cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sending MMS without data

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Does anyone know what band (3g, 4g etc) a phone needs to be able to send mms messages without data?  I know this works because I've had phones that do it, most recently was the realme x2.  I'd like to know what to look for in a new phone so I can have this option.

13 REPLIES 13

@Jb456 wrote:

@Anonymous  you're lucky. Wish my newer phone did that.

@geopublic  sorry. 10.1 is the Emui ..it's Android 10

Screenshot_20200910_161240.jpg

It does not have this feature. Nor does the P30pro and P20. Yet my old honor 6x I never had to turn on data.

Maybe it's just "majority" of new phones? Depending on make /model.

@Jb456  The feature is available in 10. Not sure why Huawei decided to disable it if that is the case. I know it's there for the majority of phones including Umidigi but then again they run no-bloat Android on their phones.

@Anonymous  you're lucky. Wish my newer phone did that.

@geopublic  sorry. 10.1 is the Emui ..it's Android 10

Screenshot_20200910_161240.jpg

It does not have this feature. Nor does the P30pro and P20. Yet my old honor 6x I never had to turn on data.

Maybe it's just "majority" of new phones? Depending on make /model.

@Jb456 wrote:

@geopublic  well it's not all newer phones 🤔 My Huawei P30 running Android 10.1 does not have this option and I do have to turn on/off manually.

When you say "newer" how new are we talking about? 

My old honor 6x I was able to keep data off and send MMS. It had no where near Android 10...I think it was marshmallow 6.

What's Android 10.1? Turn on Developer options and check again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 

My S7 running A8 can do it.

@geopublic  well it's not all newer phones 🤔 My Huawei P30 running Android 10.1 does not have this option and I do have to turn on/off manually.

When you say "newer" how new are we talking about? 

My old honor 6x I was able to keep data off and send MMS. It had no where near Android 10...I think it was marshmallow 6.

@on2wheels wrote:

That sounds interesting, I might actually be able to test that theory. I have an old Asus phone on android 6, iirc it could send photos without a data plan.  Thanks for the idea!

Anyone with a compatible phone and a plan with SMS/MMS but without a data plan can send MMS. A data plan is not required, nor does the data used count toward data plan usage if you do have data in your plan.

on2wheels

That sounds interesting, I might actually be able to test that theory. I have an old Asus phone on android 6, iirc it could send photos without a data plan.  Thanks for the idea!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@on2wheels wrote:

Does anyone know what band (3g, 4g etc) a phone needs to be able to send mms messages without data?  I know this works because I've had phones that do it, most recently was the realme x2.  I'd like to know what to look for in a new phone so I can have this option.

@on2wheels  Bands have nothing to do with it. All  the newer phones running Android 10+ have the option that will handle MMS automatically without having to manually turn data ON/Off. so make sure it's running Android 10 and above.

@on2wheels wrote:

MMS is sent through the data network but the usage doesn't count as data used. As to the question about bands and network type,  any of Public Mobile's network can be used, whether it's HSPA or LTE.

on2wheels

There must be something similar about them then, my Xiaomi MiA1 can't do it, but the realme could. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@on2wheels you only need the 3g(HSPA) frequencies posted below to be able to send mms

pm frequencies.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@on2wheels wrote:

You might be thinking of automatic send/receive of MMS. My Samsung S7 running A8 has this. I don't need to turn on data. I can press send with a pic and I can see the little data icon appear in the top bar, the MMS sends, the little data icon disappears.

Maybe your x2 had that feature.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@on2wheels data has to be enabled on the phone to send an mms text message.  This doesn't use any of your plan data. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.