cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texts

jimkretired
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I havent received texts from a friend, who showed me on his phone that they were sent. I receive replies from him, but not new texts. What could be going wrong?

19 REPLIES 19

Alpha_ghetti

Installing a third party client is not a long term solution for the recipient. It is only going to cause problems for the recipient in the future when they end up with the exact same problem whereby their messages are not being received yet they're not being notified that the attempt failed. In theory RCS should fall back to SMS if RCS can't be sent but it often doesn't.

In practice I recommend that the sender and recipient turn RCS off (& in this case not install the Google Messages app) since it causes so many problems since almost no one supports it (other than Google). If that's the reason the OP couldn't receive messages then the problem is with the sender. Their client is failing to send the message without notifying them that the message failed to send.

I used to use RCS with Google Messages and turned it off because it wasn't letting me know that messages had failed to send yet weren't being received.

It's the sender's problem, not the recipient's problem. The sender needs to turn RCS off.

If you want instant messaging you're probably better off using iMessage if you're on an iPhone or WhatsApp which is available on Android and iOS. Stick to using SMS and MMS if you're using carrier services.

@jimkretired wrote:

got a couple of texts from him. Maybe its' fixed! 

@jimkretired 

bingo!!

the Google Message is very useful on Android 🙂

jimkretired

got a couple of texts from him. Maybe its' fixed! 

jimkretired

I downloaded it and sent the message to my friend, awaiting his reply

@jimkretired  

clear cache:

Open Settings, and then swipe to and tap Apps.

Select or search for the app you want to clear.

Tap Storage, and then tap Clear cache

jimkretired

date and time are correct. When I tried to follow your instructions, I got to 2 different Apps >Messages areas, and neither of them has a clear cache 

jimkretired

correction, July 2022

@jimkretired 

Couple of things you should check:

- Is the date and time correct on your phone? A friend Samsung A11 had the wrong time and he had a long delay in getting his text.

- Clear the cache on the message app by going to Settings (Gear icon)>Apps>Message>clear cache.

@jimkretired   you likely still using Samsung Stock Messaging app

Download Google Message and use it as the default message app.  Ask your friend to resend the text and see if it works

jimkretired

I have a Samsung Galaxy A13 purchased June 2021

jimkretired

I rebooted the phone, but don't know how to clear message cache

@jimkretired  are you using iPhone or Android?

and try one more device reboot

jimkretired

yes I receive texts from others, and how do I tell if he's sending SMS or RCS?

jimkretired

my data is always on, and he is sending text for sure, and doesn't have an iphone

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@jimkretired 

What is the make and model of your phone so we can help check the settings on your phone.

@jimkretired   good , it's not porting issue

can you receive text from others? you sure he is sending you SMS? or iMessage/RCS? iMessage and RCS needs Mobiel data to be on

Reboot the phone.

and clear Message app cache if you are using Android

HI @jimkretired  turn on Data, maybe he is sending you iMessage

jimkretired

yes I can receive calls from him, and I have been in PM for over a year.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@jimkretired  CHECK if you can receive calls form him.  Just want to make sure the incoming calls work

and you just joined PM and ported your number into PM ? if so, how long?

Need Help? Let's chat.