cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei B890 Hub didn't connect after signing up - ?

Jeay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

After I checked if my hub would work on this system IMEI # said good...and ordered the SIM card and paid for activation, my hub is not connected to the internet.  I've read a bit and see that I need to put Public Mobile in for the APN name and sp.mb.com in under the APN but my only drop down selection for APN is:  telus isp, telus vpn or telus connect.

How do I get around that?  I cannot change that, it has locked me out.  My device was supposed to have worked on here but do I actually have to unlock it then?

Help graciously received...

28 REPLIES 28

WOW Great effort @Jeay

Your persistence has paid off. Hope you remembered to give your original number for the referral reward.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jeay

After a great deal of research and trying to get the device unlocked with another service to a cost of $55... I couldn't get to a screen to unlock the device but you are correct, it does work with PM without being unlocked.  It was purchased through telus, hooked up for months then I bought it out and disconnected and left it in the box for the past yr.  I have found a way (being a non techie, that was not easy) to create a new Profile and APN for PM and it worked... so, alot of expense and time.  Device isn't unlocked but is working with PM.  Thanks for all of the great input!  If anyone else wants the low down on the steps to create a new Profile on a Huawei Hub.. just ask.  I'm surprised with all of the videos I've watched and all of the blogs I've read on the subject that there was no information anywhere on creating a new profile or how to get to the screen to unlock the device.  All of the info on how to unlock this device does not take me to the screen to enter the number. 

Jeay

Thanks for the idea but after I finally found a way to get that FMC unlocker program, they don't give you a password to use to unlock your device.  All that happens is you end up on an endless page clicking on advertisments to make somebody money I guess.  I did pay another company 55. to send me an unlock but after waiting 6 days, the code they sent me hasn't got any place to put it in, at least I couldn't find it!  I read everything I could, googled, youTube'd.. nothing was showing my screens.  I went through all of the settings and finally found a way to add PM's profile though so I got it working.  Not unlocked, but working with PM as it had been purchased through Telus.

JEM

Actually, we are one.. that sounds like a line from the Borg, Star trek..anyhow, I have my cell on now with PM.. that was my 1st account, JEM.. then about a week ago I signed my huawei hub onto PM but haven't been able to use it as I thought I'd be able to being that it was from telus.  I wish I could combine my Jeay and JEM accounts but not sure how... or even if the Jeay account ie: hub is going to be usable.  Sure hope someone can assist.  It's been a full week without any usage but still paying for the account...

Mary must have run out of time to check into this for you today. Perhaps @Shazia_K can let us know whether PM's unlocking service extends to these Telus hubs?

I am a little confused by your current account situation. Do you have PM account that you are unable to use because the hub is locked?

Also is it @Jeay or @JEM who has the problem?

JEM

The 6 months is what telus told me I'd need to become a customer of theirs again before they would unlock my telus Huawei Hub for a cost, of course.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle
I think PM will unlock Telus devices. @Mary_M ??

Not sure what 6 months has to do with it unless you agreed to it when purchasing the hub?

Any

JEM

I went to this link after trying everything I could think of.  That link has only ads on it that you click on... and there is no dl available for fnc  Wish there was.  I've tried paying $55 for an unlock, waited 6 days, got a code, that code was not accepted and it just took me back to the telus default.  I guess only telus can unlock it so I have no choice by the looks of it than to go back and sign on with them for the next 6 months so they will unlock it after being a customer again for 6 months.  Just doesn't seem right.  Hubs are a pain in the ....!

JEM

If only that would work... but it doesn't

JEM

I went to that link you passed on out of desperation... and clicked on about 5 different ads.  That link is very deceptive and there was no download on that link for the software...

JEM
Yes..it must be preprogrammed..so it's just a matter of figuring out how to fix that....

@Jeay If you do find unlocking is the only path forward Public Mobile may be able to do that for you: PM Unlocking Service.

If you are unable to access the APN setting manually it suggests Telus preprogammed them and set a secret passsword. I have seen offers for similar products and they usually arrive preprogrammed. 

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Jeay

I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your device, 

Is your phone allowing you to delete the current APNs and set new ones? Please send me a private message with your IMEI number. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Well it does seem to be locked to Telus unless selecting one of the kAPNs allows you to modify the APN settings. Perhaps @Mary_M or @Shazia_K can find some time tomorrow to let us know their thoughts.

Found this in a Telus manual: "The Profile list should be set to TELUS ISP, and the Static APN should be defaulted to isp.telus.com. Click Next to continue." If the Static APN can be changed give it a try.

Jeay

Yes, from telus.. and is paid out.. but I didn't think I needed to get it unlocked on PM

Jeay

@Luddite wrote:

@Jeay Please tell us whether your hub was acquired from Telus. If so, it does not require unlocking to work on PM.

As far as setting up APN on that hub, suggest you review the operating manual. Found this reference: Hub APN

Perhaps a factory reset: Factory reset

Let us know how it goes.

I read that reference and I have done all of that but the area that says:  (Make sure you type the right APN for your SIM card provider)  That's the part I don't know.  I saw on another place here in the community that I'd use:  Public Mobile and APN:  sp.mb.com BUT.. the default only allows the selection:  Telus ISP, Telus VPN or Telus Connect.  You cannot type in the answer but must select one of those.  I hadn't thought from discussions on the community that I would have to have this unlocked as it is a telus product but it's not working.. so something is wrong.  I see in on my wireless selections but it says "not connected to the internet" when I try to get on.

Jeay

I read that reference and I have done all of that but the area that says:  (Make sure you type the right APN for your SIM card provider)  That's the part I don't know.  I saw on another place here in the community that I'd use:  Public Mobile and APN:  sp.mb.com BUT.. the default only allows the selection:  Telus ISP, Telus VPN or Telus Connect.  You cannot type in the answer but must select one of those.  I hadn't thought from discussions on the community that I would have to have this unlocked as it is a telus product but it's not working.. so something is wrong.  I see in on my wireless selections but it says "not connected to the internet" when I try to get on.

Jeay

Hi Luddite

My hub was bought through telus but I got the new SIM card from PM and then went in and purchased a 90 day plan with data only for the hub but it won't work.  Not sure why.  I did do a factory reset on it and the passwords are all back to default so I'm sure THAT part worked.  Re:  APN:  The only selection for the kAPN was Telus ISP, Telus VPN or Telus Connect.  Not sure which one of those would I use then on Public Mobile?

Jeay

Hi, yes I did get it from Telus.  When I called them and after a 3 hr wait, they told me that they would not unlock it as it wasn't currently active through them.  I'd disconnected it a few months ago but yes, I bought it and paid it out through telus mobility.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kayfun101 wrote:
He is correct hope this solution helps you out of the lock that Telus put on you even if it's a brother or sister carrier still everything needs to be unlocked in cellphone land or SIM card land lol

Wrong. If the phone works on Telus, it does not need to be unlocked.

And @Kayfun101 no offence, can I ask you a favour? We appreciate your help in this community, but your answers sometimes make no sense as the punctuation is missing. I have to read your answers two times to understand what you wat to communicate to the respective member.

@Jeay Please tell us whether your hub was acquired from Telus. If so, it does not require unlocking to work on PM.

As far as setting up APN on that hub, suggest you review the operating manual. Found this reference: Hub APN

Perhaps a factory reset: Factory reset

Let us know how it goes.

Kayfun101
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
He is correct hope this solution helps you out of the lock that Telus put on you even if it's a brother or sister carrier still everything needs to be unlocked in cellphone land or SIM card land lol

nishufan

There is a software called "FMC unlocker" can unlock the hub by free. It may fix this issue.

http://www.unlocksimsolution.com/2015/02/download-fmc-unlock-v10-huawei-wireless.html

Kayfun101
Anything that can tell us if it's locked with Telus as a carrier or not 99.9 percent of phones with the big 3 are locked to the carrier and needs to be unlocked by the user needs to request it usually costs around 52.50 to unlock a phone now but use to be like 200 or more

nishufan

Where did you get your hub? Did you get your hub from Telus? 

Kayfun101
Is it unlocked at all could be locked
Need Help? Let's chat.