cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive incoming phone calls but I can make outgoing calls. Texts and data also work.

Jamesvb99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently switched over to public mobile from another carrier. My plan includes unlimited calling and teting Canada wide as well as some data. Upon activating my sim card, I found I can text and use data without issue as well as make phone calls. It then came to my attention that I cannot receive phone calls, they are sent directly to an automated message when I am called which states that "the customer you are calling is not available at the time". I have had everything else working for over 4 hours but still cannot receive calls. Any advice?

8 REPLIES 8

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Well ports between Telus brands don’t actually get ported anywhere, it’s still serviced by Telus Mobility, just under a different brand name.  Hence it completes very quickly if it’s a valid port.

When I ported from Koodo Postpaid, my SIM stopped working two minutes after the Public Mobile activation was completed in store.  When I popped in the Public SIM, it said my port was complete already and everything worked.

Same went for someone else in my family who came from Telus prepaid.  SIM stopped working in two minutes and the new SIM was all ready to go with the number ported.

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

According to Public Mobile's Knowledge Base, porting should take less than two hours.  Here's what Public Mobile says: If you’ve waited more than 2 hours, and you’re still experiencing issues, you should contact our Moderator Team. (ref.: this page, about midway between top and bottom).  When your number transfer is complete, you will receive a confirmation text message.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jamesvb99 

Did you port your number from other carrier?

If yes, your port is not completed yet.

Number porting is a 2 steps process:
Step 1. According to what you described, PM has done its work to set up your number at PM so that you can call out, send text and use data.

Step 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.

Who it your old provider?
Are you porting a landline or VoIP number to PM?
If yes, it will take up to a week to port.
If you port from a mobile number, it may take up to 2 days to complete. Usually couple of hours.  You can continue to use your old SIM card until it stops working. Then, start using PM SIM card.

@Lieux wrote:

@Jamesvb99 Advice??? Patience!!! The port can take up to 2 days. You can use your old sim until the port is finished. You will received a text to let you know that your port was successful.

FYI: cellular numbers should take less than 4 hours. Koodo post-paid has been as short as 10 minutes.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Jamesvb99 If you still can’t receive call after you will need to reach the moderator here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 and ask them to help you. Waiting time is few hours to 2 days.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Jamesvb99  These symptoms indicate a failed port-in UNLESS you are transferring a voip or landline, which take 7-10 days. So if it's a cellular number, you need assistance from the Moderator Team. Click this: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 to send a private message to the moderator team with a description of your issue.

Usually they answer within in 24 hours, but can take a few days.

Do not send multiple messages. This increases the queue and adds to the time moderators take to locate all your messages.

Welcome to Public Mobile. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Jamesvb99 Advice??? Patience!!! The port can take up to 2 days. You can use your old sim until the port is finished. You will received a text to let you know that your port was successful.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.