cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages from Twitter

memetis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I remember reading in the community about this issue but was unable to find it again.

Just a question, what does TELUS (the owner of Public Mobile, Telus and Koodo) have to fear by blocking text messages being sent from Twitter?

People will not always be in an area that has data, and emergency messages that are sent from Government Agencies that are on Twitter have a better chance of reaching more people.

If Telus is not afraid, then how about allowing text messages from Twitter?

Darren

21 REPLIES 21

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Cheetah24 wrote:

@srlawren: Unfortunately my phone is old and does not work well with newer apps. And also for my purpose I don't quite need the Twitter app. Just their sms notifications are enough. Some carries support the 21212 short code. I wish PM would also support it in the future. 🙂

@Cheetah24 thanks for the explanation--makes sense.

@David_J @Brooke_C is it possible to put this request on your radar, to add the 21212 short code that Twitter uses for SMS communications?  Pretty please?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren: Unfortunately my phone is old and does not work well with newer apps. And also for my purpose I don't quite need the Twitter app. Just their sms notifications are enough. Some carries support the 21212 short code. I wish PM would also support it in the future. 🙂

srlawren

@Cheetah24 @memetis are you guys using flip phones or something?  Would you not get a richer experience using the Twitter app (or a 3rd party app?  I love Fenix 2 on Android, for example, but there are many.)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

As I have pointed out in the following thread, I too am facing this issue where Twitter SMS are not supported by PM. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Text-From-Twitter/m-p/238960/highligh...

A workaround I believe is to create a hook from Twitter to SMS using IFTTT (https://ifttt.com/discover) which seems to work great but IFTTT has a cap of 100 messages per month. 

srlawren

@memetis odd, I found this on Telus' site:

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/twitter-on-your-mobile-device

Spoiler
You can access Twitter via:
  • Text message: Send and receive tweets by text message by sending the word START in a text message to 21212 and follow the prompts to set up your account. You can now tweet by sending text messages to 21212. You will also receive text alerts from accounts you follow. Standard rates would apply. For more information visit Twitter text message

That sure makes it sound as if it's supported and should work.  I wonder, do you have your mobile data turned on?  Perhaps it's trying to use MMS messages, which require the Mobiel Data feature on your phone to be enabled, even if you have no data plan.  (MMS messages do not come out of your data bucket if you do have a data plan, they are separate, but do require mobile data turned on to send and receive).

srlawren

@memetis sorry to see you go.  I imagine there is more to the story than Telus blocking this for some sort of sinister reason.  I have been using Telus since 2003 and PM since last fall and have never run into issues with things being blocked or not being able to access services I wanted or needed.  I understand your need to move on if you can't get the services you need, and wish you all the best.  

OK enjoy your new carrier. At least it's easy to switch. Everyone should analyse their wants and needs and sign up with whoever satisfies them most.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

memetis

Why would I use data with an app when I don"t have to. Its clear that the owner of Public Mobile (Telus) does NOT want people to be informed in ways that would benefit the public through SMS messages instead of using data.  With that I will be moving two lines away from Public at the end of the month and the fourth line that WAS going to public will be going to another provider.

ALL forms of communication should be available to everyone at ALL times (data, sms - including short codes, voice) and when a carrier fails to provide this, then is it worth staying with that carrier?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle
@memetis Have you considered using the Twitter app. I guess it would use small amounts of data, but new items could be set to appear as Notifications.

Sorry I can't be more help. Clearly you cannot use sms on PM to Tweet, and even though Twitter suggests they can send sms to you it's not coming though. 

Good luck.

memetis

I added the number BUT still did NOT receive any text messages from TWITTER. The only message that came across was a promo from Twitter within a 24 hour period.

@memetis This is the message I received when I added my PM number to Twitter: "With your current carrier, you will be able to receive text messages from Twitter, but will not be able to use Twitter over SMS."

So it looks like just half your requirement?

memetis

If they can get it fixed, then I will move the final fourth number over. I have already moved three numbers over.

Darren

Too bad. Robot Sad

I'm happy with just email notification from Twitter. Hope it's not a deal breaker for you.

I wonder if a texting app would let those notifications through? Hangouts maybe.

memetis

Not that simple. You have to set it up in your Twitter account setting to allow Twitter to sent you messages from people you follow. When I was with another carrier, this option was always there, with the switch to public, the option is no longer there.

Here is the message from Twitter when I try and use my Public Mobile number for messages from Twitter: With your current carrier, you will not be able to receive sms messages from Twitter

Just in case it is this simple: have you tried adding +1 in front of the phone number when you entered it? Sometimes I need that to complete calls with voip apps even within Canada.

memetis

@Luddite wrote:

Have you confirmed that PM is blocking Twitter sms? If so, post your idea in Public Lab for the development team to consider.

Thanks for the info

I have posted the same question in the Public Lab.

Darren

memetis

I have. Out of the two numbers I ported, I cannot add these numbers to Twitter to start sending SMS Messages from Twitter. These same two numbers could recieve SMS messages from Twitter when they were with another Carrier.

Have you confirmed that PM is blocking Twitter sms? If so, post your idea in Public Lab for the development team to consider.

memetis

You can receive regular text messages from people that you follow on Twitter by turning on SMS notifications. This can be done after you allow SMS notifications in your Twitter account settings. BUT TELUS is preventing this from being done. WIND, BELL allow this but not TELUS (which ownes Public).

manelgm

What do you mean by text messages sent by twitter?

Need Help? Let's chat.