cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Umidigi Power WiFi tethering not working with Public Mobile

JCH
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My Umidigi Power WiFi tethering works fine with a Bell account I also have, but has "no internet" when using the Public Mobile (PM) SIM.

The PM SIM does not allow me to make any changes, so I tried the previous suggestions of using a Freedom Mobile SIM to add a new APN.  I could add a new APN that way, but neither SIM would permit me to add "dun" to the field.

The PM mobile data works fine for the SIM containing device itself, just not for the tethered device.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JCH

61 REPLIES 61

JCH

This sounds to me like an error in the way Telus set up Public Mobile.  Has anyone tried tethering on a Umidigi Power using an actual Telus branded SIM?

@GregR7  It kinda sucks, but if you need/want tethering, on that particular phone, I guess you've proven that PM just won't be workin' without doing A LOT more searching, trial & error, and just generally jumping through hoops to get it done..... if ever.

GregR7

looks like it's just a combination of carrier and phone.  Public and Lucky are both prepaid AFAIK, and on the same phone using the same SIM slot, one (still) works and one doesn't.  and since Bell and Telus apparently share towers, coverage area is essentially the same.  and plan prices are essentially identical.

@computergeek541 wrote:

Prepaid/postpad doesn't make any difference when it comes to tethering. I can tether just fine at Public Mobile.

Then I guess what Anna said, "Prepaid services don't accept tethering on all devices, especially foreign phones." probably has more to do with the phone, and maybe more specifically, the phone brand itself, as it relates to PM, since the phone in question clearly works fine on Lucky.

@JCH wrote:

Interesting.  Lucky is a "prepaid" service to, correct?

Prepaid/postpad doesn't make any difference when it comes to tethering. I can tether just fine at Public Mobile.

@JCH wrote:

Yes, it is..... that's where I ported to PM from.

JCH

GregR7

@JCH tethering worked and continues to work on my Lucky Mobile SIM card.  using it now actually to compose this message.

admittedly i liked the Public plan and the small discounts i had going, but alas the tethering didn't work on PM.

JCH

I received this as a PM.  Not really an adequate final response, but I ran out of ambition to push it further:

Hi there!

Prepaid services don't accept tethering on all devices, especially foreign phones.

Please by a shop and have them take a look.

Thank you kindly! Cat Very Happy

Anna,

PM Mod

JCH

Tethering works fine on my Umidigi Power with my Bell SIM, just not with the Public Mobile SIM.

GregR7

@geopublic  it's an option.  i'll ask around.  the few people i talked to recently were on bell or fido, cuz back then i was looking to see if non-Public carriers would work with my phone. if any mods or techies are in the ottawa area and feel like a test, send me a msg! i'm usually in the vicinity of the Costco on Hunt Club.

@GregR7  If it works using Lucky then it might be a PM sim issue. To eliminate this possibility can you borrow a PM sim card from a friend and test?

GregR7

(what happened to the QUOTE option?)

yeah, it sucks that it works once and then doesn't work.  as of Sunday i'm on Lucky and first test shows that tethering works on Lucky.  i'll be checking it daily and come back with an update once or twice.  maybe that'll give someone additional data points, but then again this isn't an iPhone so it's not like millions of people have the same device, so interest in fixing it might be limited?

Houda2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

??? plzzz help:(

I have no contact with the outside world :(((((\

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sorry to hear that @GregR7 ...

Did not expect to see that my links go from "it works!" -> "it doesn't work..." between my visits here Robot Sad

Not sure if you want to experiment anymore since you're switching to Lucky but I did some more searching and found these anyways:

- Overwrite DUN APN using adb, I think you'd need to replace the APN values used with the ones for PM

- Editing builds.prop (requires root) 

GregR7

update - that XDA forum trick doesn't work any more.  it worked when i was testing it a few days ago, but when i really needed it to work it failed.  no idea how to make it work and have it stick.  sucks.  trying Lucky.  i'll let y'all know if it's more a carrier issue or a hardware issue.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello Greg,

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience but for quality purposes, the system is going to close this conversation if there is no answer in the next 24 hours, if you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us back, as we will be glad to help you out anytime.

By the way, if you need to know more about your account, you can access anytime needed the link below:

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

Also, our favourite chat boot SIMON is available 24/7 for answering your questions https://www.publicmobile.ca/fr/bc/get-help

Wish you a very beautiful day,

Ana

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey there Greg,

It sounds like you have managed it in the end.

These are great news!

If it happens to have any other issues please contact us, we are very glad to help.

Wish you a very beautiful day,

Ana

@GregR7  COOL!!! Glad ya got it workin' 👍 ...... I knew it SHOULD be able to be done, but nobody should have to jump through THAT many hoops to get it workin'.

And BTW Public Mobile, where did the "Quote" button disappear to!?!? 😕 

GregR7

@fujiyama 

XDA thread on how to change the "tether_dun_required" value using adb, see post #6

THAT WORKED!  i changed the setting from null to 0 and tethering via USB works (at least for now, i'll try it over the course of a few days and reboots).  this doesn't show as any changes in the APN list, but somehow it works.

AWESOME!

@JCH try the above, the adb shell command.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just throwing a bunch of random info here, not sure if any of them will help at all Robot Frustrated

- Umidigi Power is dual sim dual 4G, have you tried using the other sim slot?

XDA thread on how to change the "tether_dun_required" value using adb, see post #6

- Another XDA thread, this one has many methods (root, adb, dialer code, etc) on adding/editing APN

- We got a Samsung S8 where the APN type says "internet + mms" and everything including tethering works no problem.

GregR7

@geopublic wrote:

@GregR7 

Another way to access the MTK engineering mode is by dialing:

Dial *#*#3646633#*#* and scroll to the right for more options. You can also make changes so no need for the APP.

ooh, that's handy!  works same as the app, and i can see the APN settings but looks like my particular phone just won't let me change anything. it sounds like it might be a firmware issue, based on what a mod found.

@GregR7 

Another way to access the MTK engineering mode is by dialing:

Dial *#*#3646633#*#* and scroll to the right for more options. You can also make changes so no need for the APP.

@geopublic wrote:

@GregR7 wrote:

@geopublic found it.  hmm, looks like i can see the settings but can't change anything.  actually gives me a longer list of APNs anyways, but read-only.  darn.  short of rooting this phone, i'll see what a mod can come up with. i like the phone too much to swap it for a different device, so i might need to change providers (blasphemy!)

@GregR7  Yeah, I know what you mean I'm currently using a F2 and I'm very happy with it. Umidigi makes Maybe nice phones for the money.

Uhm, was that supposed to be, "Umidigi makes many nice phones for the money."??? Not QUITE sure there, but have been thinking about getting one for a while now, so thought I'd ask. Have been kinda kickin' around maybe an A3S, or the A5 Pro.....

Maybe check XDA developers for a way to modify the APN via ADB.

Now THAT'S an idea..... think I might have to look at that too, just out of curiosity.

@GregR7 wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

Since you didn't use the quote button, or  reply in a more direct fashion, I'm still not sure whether or not you tried the info from the video that Claudia provided..... did you try that, and I misunderstood what you said about it?

As for changing providers to get this to work, there's no guarantee that'll work either - could be a hit or miss proposition. Can we safely assume that by this point you've done plenty of Google searches on the topic?

ah, i just learned how to do the quote thing. sorry 'bout that!

No problemo - most folks relatively new to forums, or even just these forums, have to fish around for a while 'til they find all the gadgets, buttons, etc.

yeah i tried the things in the videos.  the one about Nova Launcher was a dead end too as i can create the shortcut but launching it kills it automatically.  so what the video shows at around 2:17 mark is where his phone continues and mine kicks back to the "desktop".

Well, that really sucks - the video really sounded as though it MIGHT do the trick. 😕 

google searches are kinda funny - even if i search for "umidigi power tethering lucky mobile" (or freedom mobile, or chatr) the result is THIS thread, so either Lucky / Freedom don't have a forum about this and people are suffering quietly, or the problem doesn't crop up there.

I suspect it may be both, i.e. I'm fairly sure both of those providers don't have forums(at least not like these ones), and they just MIGHT populate the necessary settings automatically.

i will probably try one of those later this week (with a random disposable phone number, it'll cost me whatever the SIM + cheapest plan is for a month).

Please do come back here and update this thread - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that would be interested to hear the results.

though even if i myself move, it would be nice to find a solution for others that might run into this.

Definitely - since you're not the 1st person having issues with non-editable APN settings! That, and I've been thinking of getting a Umidigi phone too, and although I don't have a need to tether to a phone, that scenario MIGHT crop up one day.

i have a tendancy to look for the simplest and quickest solution, though.  me and my lack of patience! 😛

Well, yeah, simple & quick is good, if possible, but in my case, when unlocking my current phone, it was anything but that, and I had to Google search to find the correct info, because the default prompt to unlock didn't do the trick..... turned out to be slightly more convoluted, but at least the necessary info WAS out in the wild, and I just had to find it. You'd think that the info to get this APN issue fixed would also be available..... 🤔 

@GregR7 wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

As for changing providers to get this to work, there's no guarantee that'll work either - could be a hit or miss proposition. Can we safely assume that by this point you've done plenty of Google searches on the topic?

so a person at my office has a phone plan with Bell, and since it's after 5pm here i asked to borrow his SIM card for a hot second.  tethering hotspot works perfectly - i still couldn't edit any APN fields but i didn't have to since on the Bell card it worked fine.  i glanced quickly at the settings and i didn't see "dun" being part of it with the Bell SIM card.  put back the Public SIM card and no internet.

@GregR7  Don't think you need DUN. On my F2 the APN type got automatically populated with the following:

Screenshot_20200310-195927.png

@GregR7 wrote:

@geopublic found it.  hmm, looks like i can see the settings but can't change anything.  actually gives me a longer list of APNs anyways, but read-only.  darn.  short of rooting this phone, i'll see what a mod can come up with. i like the phone too much to swap it for a different device, so i might need to change providers (blasphemy!)

@GregR7  Yeah, I know what you mean I'm currently using a F2 and I'm very happy with it. Umidigi makes nice phones for the money. Maybe check XDA developers for a way to modify the APN via ADB.

GregR7

@CannonFodder wrote:

so a person at my office has a phone plan with Bell, and since it's after 5pm here i asked to borrow his SIM card for a hot second.  tethering hotspot works perfectly - i still couldn't edit any APN fields but i didn't have to since on the Bell card it worked fine.  i glanced quickly at the settings and i didn't see "dun" being part of it with the Bell SIM card.  put back the Public SIM card and no internet.

GregR7

@CannonFodder wrote:

@GregR7 wrote:

Since you didn't use the quote button, or  reply in a more direct fashion, I'm still not sure whether or not you tried the info from the video that Claudia provided..... did you try that, and I misunderstood what you said about it?

ah, i just learned how to do the quote thing. sorry 'bout that!

yeah i tried the things in the videos.  the one about Nova Launcher was a dead end too as i can create the shortcut but launching it kills it automatically.  so what the video shows at around 2:17 mark is where his phone continues and mine kicks back to the "desktop".

google searches are kinda funny - even if i search for "umidigi power tethering lucky mobile" (or freedom mobile, or chatr) the result is THIS thread, so either Lucky / Freedom don't have a forum about this and people are suffering quietly, or the problem doesn't crop up there.  i will probably try one of those later this week (with a random disposable phone number, it'll cost me whatever the SIM + cheapest plan is for a month).

though even if i myself move, it would be nice to find a solution for others that might run into this.  i have a tendancy to look for the simplest and quickest solution, though.  me and my lack of patience! 😛

@GregR7 wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.