cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Please enter a mailbox number" when calling a Public Mobile number

hhdorc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there, 

I'm not a Public Mobile user myself, but I provide phone set up support regularly and have recently bumped into an odd issue with a customer using Public Mobile. When anyone who tries to reach them gets sent to voicemail, they hear a language menu followed by "Please enter a mailbox number" -- similar to when you call you try and access your own voicemails from a different phone. 

They have had the same Public Mobile plan, number and SIM card for over a year. Everything was working normally -- when people called them, they would get their regular "hey this is XYZ leave a message after the tone" voicemail message. They recently switched devices, that's the only difference.

They tried setting up their voicemail message again, but no luck. They say they don't have access to the "Set Up Voicemail" feature in their Phone app (iPhone 8), even though they did with their previous device. The phone has been restarted and factory reset several times already.

Everything else is working normally. This does not sound to me like a problem with the device itself. Anyone experienced something similar, or has any insight as to how to get back to the normal voicemail set up here?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

@johnprince- It sets the voicemail access number to be able to long press 1 in the dialer or however Apple connects to voicemail.

johnprince
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@dust2dustWhat does that do?

There's another dial code but we'll see what happens with this one.

hhdorc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Passed this along to the user -- hopefully that number will sort it out! Thanks for the suggestion.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Try this in the dialer and see if it fixes it.

*5005*86*17785804001#

Need Help? Let's chat.