cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roaming USA add-on

sarahtimberlake
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a USA roaming add on but can't use my phone for incoming or outgoing calls?

13 REPLIES 13

sarahtimberlake

Thank you!

sarahtimberlake

Because this idiot expects the provider to suggest when you buy a roaming package that it may work 1% of the time.  I've been travelling for decades to the states from Canada & not had this issue.  

sarahtimberlake

Texas right now.

sarahtimberlake

Thank you - 2G is not something I would have thought of. I am connected to T-Mobile.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @sarahtimberlake   Roaming voice call in US, with 3G network gone, you have to use T-Mobile's 2G network.  But not everywhere has it and even though it is supposed to be there, the network might not be strong enough

Not sure where you are, but you can check if T-Mobile 2G is available in your area using this :

https://www.gsma.com/coverage/#466

Make sure you manually connect to T-Mobile network

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire
I copied & pasted the information below from the FCC website for USA. You can read the rest if you like using the link. I hope this helps some.
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/plan-ahead-phase-out-3g-cellular-networks-and-service

Plan Ahead for Phase Out of 3G Cellular Networks and Service

If your mobile phone is more than a few years old, you may need to upgrade your device before your mobile provider shuts down its 3G network, to avoid losing service. For more information on your mobile providers' plans for 3G retirement and how you can prepare, contact your provider directly.

What is happening?

Mobile carriers are shutting down their 3G networks, which rely on older technology, to make room for more advanced network services, including 5G. As a result, many older cell phones will be unable to make or receive calls and texts, including calls to 911, or use data services. This will affect 3G mobile phones and certain older 4G mobile phones that do not support Voice over LTE (VoLTE or HD Voice).

When is it happening?

Some mobile providers have already completed the shutdown of their 3G networks, while others are scheduled to occur later in 2022. Plans and timing to phase out 3G services will vary by company and may change. Consult your mobile provider's website for the most up-to-date information.

• AT&T announced that it phased out its 3G network beginning in February 2022.
  • Verizon announced that it will finish shutting down its 3G network by December 31, 2022.
  • T-Mobile announced that it finished shutting down Sprint's 3G CDMA network as of March 31, 2022 and Sprint's 4G LTE network as of June 30, 2022. It also announced it shut down T-Mobile's 3G UMTS network as of July 1, 2022, but has not yet announced a shutdown date for its 2G network.

If your mobile carrier is not listed here, you may still be affected. Many carriers, such as Cricket, Boost, Straight Talk, and several Lifeline mobile service providers, utilize AT&T's, Verizon's, and T-Mobile's networks. In addition, international visitors to the United States with 3G phones will be affected and are urged to plan accordingly.

Note: These are dates for completing the shutdowns. Carriers may begin retiring parts of their networks sooner.

What do I need to do?

Contact your mobile provider or consult your provider's website for more information about their 3G retirement plan and whether your phone, or other connected device, may be affected. It is important to plan now so that you don't lose connectivity, including the ability to call 911.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

US discontinued 3G network. Do not expect much.

WHY nobody searches this forum to understand US add-ons are working maybe 1% of the time...

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Which state are you in ? The talk add-on won't work if you're in Alaska.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@sarahtimberlake 

If you really need to make phone calls, try using a VoIP app like Text now or Fongo, when you have access to Wifi.

Or you might want to get a local cheap sim card and plan.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@sarahtimberlake 

Ok then, that add on doesn't work allover the USA since 3g is shutting down in the USA.  The coverage is going to be spotty.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Manually connect to T-Mobile to get the best chance at talk. Even then coverage may be limited. This is due to only being able to use the old 2G network that T-Mobile still has and lets us use. But it has limited coverage. Your phone might need to be set to use or include 2G as well.

sarahtimberlake

Have done those two things. 

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@sarahtimberlake 

Make sure that you turn roaming on, in your phone. Also choose the T mobile network from in your phone too.

Need Help? Let's chat.