cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use of phone in USA and outside of Canada and USA

cjasp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

First question:

When in USA can i call for free to Canada and the USA?

Second question:

When travelling outside of Canada and the USA can I use WIFI or insert a local SIM card of the country i am in without disturbing Public Mobile's eSIM card? Please give details as it is very important to me. I am not interested in buying addition international minutes at this time. Thank you

10 REPLIES 10

Raymond-123

I am only a user like you, but just came back from USA. You can definitely connect to wi-fi and the internet witch PM. To make calls, you can access out of Us numbers via internet Messenger.

But if you want to call US or Canada eg, you need to connect to another provider from US. public mobile have a 15 day plan with limited data( when wi-fi) is not available$15 , very reasonable rate.

As for using a U.S. simm card, just remove yours, save it for when you return to your country and install the IS simm card. as far as i know, you cannot install 2 simm cards at same time on same phone.

Have a good trip…

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cjasp   You can connect to WiFi anywhere you want. However, your PM number and calling/texting will only work in Canada and the US.

TextNow's terms and conditions only intend it to be used in Canada or the US. I have talked with people in travel forums who have used it in other countries, including in Europe. I plan on trying textnow in Japan in October. Just be aware that textnow can deactivate your account if you do so. Because the account is free, I believe that you can always open a new account under a new email address. Good luck.

cjasp

Thank you very much, that is what I was wondering!  

@cjasp wrote:

Thank you very much!  Yes, I do have the Canada US plan.  In Europe can I connect to any wifi with the PM eSIM card?

@cjasp 

Yes, you can connect to Wifi while traveling in Europe with PM eSIM card.  You don't even need PM SIM card to connect to Wifi in Europe.

@cjasp wrote:

Thank you very much!  Yes, I do have the Canada US plan.  In Europe can I connect to any wifi with the PM eSIM card?

Hello @cjasp Sadly no. Public Mobile does not offer WiFi calling at this time. Best to look at apps like TextNow and create a Canadian number before you go there. You can use it on WiFi and or a data SIM. https://www.airalo.com/

cjasp

@cjasp 

1 - With the Canada/USA plan, you can call and receive calls in both countries.

2 - Yes you can use wifi or a local SIM without affecting your PM eSIM.

cjasp

Thank you so much!  I do have the Canada US plan for $34

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If your plan includes US roaming or you have a US roaming add-on then yes. If you don't it will not work.

There should be no issues using a physical SIM from another carrier alongside your Public Mobile eSIM, how to do this exactly will depend on the phone.

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cjasp @I assume you just have a Canada plan only at this time

You could upgrade to $34 Canada-US PM plan to do this.

Or you could add an app like Textnow which gives you a second number to make calls or texts in both Canada and US. You just need Wi-Fi or a data sim/esim in the US to make it work.  It would not affect your PM plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.