cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive texts - tried new SIM, new phone, no response from mods

packetuser
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Greetings,

I have a Nexus 5, and recently I stopped receiving text messages.  I tried the common fixes (reboot, clear storage space, remove/reinstall SIM) and then escalated to more dramatic fixes: I did a factory reset.  Still no texts.  I replaced the phone.  Still no texts.  I replaced the SIM.  Still no texts.  I have a ticket open with PM, but I have had no response in 24 hours.  Has anyone experienced this problem?  Any clues?

18 REPLIES 18

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@packetuser If you want additional stuff for CRTC you could add they don't honour this procedure for Public Mobile customers: "Transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public Mobile or another provider".

packetuser

My problem was eventually fixed by the mods.  I asked repeatedly about why the problem occurred in the first place, and (since it's so similar to problems dozens of others experienced) what PM is doing to fix this in the future.  However, they did not respond to my questions.  I'm currently drafting a complaint to the CCTS.

@mikron07,

There's the problem.  You must select a voice plan to use the LD minutes.  It sounds like you did not choose any voice plan.  Unfortunately, the system allows the purchase of the long distance addon without the basic calling feature.  The same applies for texts.

To get your plan working, I suggest you contact the @CS_Agent via private message, and provide the prublic mobile phone number, sim number, and account pin for assistance.

mikron07
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What is a base voice selection?? I have no idea what that means.  My plan says "200 min US and Canada Long Distance".  All I can remember from 5 days ago was to pick an area which was Toronto and chose a telephone number.

@mikron07, did you select a provincial / canada wide / canada & US calling selection?  The addon minutes are not usable, UNLESS you have a base voice selection.  Same with texting.

mikron07

When I boot up the phone it says Public Mobile in the corner.

My plan says 200 min per 30 Days

Add-on says 250Mb

It does not mention texting in the add-ons but I have been charged for texting.

My transaction history shows that I have been charged for 200 min, 250Mb and US roaming and unlimited text.

The telephone number I am using is temporary which came from Public Mobile when I activated the SIM card.  When I go back to the US then I will put my SIM card back into the phone.

@mikron07 Need more info to help:

a) login to your account and report exactly what's listed under My Plan, and under My Data & Add-ons.

b) are you transferring a number from another carrier.

c) what message is displayed on the phone after rebooting with the SIM installed

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mikron07

I also have a Nexus 5 and recenting purchased a SIM card to cover me while I am in Canada.  I activated it on Dec 14th and paid for 200 min, 250Mb data and unlimited texting and my phone does not allow me to make calls (I get a message when I try to call saying I did not pay for the ability to call).  In addition when I tried to text, it tells me that I have not paid for that service but I have.  My transaction history proves that I have paid to make calls and text but I can't. What the hell is going on!!!  Is public mobile just a scam?? 

Acekiller

Really sorry to hear your mishaps, only the mods (and God) can help you at this point.

@packetuser wrote:

@will13am interesting!  The mods tried "resynchronizing a few things in your account" (in their words), but that did not fix the problem.  Perhaps when the US roaming add-on was removed, they mistakenly took my domestic SMS away with it?  Either way, I've been without SMS for 5 days.  If I don't get a response soon, I'm just going to port my number to another provider.    

It's never fun to endure service outages.  Now that they are on the case, they should be able to apply a cure in a timely manner.  A hasty departure may not be the best solution even if there is immediate gratification.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@packetuser If you do decide to port I would also write a clear letter statimg why you are porting and that you would like a refund for the balance as they are unable to fix/provide you with a service you paid for.  not sure if you will get any money back but it is worth a try.

packetuser

@will13am interesting!  The mods tried "resynchronizing a few things in your account" (in their words), but that did not fix the problem.  Perhaps when the US roaming add-on was removed, they mistakenly took my domestic SMS away with it?  Either way, I've been without SMS for 5 days.  If I don't get a response soon, I'm just going to port my number to another provider.    

packetuser

@passiveegg thanks - I hope so too!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Addons can sometimes affect SMS.  I recall one of the most frequently occuring bugs is expiration of a US roaming addon affecting SMS.  This one self corrects in a couple of days though.  The moderator team can also do resets to clear the problem.

passiveegg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In the case of you taking responsibility and doing all the trouble shooting errors, your best bet is to wait till the moderators look at your message and help you resolve your problem. Hopefully you find a solution very quickly. 

packetuser

@KMG No, but it happened to coincide with an add-on that I added mistakenly, and was then removed.  

closng

Hi @packetuser,

Sounds like you've covered all the bases in terms of troubleshooting. 

Good to hear that you've reached out to the Moderators, as it may be an issue on the Public Mobile side. It was the weekend so that might explain the delay in hearing back from them. 

KMG

Did this problem coincide with your plan renewal date?

Need Help? Let's chat.