cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

travelling to Cuba?

Kelso888
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello so i havent left the country since ive been using PM, im heading to cuba in a few days and was wondering a few things?

1) does PM work there?(from what i read it doesnt? thats fine i dont want coverage lol)

2) does everyone still just leave there phones in airplane mode when they travel out of country? even if there is no coverage in the country you went to?

3) im guess since it is all prepaid there isnt services you can use that are paid for so there wouldnt be a surprise bill?

any other tips for traveling with PM that might be useful in the future?

13 REPLIES 13

@Kelso888 

Thanks, have a Monti or Hoyo for me. 👍

@Kelso888 wrote:

yeah im not worried about losing it or anything, just dont want a surprise bill lol

Surprise bill?

There's no surprises here @Kelso888  - this place is prepaid.   

You only get what you previously paid for - you don't get charged for anything like on those post-paid services such as roaming or out of country fees or long-distance calling or data overages.

None of that here... never was.

@Kelso888 wrote:

phones waterproof, and kids have old devices now. so bringing are phones and using wifi is the only way to talk to them. losing or breaking it can happen anywhere or anytime so that would be like saying leave your phone when you go to work might drop it. plus id rather have my phone in my pocket then a 5lb DLSR camera around my neck.

Indeed losing or breaking them can happen anywhere.   I'm just sharing what I tend to do when I'm somewhere I'm not going to use cell service and only need wi-fi connectivity.   Or when on a risk-taking adventure where all I really want a device for is to take a few pics.

Why risk it if you have a 'burner' device to use since the PM service cannot be used there.

If you don't, as indicated, then just make a decision and go with it.

Done.

Happy travels!!!

Kelso888

thanks! 

Kelso888

exactly what i was thinking the answers would be! thank you

Kelso888

phones waterproof, and kids have old devices now. so bringing are phones and using wifi is the only way to talk to them. losing or breaking it can happen anywhere or anytime so that would be like saying leave your phone when you go to work might drop it. plus id rather have my phone in my pocket then a 5lb DLSR camera around my neck.

Kelso888

yeah im not worried about losing it or anything, just dont want a surprise bill lol

Kelso888

Cuba is one of my favorite places! this will be the 10+ time there, last few years had much more extra spending money so took the family to mexico for the past 5 years. but wife and i wanted a short break so 10 days in cayo coco will be enough to relax. and ill have a cigar or 2 for you!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Kelso888 

Enjoy your time in Cuba. I alway wanted to go to Cuba and try one of those fine Cuban cigar.

If you can get wifi in Cuba, you can use WhatsApp or TextNow app for free calling and texting.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

I used to travel alot so I bring my phone with me. Never needed to contact anyone back home I'm on vacation yo! But things do happen. I always leave my phone on airplane mode from the minute the plane takes off until the minute it arrives back in Canada. 

I use my phone to take pictures. No longer walking with the Sony camera.  I have never paid for or was charged long distance. 

But as others say, you don't want it to get lost, stolen, damaged.... better safe than sorry.

You have to do what you think will be best for you.

Have a great trip🌄

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

I'd go one step further than most @Kelso888 

Perhaps leave your PM phone and SIM card home in Canada.

If you have a prior older device on a shelf, bring THAT to Cuba to use available Wi-Fi while in airports or at destination.

This way, if it gets broken, water-logged, lost or stolen it's no big deal.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Kelso888 

1. Sorry, PM won't work there

2. you can do that., since it has no coverage, airplane mode or not does not matter

3. no worries no surprise bill

If you need data service in Cuba , check the local data preapid plan there

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Kelso888 

1) does PM work there?(from what i read it doesnt? thats fine i dont want coverage lol)

A) Public Mobile only works in Canada or the United States. You'll have to look for a phone service card that works out there.

2) does everyone still just leave there phones in airplane mode when they travel out of country? even if there is no coverage in the country you went to?

A) If you don't want to pay for service out there and you have access to free WiFi, you can download TextNow app and pick a local number to where you live and it's free to call back to Canada if you need to.. using WiFi of course or if you pick up a data only Cuba card while there.

3) im guess since it is all prepaid there isnt services you can use that are paid for so there wouldnt be a surprise bill?

A) Once again, Public Mobile will not work there.

EDIT: I'd strongly suggest you leave your SIM card back home just in case you lose your phone while in Cuba. Then just put it back in once you get home. Better to be safe than sorry. The worst part, you'd just have to purchase another SIM card when you get home.

Need Help? Let's chat.