cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what to turn off or do to use less data (MB) on iphone

Babydog1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I pay $15. a month on my plan w\ P.M. that has 250 MB a month , I mostly needed it for the cell phone . I'm not very Tech smart but what to know how to turn off something that is using my MB that I don't need that may be on or apps that are on that I don't need to have as I'm mostly using the plan for a phoner and last month I run out of MB and don't know why or how . Can someone help me with this problem. Thank you Babydog1

9 REPLIES 9

on2wheels
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As a new iphone user this caught me off guard too. I monitor my data use closely as I don't enjoy paying for things I don't need.  One more thing Apple hasn't added is a data cap limit to iphones, but even with all the switches flipped for limiting data use iphone's still consume more data than Androids, and it isn't all iMessage.

Babydog1

Thanks very much everyone for answering to my question.  on what to turn off or do to use less data (MB) on iPhone. Cheers  Babydog1

ILovePublic12

Make sure to go to your settings (in data), and take a look at what has been using up your data. You can limit the data usage of specific apps.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Babydog1 

- You can disable Cellular Data before you go to sleep by going to Settings>Cellular>disable Cellular Data and enable when you wake up.

- You can set the Background App Refresh to WiFi only. Going to Settings>Background App Refresh>set to WiFi so it won’t use data for updates.

The last option is to set the phone on enable Airplane mode before going to sleep and disable when you wake up. The drawback is that you won’t get incoming calls during the night if it is an emergency call but this is the easiest and fastest way to eliminate data usage.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Honestly, 250MB is such a miniscule amount of data that you'd be better just turning it off altogether, and only turn it on when you need it for something. That would probably last me 1 day when I'm close to wifi most the day, and I'm not a heavy data user. If I'm away from home that would probably last a couple hours. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@softech - subject line says iphone 🙂

@Babydog1 - if you use iMessage this requires a wifi connection or data to work. This could burn up data without realizing it. So be sure to have SMS and MMS enabled in the settings of your device for texting purposes.

William994

Hey there! Great question. You have two options , you can turn off your data entirely or you can limit which apps have access to your cellular data. Depending on if you are iOS or Android it will differ where you see these options.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Babydog1  

What phone do you have? Android or iPhone?

Best to simply turn off Mobile data when not use

For sure turn off auto sync or Auto Cloud backup

Turn off Background  sync

From App store, disable update on Mobile data

iPhone or Android, you should have a similar screen to turn off mobile data for app.  I suggest you to go through the list and turn off all of them excect those you really need

E-iPhone_Data.png

You can also download some Data tracker, one that can handle 30 days cycle that PM follows.  Remember to set the cycle to 30 days and setup the first day of the current cycle to match your PM current cycle.  One such app on Android is Data Usage Manager & Monitor ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&hl=en_US )

My Data Manager VPN Security https://apps.apple.com/us/app/my-data-manager-vpn-security/id477865384

Thanks @esjliv for reminder, updated accordingly

@Babydog1 wrote:

I pay $15. a month on my plan w\ P.M. that has 250 MB a month , I mostly needed it for the cell phone . I'm not very Tech smart but what to know how to turn off something that is using my MB that I don't need that may be on or apps that are on that I don't need to have as I'm mostly using the plan for a phoner and last month I run out of MB and don't know why or how . Can someone help me with this problem. Thank you Babydog1

The only way to entirely prevent data from being used acciently is to to turn mobile data off and to only enable it when desired.  250MB of data is a very small amount and even background data used combine with psuh e-mail (especially if the app is set to automatically download images and attachments) can very easily use the entire amount quickly.

Need Help? Let's chat.