cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone-access via fiberoptics

swiss32
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

where I live I have no access to the cell-network.  I have been told I could access the cell-network via my fiberoptics connection....Is that so and if how do I do that?

12 REPLIES 12

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

fiberoptics at home?  then use Wif on your phone, and VoIP, TextNow, Fongo, etc

forward your phone when unavailable to voip number. 

swiss32
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I guess you hit the nail on the head.....I was told about it by the tech that installed the fiberoptic modem..

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Perhaps they are referring to hosting a Pico Cell on your broadband internet connection. Public doesn't offer those, but maybe one of the Big 3 brands.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

To answer your question.....I don't know. 

BUT if at home you could do this:

Set up a voip.ms account.

Get a voip number of your choice.  (called a DID) cost is 85 cents a month US$

See current charges per minute for inbound outbound calls at voip.ms

Hardwire your ATA box to your router by ethernet

Have a wireless land line hand set, like Panasonic LinkToCell or any other Panasonic

Hardwire the main set to the ATA box by a 2 wire phone cable. 

While in service put your PM phone on call forward to your voip.ms number. 

All inbound calls to your PM number will now ring on your voip phone at home. 

For making outbound calls from your voip account,  set up your DID account to show your caller ID as your PM number. 

voip.ms is in US$ and when we used as a land line the cost was about $12-$13 a month, but likely would be less for you. 

PM me for more info if you like. 

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@swiss32 The landline phone can connect to fibro connection through modem that I have in my place, but not cell phone.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@swiss32 wrote:

where I live I have no access to the cell-network.  I have been told I could access the cell-network via my fiberoptics connection....Is that so and if how do I do that?

Fiberoptics don't broadcast cellular signal but if it did, that's a regular cell service.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I'm a bit surprised that you have fiberoptic internet connection but no cell tower. I'd expect opposite but here we are.. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @swiss32   no fancy thing here, not Wifi Calling or no app like Lucky  😞

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

I was thinking more landline or VoIP service through a data or Wi-Fi connection.

But for the purpose of a SIM card, I believe it can only communicate through cellular frequencies / provider identities for which the card was designed to operate under.

GR
Mayor / Maire

I think @swiss32  is referring to wifi calling which is not available through public mobile.  Bell/rogers/Telus offers it, I'm not sure if virgin/fido/Koodo does 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have never heard of such cellular service.  By the very name, the phone connects to a cell tower wirelessly.  If there are no cell towers in the ares, there can't be cell service.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@swiss32 - through your internet fiberoptics? I believe you need to have coverage in your area to obtain public mobile services in by any method:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

Who did you hear from about this fiberoptic connection? I am not sure, but maybe others have other input here.

Need Help? Let's chat.