please also remove again the SIM, and let me know how it goes.

Claudia

@GregR7 wrote:

and, i don't have a Freedom SIM card or any other SIM card kicking around (other than my previous Koodo, which i'm hesitant to try as it's the same "family" and was my previous account)

Well, they're pretty easy to get..... either that, or if someone you know has one, maybe borrow it.

i did try the PM SIM in another (very old, Android 5.1) phone and tethering worked fine.  amd if using a Freedom SIM would work then it's not totally a phone issue, i guess?

I don't know all the details, but I've seen this sort of problem mentioned here several times, and the prevailing wisdom seems to be to use a Freedom SIM, and IIRC, it's something to do with the newer versions of Android. I suggest you do a search on these forums, using a few keywords specific to the problem, and SOMETHING useful will hopefully turn up.

GregR7

issue is tethering - using either WiFi hotspot or USB.  data on the device itself works perfectly fine.

and, i don't have a Freedom SIM card or any other SIM card kicking around (other than my previous Koodo, which i'm hesitant to try as it's the same "family" and was my previous account)

i did try the PM SIM in another (very old, Android 5.1) phone and tethering worked fine.  amd if using a Freedom SIM would work then it's not totally a phone issue, i guess?  unfortunatley i'm not the most patient person, so my quick next step is to go to Lucky 😛  last step would be to go to Freedom (good plan, awful coverage map)

@GregR7  Do you have the same issue, i.e. you're trying to use a device via tethering, or you simply want to access data on the phone that won't allow changing the APN settings? Also, did you try the trick of using the Freedom Mobile SIM, that was mentioned on the 1st page?

GregR7

of course does not work.  i cannot edit or add any APN info. same as what John (?) who started the thread said - can't add or edit.  am stuck with whatever Public Mobile "pushes" as settings.  and i don't have any other SIM card to try (except my previous Koodo which was using the same number, before i moved from Koodo to PM, so i'm not sure if it's safe to try to use the Koodo SIM to edit settings and then put the PM card back in)

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your authentication and for reaching out to us.

Could you please follow the instructions from below; usually it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB52UlH13ig

Please let me know if ti works, or I will search for another solution.

Thank you

Claudia_M

GregR7

screen shot of APN settings attached (2 images). all grayed out, can't edit.

Screenshot_20200309-162100.pngScreenshot_20200309-162111.png

@GregR7 wrote:

has anyone found a solution for this?  i have the same issue, Android 9, can't get access, can't edit APN settings.  anything the mods can do? moving SIM card to another (old) phone works but that's not a viable long-term solution (there's a reason i repalced that phone!)

@GregR7 Post a screenshot of your current APN settings.

GregR7

has anyone found a solution for this?  i have the same issue, Android 9, can't get access, can't edit APN settings.  anything the mods can do? moving SIM card to another (old) phone works but that's not a viable long-term solution (there's a reason i repalced that phone!)

@JCH  My APN type doesn't have dun in it and tethering works without any issue.

JCH

@will13am wrote:

@JCH , this is the APN settings.  Make sure each setting is correct.

APN Settings:
Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,supl,dun
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

Thanks for the suggestion, but the PM SIM doesn't allow me to edit or create a new APN, and when I try adding "dun" using the Freedom Mobile SIM I get this warning:Screenshot_20190902-185743.png

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@JCH , this is the APN settings.  Make sure each setting is correct.

APN Settings:
Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,supl,dun
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

JCH

I tried making the APN type the same as the Bell SIM that works "default,supl,xcap,mms", but that didn't work on the PM SIM

JCH

@geopublic wrote:

@JCH wrote:

I do not know what needs to be done.  Also this phone is currently running Android 9.

@JCH  You should be able to add an APN and edit APNs on that phone. It's running close to stock Android.

Maybe delete the existing APN and create a new one with APN Type as follows:

default,mms,duplicate,hipri,fota,ia

Thanks for the suggestion, but still no luck.  The phone accepted the APN type you suggested, and worked on the main phone, but it still didn't let the internet get to the tethered device.

Also, I can only seem to add a new APN with the Freedom SIM card installed.  When I switch back to the PM SIM the added APN is still there.

@JCH wrote:

I do not know what needs to be done.  Also this phone is currently running Android 9.

@JCH  You should be able to add an APN and edit APNs on that phone. It's running close to stock Android.

Maybe delete the existing APN and create a new one with APN Type as follows:

default,mms,duplicate,hipri,fota,ia

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

If I was you I would try contacting mods, they can push settings through for you

Wait may be long

JCH

@will13am wrote:

@JCH , you seem to know what needs to be done.  If you have a phone running android 8.1, you are pretty much stuck if you can't as dun to the APN type field.

Need Help? Let's chat.