cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Long distance charges may apply" ???

DaveWicks
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I went to make a long distance call and got this message: "Long distance Charges my apply". Does it always say that when you call long distance? I'm new but my plan is supposed to have unlimited calling in Canada??  Is ha not the case, or why this message? Thx

14 REPLIES 14

RCO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes , this is a solution , however 

Its tedious to redo many contacts

Surely the system should recognize Free Calling Zones 

Canada as well as the Canadian area Codes

TY for the Reply and workaround solution but I 

think this is an issue the Provider should fix 

to save time and electricity Cheer

RCO

fwiw , I was with Telus before PM and it not always do this

and I would insist that Free Calling in Canada is not Long Distance

A reminder for every Canada Call is a waste of time and electricity

surely the System should recognize Canadian Area Codes

It is a Fixable annoyance

@RCO wrote:

fwiw , I do find annoying and I am even more annoyed I am 

going to have to put a 1 in front of many already saved contacts .

I will say that I actually did ad 1 to see and it worked 

Now to put a 1 on a almost a gizzilion already saved 

contacts , Oh Well

I do think PMs owners should actually Fix this

Are the calls actually long distance? If that's the case, the system is working  as designed.  Telus is basing this off of local calling areas.

HI @RCO   usually you don't need to.. but maybe try to add a 1  (or +1) in front of your saved contact...

RCO

fwiw , I do find annoying and I am even more annoyed I am 

going to have to put a 1 in front of many already saved contacts .

I will say that I actually did ad 1 to see and it worked 

Now to put a 1 on a almost a gizzilion already saved 

contacts , Oh Well

I do think PMs owners should actually Fix this

Mylulu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It’s because you did not dial a “1” ahead of the number if it’s an actual long distance call. 
rest assured you won’t be charged as PM calls are all Canada wide 

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DaveWicks

Just ignore the message, it’s second nature now, don’t even know it’s there..... all the best

@HALIMACS wrote:

Having only had services with PM for a few months, @DaveWicks , I've wondered that as well. 

It's possible this is a carry-over from the parent company (TELUS) or 'older sibling' (KOODO), and/or perhaps to a time when not all plans included "Long-distance" calling as an included feature.

You may have to just learn to ignore it if adding the 1 or +1 doesn't do the trick.

That message about long distance charges possibly applying only gets played back if the 1 or +1 isn't dialed.  It is played back to all Telus customers if a long distance call is made to a Canadian or U.S. number without the 1 before the area code.

There is another long distance mesasge about long distance calling destination not being included with the plan, but that message is a seperate matter.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Having only had services with PM for a few months, @DaveWicks , I've wondered that as well. 

It's possible this is a carry-over from the parent company (TELUS) or 'older sibling' (KOODO), and/or perhaps to a time when not all plans included "Long-distance" calling as an included feature.

You may have to just learn to ignore it if adding the 1 or +1 doesn't do the trick.

DaveWicks

Thanks, that is what I wanted to confirm.

@DaveWicks wrote:

I went to make a long distance call and got this message: "Long distance Charges my apply". Does it always say that when you call long distance? I'm new but my plan is supposed to have unlimited calling in Canada??  Is ha not the case, or why this message? Thx

The system that is set up and plays that messages does not check (or know) what your plan includes. The message means nothing more than that the call is long distance (and happens to be included if you're calling a number in Canada).  There are no pay-per-usage charges at Public Mobile, regardless.

@DaveWicks So try adding +1

DaveWicks

I dialed the number, so included 1.... 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@DaveWicks wrote:

@DaveWicks Canada wide call is included in all plans. This seems to affect some more than others. I have never heard the message. Try adding 1 or +1 to your contacts, that should solve it. All of my contacts, local and long distance are saved that way.

Need Help? Let's chat.