cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

too much data usage

drew238
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I upgraded to a 4g plan and notice the data usage has quadrupled, if not more using 4 g compared to 3g for the same time I am online.  Is this normal? 

Note:  I am not downloading movies or any game play, just some news vids and online searches etc

15 REPLIES 15

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@drew238 

Set your data tracker to the correct dates of your 30 day cycle. Then go thru your apps to see which app(s) are using most of your data. Do you have your data saver on? Background usage off? You should set your data warning (100MB) and data limiter(250MB) so you can monitor your usage and understand when, where and why you have high usage.

When I got my new motor g7+ I immediately employed all of my data usage tools. With only 250mb of data in my plan but 20+GB of data add ons I always set my data warning to 100mb and limiter to 200mb so that I know when I am consuming a lot data and to stop it before it switches from plan data to add on data and it becomes a costly lesson in data management. If I waited for a 75% usage warning from pm I would burn thru $225+ worth of data add ons!

A few weeks later after New Year's I suddenly started to get high usage warnings from my phone and hitting my data limiter. I learned that I shouldn't be searching back thru my 150,000+ Google photos for a photo of @maximum_gato  from 2014 as that uses a lot of data! But the warnings continued....until I finally found the culprit?!! Without noticing it seems pc optimum added video to their app. Even though I wasn't viewing the video it would play in the background when I accessed the app to scan my card or look at my offers. Once I turned off video in the app's settings (or I could set it to play on wifi only) the high data usage went away.

Take the time to adjust all of these kind of settings in each of your apps settings and the data settings of each app in your phone. And turn off the wifi assist setting as well in your phone. For Android you may have to check in your developer/builder options as well.

HI @drew238 

Go to the Mobile data usage page.  you can see how much you used.  I think you can also play around the start date of the cycle , then you can tell how much data used recorded on your device

drew238

android

@drew238 wrote:

Yes, I checked it and still using about a gig a day....this seems ridiculous to me. 

@drew238   did you check your phone?

you are using iPhone or Android?

drew238

Yes, I checked it and still using about a gig a day....this seems ridiculous to me. 

dreager
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Same issue here. On a 15 g plan and they say I used 10.5 g in the first 8 days of the month, I would normally use 3-4 g, or 400 mgs/day. They are doubling my usage. I've been in touch with cs-agents; had 5 reps and not one helped me other than to say there may be a glitch since the new page setup and to wait it out. They can't access the link to my account to see my usage which totaled 5 g for the first 8 days which I don't dispute, but NOT 10,5g. I'll be walking soon if this keeps up.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

480p is maximum SD. HD starts at 720p.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@drew238 

If possible download video content on wifi to watch later when you are not on wifi or if video or image content is not necessary you can turn it off or minimize it in the app settings. For example YouTube uses the following data usage per hour....

• 240p—80MB of data or 1.3MB/min
  • 360p—300MB of data or 3.3MB/min
  • 480p—500MB of data or 5.0MB/min
  • 720p—1.5GB of data or 8.3MB/min
  • 1080p—3GB of data or 11.6MB/min

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@drew238 

change video quality to 480p is also will be HD,

turn off all apps background.

@drew238

If you are watching videos on 1080p, you can change it down to 720p on your phone.

Just tap on the settings icon on the top right of the video then quality then lower down.

drew238

I am using android.  What is travel mode and how to i access it?

drew238

yes...some days are almost a gig in less than 2 hours.  This does not seem right to me.  As far as scaling is concerned, I don't know how to check that.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@drew238 

Any apps you use that contain video or HD imagery will automatically adjust the resolution quality based on your data speed. Go into each of your apps individual settings and chose the travel mode setting to reduce their mobile data usage. Then go thru your device's app settings and ensure all your background data is turned off. You will also be able to see the apps that are the biggest drain on your mobile data.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Did you actually check your usage day by day through your account?

Do you see any unusual usage?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@drew238 , many of the video apps auto scale the video quality to data speed.  That could be a contributing factor.  

Need Help? Let's chat.