cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recovering text messages from the time I used a different SIM card

hotrad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Community,

I travelled to another country and used a different SIM card in my phone when I was there.

I returned to Canada and now want to see the content of text messages that were sent to me while I was on the other network in the other country. The useage part of my phone bill shows me the phone number of the originator phone number.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hotrad as numerous people have stated already, the sms are not stored in the pm system. 

hotrad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

Do you have an answer to my query ?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I believe text messages go through a short message service center (SMSC) which has policies on how messages are buffered and buffer size.  Being off the network whether using a different SIM card or having phone turned off for a period of time is the same thing.  There is text message buffering going on.  I don't recall much discussion of this in the forum about limits and parameters for this buffering.  @Alan_K , care to weigh in on this dicussion?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Yes the messages are gone.

In the future there are ways around this by leaving your sim in an old phone and set up a forwarding app to forward sms to email or another number like fongo. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@hotrad wrote:

Hello Community,

I travelled to another country and used a different SIM card in my phone when I was there.

I returned to Canada and now want to see the content of text messages that were sent to me while I was on the other network in the other country. The useage part of my phone bill shows me the phone number of the originator phone number.

Thanks

My understanding is that a provider will try to deliver a text between 3  to 7 days of the original date they were sent and then they expire. Not sure what it is for PM. How long were you away? 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@hotrad wrote:

Hello Community,

Thanks

I think @missorange  is correct and that PM doesn't allow for text message recovery, although it would be nice if that were the case.  I also never received any texts that were sent to me when I was out of the country last year and it looks like PM is probably not too bothered about adding a roaming feature for travel outside the US, for now at least.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hotrad wrote:

Hello Community,

Thanks

Edit: Sorry, I misinterpreted what was meant by the op; they're asking about the text messages sent to their Public Mobile number while they were away.  @missorange and @dabr are right.

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't think PM has that feature to recover the text message when you out of country.

Need Help? Let's chat.