cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spotty service question

adsemail06
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

how does voicemail come in crystal clear in any location, and all other services calling, text, and data are spotty at best in the more favorable location?

10 REPLIES 10

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@adsemail06 As others mentioned, for calls with Public Mobile, your phone will switch to 3G network for the duration of the call, and then back to LTE afterwards. If you find the LTE network is poor in your area, you can try setting your phone to 3G only / disabling LTE to see if that improves your service while not on calls as well.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@adsemail06 

If you have an Android phone and you want to check your signal strength you can go to Settings>> About phone>>Sim Card Status>]> Signal strength>> -104 dBm/36 asu (my current LTE reading)r Preferably you want to be above -100 dBm.

So while my LTE signal is not great I'm in the middle of Vancouver and I have no issues. If you switch to the 3G only setting in your phone you can get your 3G network signal strength. Mine is excellent usually around -67 dBm. Don't worry about your asu # it's not that important in the whole scheme of things.

@adsemail06 wrote:

Do the test call and vociemail numbers have different priority or use a different service?

@adsemail06 There is no call priority.  Also, the test call numbers you called were not even hosted by PM or Telus, so, your call did go out the PM/Telus network and go to another network like it would have with any other calls

the 3 bar LTE has no effect to 3G signal.  When a voice call comes in or made, the phone will switch to 3G network

I would suggest you to try the text number again when you are at an area that you got poor voice quality

If you can spot the area you got poor voice, it could be an network issue in that particular area

If you can spot that poor calls only happen with particular people, it could be a problem on the other end

If you think it happens anywhere and with anyone, it could be your phone.  Again, what brand and model is your phone?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@adsemail06 

If an incoming call goes to voicemail or they're on purpose or by way of a poor connection it's going to the network so unless the caller

has reception issues on their end they're going to leave at crystal clear message for you. Then when you're calling your voicemail on the network unless you have a really poord connection you will also get a recording of a nice clear call. If you're having poor reception issues you should run through the following basic list to see if these troubleshooting tips will help you.

• Reboot your phone.
  • Toggle airplane mode on/off.
  • Remove your SIM card. If you cannot put learning leave it out of your phone for 10 minutes then replace the sim card and reboot.
  • Try switching to 3G network only to see if that improves your connectivity for voice calls.

The next three have their drawbacks or shortcomings depending on your situation.

• Reset you network settings. This will erase your saved WiFi networks and passwords so I would only do it if you are absolutely desperate and after trying one or both of the next two tips.
  • If you possibly have a provisioning issue and you have a balance in your account you can attempt a $1 manual payment. But this can only be done in the new self-service accounts if you don't have an amount due now that payment is a little tricky.
  • Your last best effort to try and provision your sim card yourself would be to log into your self-serve account. Suspend your service via lost/stolen. Log out/in. Resume your service via lost/stolen. Log out and reboot. If you're on the old monetary rewards program this has its own little glitch. You will have to contact customer support after your renewal because your rewards will not apply upon renewal. You can ask customer support to apply the rewards manually after you renew.

@adsemail06 

As to your last question, calls don't/can't use the LTE network.

adsemail06
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

the test call worked well as does voicemail, but regular phone calls text and data are spotty (3 bar LTE minimum).  I believe the handset is working properly as well as the two others I have tried with various resetting, network changing, factory resets, even bought new sim card.  Do the test call and vociemail numbers have different priority or use a different service?

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

You can also test by calling 611, or to help in troubleshooting if it is your phone, or the phone on the "other end" I recommend tests with someone using a landline, and not a mobile phone on their end as well.

Very useful for testing are these "echo test" numbers, of which there are two Canadian access numbers. Great for testing the audio quality without having to bother someone else:

• +1 416 342 9562 - Toronto, ON
  • +1 250 412 5922 - Victoria, BC

As per https://thetestcall.blogspot.com/

During a test call, try switching between each of speakerphone, toggling the call "on hold", and external headset wired and/or bluetooth to help narrow down if it is the microphone in your device or not.

@Timer wrote:

@adsemail06 

Manual select network 3G only or WCDMA only,, and rebooting device.

How To Use Voicemail Features (publicmobile.ca)

The customer isn't asking how to use voicemail.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@adsemail06   voice is only on 3G network while data and text can be on either 3G or LTE, mainly LTE

Can I ask you exactly what model and brand is your phone?  that can really affect the voice and data quality you are getting

and which city and province you are at?

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@adsemail06 

Manual select network 3G only or WCDMA only,, and rebooting device.

How To Use Voicemail Features (publicmobile.ca)

Need Help? Let's chat.