cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Trust this computer" message doesn't work

JimRockford_PI
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I keep checking this box, but it keeps asking me to use a verification code. I have not cleared the cache or cookies.

25 REPLIES 25

JimRockford_PI

Good point. But, having been in I.T. since 1988, I have made sure those settings are all kosher. 🙂 I use Chrome and Firefox and neither of them is set up to clear cache on exit. But, I do power off the PC nightly.

Yosemite_Sam

Trust thing does not work on iPhone. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@JimRockford_PI wrote:

I keep checking this box, but it keeps asking me to use a verification code. I have not cleared the cache or cookies.

@JimRockford_PI - this works off and on for me. Not sure if it is because I am turning off devices occasionally or when updating software, etc.

But yeah, I agree, it would be nice not to send verification codes as often as it requests; especially when trying to manage other phone numbers and you need to either ask the user for the code and resend and try to get it through the associated email.

maple_leaf
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hello @JimRockford_PI ,

A lot of our great Community members have already weighed in here, so at the risk of adding to the mix of great suggestions, I am just curious which browser you are using? Some browsers have default security settings which delete cache and cookies every time you close your browser window (e.g., Chrome, see more info. here Cache & Cookie Settings ). In general this can be a good thing, depending on your personal threat model, but can also cause an issue like the one you are describing because the browser would no longer "remember" the cookies necessary to let the Public Mobile website know that your device is set as trusted. Hope this helps.

@Priority most people cannot "trusted device" because of the clear cache in exit and cookies.  Current Samsung browser does not have clear cache in exit.  But check your cache setting at Settings, Sites and Download, Site Permissing and check if cookies allowed.  Also, if you use Secret Mode on Samsung browser, them the Trusted won't work 

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm using Samsung internet and the Public Mobile App for everything. 

Occasionally every now and again Chrome on my Laptop. 

@Priority 

what browser you use??

if you use PM app, still need to ask your what default browser you use on your phone ?

The system must sense your from Transcona. LMAO. Kidding of course. Not sure why but both my iPhone and PC never ask after I clicked on it. Go figure.

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

No matter now many times I 'Trust this Device' it never remembers either making me redo a code sent via SMS every single time I sign in. 

I've just learned to accept it and take it as bonus added security, its for the better anyways. 🙌

S132
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@softech

"If you don't have access to SMS OTP, try entering an incorrect OTP code 4 times. For some individuals, this is giving the option of an email instead."

Thank you so much, this worked.

Can’t get the 6 digit 2FA code to your phone? Try this method

First, sign into your account at www.publicmobile.ca and use the email you signed up with and the password. If it asks you for a 6 digit code, it will say at the top left CONFIRM YOUR IDENTITY.- Enter the 6- digit code sent to *********.  But it’s not working!!! As you see by the screen shot below, 1. Click the This is a trusted device. 2. Didn’t get the code? Click on that.

KennethJAdams_2-1692928015285.png

Then, the next window that pops up is this.

KennethJAdams_3-1692928015222.png

Click on Send email. Here it will send you the 6 digit code to the email you registered with. This step is very important. Do not just copy and paste. Enter each digit using your key pad.

You should now be able to get into your account.

This is the phone app one.

How to receive 2FA code via Public Mobile Phone app

Download the app via WiFi and sign in using the email you signed up with.

KennethJAdams_0-1692927927738.png

Click on the Didn’t get the code? Before you do though, check the box on This is a trusted device so you never have to be asked for the 2 step again on the phone.

The next window that comes up is this.

KennethJAdams_1-1692927927851.png

You can choose either Send Email which will go to the email you registered with or Send Voice Message meaning it will call your number and ask you to push buttons.  Pick email.

Can you screen shot that for us by chance? Love to see a sample as we've heard this before.

@S132 

the Send email option might not come if you never login since EverSafe was introduced

Try these workarounds, it could bypass the SMS in linking My Account with EverSafe ID

1. Reset your password to self service account. Once reset, sign in again with new password. Might be able to receive 2FA via email instead to gain access.
    (!!!You will need to click Didn't receive Code? or Resend Code and then Send email to trigger the 2FA to email)
  2. Potential workaround (for some): If you don't have access to SMS OTP, try entering an incorrect OTP code 4 times. For some individuals, this is giving the option of an email instead.

If none of those workarounds helps,  please open ticket with support by direct message here:

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Chalupa_Batman  Can you share your image of send code to email option please for @S132 

S132

@Handy1 

Tapping a few times gives the options of "send text" or "send voicemail".

There is no "send email option" and trying to Sign up confirms that there is already an Eversafe ID tied to that account.

@S132 wrote:

"Have code sent to email instead"

How?

HI @S132

click "Didn't receive code?" and then send email should be one of the 3 options after

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@S132  when you go to log into your account and it sends code to your phone tap resend code few times . Or if there’s option that says didn’t get code  tap it and you will then be given a option to send code to email instead 

S132

"Have code sent to email instead"

How?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@JimRockford_PI  / @S132 

it actually work well for me on my Android

My iPhone is so so

are you using it on browser or app? The trusted device only work if the cache is there.  If you have been clearing browser cache , it won't work (some browser has clear cache on exit enabled).  And the app also depends on your default browser, so browser cache matters

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @JimRockford_PI You actually answered your own question. You should clear the cache, history and cookies. That SHOULD theoretically clear the issue. I've clicked on it and no problems.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@S132  So long as you have set up your ever safe ID you can tap resend code or didn’t get code option to have code sent to email instead . To swap SIM card or doable service 

S132

I get the same issue. This represents a significant design flaw in the event that you misplace a phone and would like to reassign a SIM card or temporarily disable service to that missing phone.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@JimRockford_PI  Works for me on safari . But app always makes me send code 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I don't trust the "trust this computer".

Need Help? Let's chat.