cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Friday 2020 Promotions?

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

As we all await the start of the Black Friday promotions I am sure that many of us are wondering how active Public Mobile will be this year. It seems to me that last year we had a bit of a heads up...maybe from Tiana that there would be lots of excitement. And there was! 

There was a second month free promo in November that ended and then restarted a few days later. It was a bit unusual in that ALL plans qualified, not just $25 or $35 or higher plans. Something for everyone!

Then they launched a referral promotion that stacked with the other ongoing promotions. This may have been the one that continued to give the new customer the normal $10 but gave $20 to the person making the referral as well s the $1/30 day credit.

Then they bumped the rewards even further by adding a 5Gb data add-on bonus for new customers though this may have been for $35 and higher plans only. 

There were various end dates to these offers, possibly Dec 25 or Dec 31. But they only ever had “Until Further Notice” on the referral bonus and t continued until Jan 2 or 3 when it finally vanished without any announcement at all. I guess it fell through the cracks being left in place a bit longer than the other promotions. There was also some sort of glitch with one of the promotions that ended and then restarted, probably poor wording but it resulted in the people who activated on the few days between promotions receiving all the goodies as well.

And of course while ALL of THIS was going on PM offered all existing customers the free 1 Gb data add-on AND the 400 minutes of International Calling add-ons by simply logging in and claiming their Christmas Presents!

That is about as close as I can come to summarizing Black Friday 2019, any corrections and additions are welcome. But more than that, lets discuss any of the 2020 Black Friday New Customer Promotions here if and when there are any. Here is hoping!!!

In trying to look up previous years promotions it is obvious that all or most discussions in ONE place makes life easier. Even the PM announcements keep changing with new ones being added creating confusion. (There is another BF 2020 topic that I considered adding this too but it specifically references deals for EXISTING customers, not New Customer Activations).

AE_Collector

26 REPLIES 26

Okay so officially Black Friday 2020 was a bit of a dud here at Public Mobile. Last year was great though to be fair it started out with a fairly conventional promo that ended after Cyber Monday. But then the following Friday (1 year ago today) they launched a Holiday Promo that carried on until Christmas Day or maybe New Years Day. Over this period of time they improved the initial offer with some more perks and there was an overlapping Referral promotion as well. I think that was the $10 for the new customer (like usual) plus $20 for the person making the referral as well as the ongoing $1/30 days. Plus like this year there were Holiday Gifts that could be claimed up until Christmas Day by all customers including the newly activating customers. It was quite the “New Customer Event” at Public Mobile.

Below is this years (2020) Black Friday Promo details:

AE_Collector

E38CBED0-1F6F-4E5A-8A48-57C9E2DE3190.jpeg 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rosguru wrote:

I would like to see Announcements posted with easy access to the complete wording and dates and do a sort of "freeze panes" idea so all comments and posts following are on the same screen but separated and which can be easily changed to "see latest post first or see earliest post first".  

@Rosguru 

Big promotions are usually on the home page. Other promotions are under Announcements. Then you click on the bolded subject line to open the whole post. Or click the See more... to the lower right of the post to expand the whole post. It loses some formatting but at least you can read all the text.

There's already a Latest Posts link in the main Community page. I imagine all the regulars refresh that as often as they like.

Rosguru
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would like to see Announcements posted with easy access to the complete wording and dates and do a sort of "freeze panes" idea so all comments and posts following are on the same screen but separated and which can be easily changed to "see latest post first or see earliest post first".  

@AE_Collector wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Some of us grew up in the depression! (Not really).....

AE_Collector

Yes...just after....I know we are of similar age. Maybe we were both  in the 18% mortgage era. That causes you to rethink your spending habits. 

@LurganIeUk 

Some of us grew up in the depression! (Not really).....

AE_Collector

I think that I used to at least occasionally get promo emails but it has been a long time now. I think that @darlicious said this was her experience as well.

And just as annoying is that they don't always post Promos here on the Announcement board. Someone needs to make sure they post each Promo here for discussion and to provide a reference to look up later when questions about details of old promos are asked of us. 

They could go even further and have a Promos Area instead of the Announcements Area  to file them under once they are no longer pinned to the home page. There are so many retroactive questions about specific promotions, I have wished I made my own list of them all with details over my two years here. Ensuring that each one is announced wit hits details and filing them in one area would really improve our service t people asking questions here.

AE_Collector

@cavemantoronto wrote:

Public Mobile doesn't do holiday promos too often. They usually ignore holidays. Last year was exceptional with the free stuff but that doesn't always happen.

Are not some of these freebies based on the competitions’ offers?

@Korth wrote:

@AE_Collector 

I know the feeling ... I intentionally made the effort to use up my 100 talk minutes this month because I wanted to see PM's "you only have 10 minutes left" message for myself. Alas, the message was sent while I was talking, I didn't see it until after the call was finished, and I ended up inadvertently using 4 of my free add-on minutes.

If my calling habits continue to be so recklessly sloppy every month then I've only got enough freebies left to last another 29 years.

Why is it? That some of us want to “SAVE” the freebies? Age, Income, or?

I have a Scottish last name but am Irish. 

@Triguy wrote:

You could signup for any promos to keep up to date.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#plans-start

I have signed up with 2 email addresses. I have NEVER had an email for a Promo. 

Has any one here ever received one?

dac13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hoping for something exciting for existing customers for Black Friday, the holidays or just to give some excitement to existing customers.  We all need something exciting to end this dreadful Covid year.  Keeping my eyes peeled!  🙂

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile doesn't do holiday promos too often. They usually ignore holidays. Last year was exceptional with the free stuff but that doesn't always happen.

@JLakerson wrote:

Have you gotten these free gifts randomly or for a specific occasion like the holidays, etc. ?Yeah, that makes sense that their promotions gear primarily towards new customers since as existing customers, we have a few opportunities to bring the price of our plan done with the different rewards.

So far the gifts from PM have been entirely random. They have no obligation to give things away, we can't predict them and we really shouldn't have any expectation of receiving more. Although PM has received a lot of positive response for these gifts, of course, and no other carrier does something similar, so it seems likely PM will continue being generous.

The most recent gifts coincided with compelling offers being made by certain competitors, though that doesn't mean much since it's equally difficult to predict exactly when and what attractive promos the competition might offer in the future.

PM's best promos are invariably geared towards "new customers only" so PM's gifts are (I think) geared towards rewarding existing customers for sticking around. People who keep chasing great deals from one carrier to another seem to consistently "just miss" qualifying for these perks.

JLakerson

@AE_Collector 

Have you gotten these free gifts randomly or for a specific occasion like the holidays, etc. ?Yeah, that makes sense that their promotions gear primarily towards new customers since as existing customers, we have a few opportunities to bring the price of our plan done with the different rewards.

@Korth 

I had been meaning to ask that!

Meanwhile... still waiting to see if it will be another Flash Sale Friday around here or something a bit more exciting. Is it “too soon” to que up the Jeopardy Theme song music? I can see Black Friday from here....

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote: 

Reckless behaviour like that will get you no where young man!

Reckless behaviour has actually gotten me all sorts of exciting results in all sorts of exciting places. How else would I have ended up at PM?

@Korth 

Reckless behaviour like that will get you no where young man!

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

I know the feeling ... I intentionally made the effort to use up my 100 talk minutes this month because I wanted to see PM's "you only have 10 minutes left" message for myself. Alas, the message was sent while I was talking, I didn't see it until after the call was finished, and I ended up inadvertently using 4 of my free add-on minutes.

If my calling habits continue to be so recklessly sloppy every month then I've only got enough freebies left to last another 29 years.

LOL ... I would be like you but having these add-ons caused me to relax just very slightly on not exceeding the 250 Mb that comes with my $15 plan and therefore I have used a little less than 100mb from one of the 1Gb add-ons now. With a total of 7Gb of data add-one I may just be set for life! And I did find occasion to use 2 minutes of International calling to phone 20 miles from me to Washington State one day! Therefore I need some more gifts as well!

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector I have yet to touch the two 1GB freebies, the 5Gb freebie, the 400 minutes long distance freebie or the free 1000 Canada wide minutes. I could use more! lol.

@JLakerson 

They dont give existing customers promos like $10 off each month for 6 months or a second month free as they are to lure in new customers. But unlike the vast majority of service providers, PM has been giving existing customers some free gifts occasionally. This seems like even less like normal behaviour from a provider in that PM already is a low cost provider, not a full featured top end provider. 

I started December 2018 and have been given two separate 1 Gb data add-ons, a 5 Gb data add-on, a 400 minutes of International calling add-on and 100 minutes of Canada calling add-on. Thus I do find myself wondering what we might score this Christmas!

AE_Collector

JLakerson

It would be great if they had some promotions for existing customers as a lot of the promotions they've been posting in the Announcements page have been primarily for new customers.

This year we had Covid. A big hit on the economy.

Companies like the Big Three weren't as drastically affected - they say they were, but really those subscriber numbers and ARPUs still keep steadily rising. But many of their customers were affected, are still affected by cost crunch.

It seems like a great time to attract customers with low-cost plans. Can't really make them any cheaper but can make them better with some goodies.

It seems like a bad time to attract customers with high-cost plans. Too many people are realizing they need to downsize expenses, pay for what they need, not pay for luxuries. Yet the Big Three keep trying to move customers up to their high-cost tiers and options, gotta drive their ARPU numbers back up.

So I think there'll be a smattering of offerings across the whole range.

The low-cost plans will throw in some bonus data or whatever. But Public Mobile won't want to give away too much - they have no way to lock customers into longer terms (which is why they stretch bonus data across months instead of just dumping the bucket all up front) - so they'll just keep pace by matching up with whatever Lucky offers, as usual.

The high-cost plans will rely on "exclusive" smartphone devices to make them appealing - devices the carriers won't let people buy any other way - and Public Mobile lacks phone subsidies/contracts so they're going to be stuck just passing those offers along for Koodo and Telus.

Kinda sucks since it's easy to get referrals when there's good offers. Lately it's been difficult to get referrals who can find better offers elsewhere.

I am hoping for something close to last year this Black Friday and Christmas season but who knows. Could be nothing. Last year we had a bit of a heads up about some excitement just around the corner but crickets so far this year. But it can still happen....

AE_Collector

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@AE_Collector Thanks! Interesting to see what would be for this year😊

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could signup for any promos to keep up to date.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#plans-start

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@AE_Collector  

Soooooo much to think about about. 

My mind can't handle the stress of the wait!!!!

Need Help? Let's chat.