cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"cellular update failed" message - what to do?

Van778
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I added on a US Roaming plan today and now my iPhone 7 is saying that it has no Cellular Service and that the "cellular update failed". Help! I'm supposed to be travelling tomorrow morning

25 REPLIES 25

Van778

As pointed out by other earlier in this thread, this is a known problem on iPhone 7. It's not a SIM problem. Solution: I got a new phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Van778 wrote:

Here is what I added today:

- US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day) - $20.00

- US Roaming - 250 MB Data (10-day) - Free

US Roaming - Unlimited Talk (10-day) - Free

- US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day) - Free

Whoa! Made me look. Nope. Not free.

@Van778 

You have a little less than two hours before business hours close for the day so you should recieve a message from customer support within the hour. Even so they also sometimes respond after hours....like I recieved last night.

Keep in mind if you are travelling for more than 10 days that you cannot readd the same add on for at least 24 hours after expiry. You may want to ask the CSA to remove your 1GB data add on so that you can stagger it by a day or two so that you can use it and a voip for calls and text during the 24 hours you have to wait to add a second 10 day US roaming add on.

@Van778 wrote:

Have tried most of the things on that link, to no avail. Thanks for that. Will visit the Apple Store and keep my fingers crossed.

This is a head scratcher alright...so please let us know when you get things working properly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Van778 wrote:

Thanks for that. You're right, if I just use the phone as a pure wifi device and stick to wifi services I'll be able to do calls on WhatsApp or Skype etc.

@Van778 

if you want to use a app Textme or Talkatone, and you will getting new canadian number for Free from that app,

• Unlimited Call \ SMS \ MMS a Free USA/Canada.

Here link for app Talkatone.

Here link for app Text Me.

enjoy it...

Van778

Have tried most of the things on that link, to no avail. Thanks for that. Will visit the Apple Store and keep my fingers crossed.

Van778

Thanks for that. You're right, if I just use the phone as a pure wifi device and stick to wifi services I'll be able to do calls on WhatsApp or Skype etc.

@Van778 wrote:

Thanks. I have contacted CSA and have put in a ticket and the message is that they'll get back to me ("Usually, that is within a couple of hours, but in peak periods, it could be longer" - yoiks). Since I have to travel tomorrow at 5:00 a.m. I think my best choice is to go get another SIM card and/or phone at this point. Crazy.

Try cycling phone OFF / ON throughout the night...hopefully they can get things squared away for you before you go.

Download free TextNow app that uses wifi while in USA. It's free to call / text home.

Van778

Thanks. I have contacted CSA and have put in a ticket and the message is that they'll get back to me ("Usually, that is within a couple of hours, but in peak periods, it could be longer" - yoiks). Since I have to travel tomorrow at 5:00 a.m. I think my best choice is to go get another SIM card and/or phone at this point. Crazy.

@Van778...could this be the add-on you got...

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle...$20

There are no "free" pieces to those add-ons.

Sounds like the add-on has fouled somehow...that's unusual indeed. Send a message to CSA's as previous instructed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Van778 wrote:

@Van778 

you travelling tomorrow all this Add-on will work when you in US,

but you need service now you can test your SIM
card in another device to you check your issue from SIM card network or your device issue ,,
also you need to contact CSA, let them check your service..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Van778 wrote:

No, as already mentioned, phone is not working in Canada and I have not changed anything except for adding the plans.

@Van778 

go sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account,

and if still not fix it follow this,

1. Add Funds to your Plan Amount through Self Serve  
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-Ons” TAB
  3. Select "Lost/Stolen Phone" TAB
  4. Select "Suspend Service" BUTTON
  5. Then, Select Resume/Reactivate Service
  6. Reboot your phone.
  7. what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone about 2 minutes and turn it back on.

8. you need to contact CSA as my OP instructions how to contact them..

Van778

@Van778 

You may want to ask the Customer Support Agents for assistance given you're traveling tomorrow.  Better to get any account issue remedied before then.

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type Customer Support Agent, then select contact Customer Support Agent, then select other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

@Van778 wrote:

No, as already mentioned, phone is not working in Canada and I have not changed anything except for adding the plans.

So, the only thing you added was one of the 10 Day US Roaming add-on options...correct ?

Was the phone working earlier today before you bought that add-on ?

Van778

Have tried that numerous times, it doesn't work.

Van778

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Van778 

Check your self-serve to see if the Roaming add-on is displaying there.

If it is, once you arrive in US, select a local network manually to connect to it.

You should then be good to go.

For a good list of FAQ, see this article:

U.S. Roaming (publicmobile.ca)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Van778 

if you can't fix it you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agentand Explain your issue to them can solve your issue, they are nice service Team the will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,and Submit a Ticket,

Spoiler
  • Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,Click Here link,to get started. Type,, Ticket ,, Click ,, Contact Us ,, Select your issue ,,
    Click here to submit a ticket↗↗.

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • please include in your message,
  • phone number,
  • account 4 digit pin,
  • Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST
    • Note: For public mobile No Support by phone call or Email.. only by CS_Agentprivate message..

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck...

@Van778 wrote:

The package isn't the problem, the add-ons added just fine. It's that the phone does not have service in Canada now.

Try cycling Airplane mode ON / OFF. Does that help ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Van778 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and you can try to reset network settings on an IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

and go Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Van778

The package isn't the problem, the add-ons added just fine. It's that the phone does not have service in Canada now.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Van778 wrote:

I added on a US Roaming plan today and now my iPhone 7 is saying that it has no Cellular Service and that the "cellular update failed". Help! I'm supposed to be travelling tomorrow morning

Log in to My Data and Add-ons...you should see the add-on there if you did it correctly.

BTW...it won't work until you're in USA.

edit...are your regular phone features working now while in Canada ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Van778 

For US Roaming 10 day packages
Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20
Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15
Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8
Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8
U.S. Data Only 10 day packages
250MB = $10
500MB = $15
1GB = $20

when you visit US and then Purchase it,

sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account, if you found at Available Funds: $$

Try To Purchase Add-Ons Using Your Self-Serve Account

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!
  5. after you Add-on you have to do Rebooting your phone

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Overview Of Add-Ons visit Here link..

Need Help? Let's chat.