cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim card gone bad

Canlan54a
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My wife's sim card appears to have gone bad. It has been flaky for the last couple of months i.e. had to take it out and put in back in a couple of times. Just wondering firstly will PM supply her with a free replacement and secondly, can she retain her old number with the new sim. (transfer it to the new sim card), or are you forced to give it up and select a new number and if so will she retain all her accrued bonus minutes and bonus data credits(a fairly substancial amount) . Thanks Rob

8 REPLIES 8

@Canlan54a 

LoL

Canlan54a
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you all for all your kindly and useful suggestions - duly noted for future reference.

I need to humbly apologise to all if I have wasted your time,

however my wife just arrived home and I just found out she had somehow switched her phone in to  "airplane mode" and didn't realise it. ughhh! SORRRY GUYS! I owe you one! Rob

[ ....... Luddite] 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Canlan54a 

It's likely that your wife's SIM card just needs to be reprovisioned from pm's back end. Contact customer support to do this for you. Make arrangements with the CSA to credit your account for the cost of a replacement SIM card if the issue continues to crop up. Save your receipt to remit for the credit. In the meantime order a couple of the $1.99 SIM cards from CCS as it never hurts to have a couple of extra SIM cards lying around if needed and at that price you can't go wrong....you may even be able to use them to refer a friend.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

As many have said it won't affect anything you can get it all transferred over. I don't know if PM would offer a free replacement sim unless it was sim card you just received and has been faulty since the beginning. Your best bet is prob springing the 1.99 at CCS and then making the transfer over of that plan to that sim through your my account.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Canlan54a 

Maybe better to ask the CS_Agent to refresh your network service on your SIM first. If it doesn’t work ask for a replacement SIM.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Canlan54a   You can get a new SIM and just request Change SIM card on My Account.  You get to keep your phone number and all account info.

I heard PM Support might give you back the replacement cost or send you a new one themselves.  You can open a ticket with them first, have them to work with you on couple troubleshooting steps and you can ask for free replacement SIM if still not working.    

In case they don't offer you free replacement, get it from local store as it is quicker.  Cost is around $10

Again, still with  open ticket with PM first.

Click on the Bubble or directly at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

1. type: Contact CS Agent
  2. Click "Contact Us"
  3. Click "Other"
  4. Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
  5. you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the moderators (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Canlan54a   I don't believe PM will give a replacement for free but there's no harm in asking them I guess.  Click this link to the chatbot for your request:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

Once you have a new SIM you can update it in the account by selecting Change SIM (right hand side of overview page) and there will be no change to her plan/number and yes all her bonus data/mins stay with the account.

If you want you can purchase a SIM from Canadian Cell Supplies where I believe they're being sold for $1.99 currently and usually the SIM arrives within a week.  Or go to a retailer like London Drugs or Walmart and let them know you are purchasing to replace a defective SIM and not activating a new account.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Replacing the card does nothing to the account other than linking the card. You will keep everything. And you can do the change yourself in the account.

I don't know the policies around them paying for a replacement. You can get one for $2 right now from a reputable dealer called Canadian Cell Supplies.

Need Help? Let's chat.