cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

porting of my VOIP Number

genius
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi PM,

I activated my SIM on August 2, 2019 and completed my signup. My mobile phone says "Public Mobile", but I cannot receive calls. The calls are being recieved on the VOIP land line still. My account # is xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Today is August 5 and I have neither the port done nor do I have a service. Will I be charged for this time or my plan will start when I have a fully functional service?

Edited by SD08 to remove acct #.

18 REPLIES 18

@dickwong wrote:

Band 4 AWS is different than Band 4 right?

Band 4 is still AWS no matter it's on HSPA or LTE.   Band 4 is not used for phone calls at Public Mobile.

dickwong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Band 4 AWS is different than Band 4 right?

@genius1The S3 is ancient but should work marginally try LTE/MCDMA/GSM fill in your APN with the settings that can be found here https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

genius1

Data does not work still. Can you help with APN settings for SGH i747, Samsung S3?
What "network mode" do I select: LTE/MCDMA/GSM, MCDMA/GSM or GSM only?
Is SGH i747 compatible at all? or should I get rid of this?
What model should I buy that will be fully compatible?

@genius1 wrote:

My model number is SGH-i747. Any lead will be most welcome.

https://willmyphonework.net/ says your model is fine for PM on the 3G network, but won't work well on LTE. If you are still stuck, try your SIM in a different unlocked phone.

Device Frequencies Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747  Carrier Frequencies Canada Public Mobile
2G Network: 
3G Network: 
4G LTE Network: 

Carrier Network does not support 2G
850MHz, 1900MHz
Band17-700MHz, Band4-AWS

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

genius1

My model number is SGH-i747. Any lead will be most welcome.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@genius1 wrote:

I have SAMSUNG GALAXY S3. Any problems associated with this?

@genius1 that depends, there is more than one S3 model.  If you have the i9305 (https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9305_galaxy_s_iii-5001.php), the behaviour you're experiencing is pretty understandble, since it only has the 850 MHz (B5) UMTS frequency and lacks 1900MHz (B2) UMTS.  On the other hand, if you have the i9300 (https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php), you should be okay as it features both B2 and B5 UMTS.  There may be other variants out there, so if yours isn't one of these, post the model number and we can help look.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@genius1 

1) check your phone settings that cellular data is turned on,

2) on your phone go to settings - connections - mobile network - access point names

check that the APN settings are:

Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri,dun
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Check this link for your specific phone:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

After completing these steps, please let us know if it worked. Best of luck.

genius1

I have SAMSUNG GALAXY S3. Any problems associated with this?

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It sounds ro me like your missing the 3g band that public requires for calling if your phone lack band 4 aws-1 then you can't make or receive calls.

@genius1 wrote:

I am starting to get disappointed with PM “service” (if you really like to call it one).

I signed up on Aug. 1, 2019 for a $25 plan and requested porting of my land line number. I was texted by PM on Aug. 7 that, “your transfer request has been completed successfully”.

From that day onwards, sometimes I could make a call but not receive calls and sometimes it was vice versa. Never for one day I had or have any data. Even with data “on”, it shows that no data is available and there is no Data sign on the top corner of the phone screen.

As of now, I just have texting and nothing else. I cannot call or receive calls.

Could someone inside or outside PM help, before I go to the next step of complaint process?

I am paying since August 2, 2019 and getting no service which is totally unfair.

@genius1Did you make sure you phone is compatible with PM before signing up. Sounds like your phone might have limited coverage. What type of phone do you have?

zakl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You're lucky you can text!

genius1

I am starting to get disappointed with PM “service” (if you really like to call it one).

I signed up on Aug. 1, 2019 for a $25 plan and requested porting of my land line number. I was texted by PM on Aug. 7 that, “your transfer request has been completed successfully”.

From that day onwards, sometimes I could make a call but not receive calls and sometimes it was vice versa. Never for one day I had or have any data. Even with data “on”, it shows that no data is available and there is no Data sign on the top corner of the phone screen.

As of now, I just have texting and nothing else. I cannot call or receive calls.

Could someone inside or outside PM help, before I go to the next step of complaint process?

I am paying since August 2, 2019 and getting no service which is totally unfair.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@genius wrote:

Hi PM,

I activated my SIM on August 2, 2019 and completed my signup. My mobile phone says "Public Mobile", but I cannot receive calls. The calls are being recieved on the VOIP land line still. My account # is xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Today is August 5 and I have neither the port done nor do I have a service. Will I be charged for this time or my plan will start when I have a fully functional service?

Edited by SD08 to remove acct #.

Hi

Who is your voip provider and do you have access to your sip credentials? On most smartphones you can set calling account with the native dialer. Some voip providers even have app you could use provided you have data on your plan off course

Did you first get temporary pm number and then port? If yes test if you can receive calls to that number and set your voip to forward to it. I'm actually get curious if you can receive calls to temp number during the course of port. That would really be nice. Did anybody try that?

popping

@genius 

Porting number is a 2 steps process.  PM has done the first step by setting up your PM account with your VoIP number.  Step 2 is waiting for your VoIP provider to release your VoIP number to PM.  Porting a VoIP number usually takes up to a week to complete.  Nothing you can do but wait for the port to complete.  While you are waiting, your incoming calls will continue to go to your VoIP home phone.  But you can call out from your PM phone as well as your VoIP phone at home.

Welcome to PM and enjoy the saving.

SD08

I've edited your post to remove your account number. Since this is a public forum where anyone with an internet connection can see what you post, please don't post personal info here.

Porting a VOIP number takes much longer than porting a cell number (days vs. hours). During this time, you'll be able to make calls but not receive them.

Your PM plan cycle starts from the moment you activated your SIM, so yes, effectively you started paying for your PM service from August 2, or rather, paid the full cycle that day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@genius  - Porting ov VOIP lines can take considerably longer than the time required to port a cell line.  Up to a week is not unusual.  Keep using your VOIP land line until it dies.  Be sure to keep it active.

Also, since this is a public forum, you should edit out your personal information.

Need Help? Let's chat.