cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new imei after phone repair

basicbill
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As my luck would have it, my phone died just after I switched to PM.

I guess as a repair they changed out the motherboard (or maybe just replaced the phone) but I now have a different imei than when I registered my sim.

The sim is already installed and the phone works beautifully, but is there some reason that I have to change imei number in my account?

6 REPLIES 6

@kav2001c With all due respect, I do not think you've understood my message.  

I was was suggesting to note the new imei number (after repair), so that if the phone were to be lost or stolen after the repair, it could be tracked and/or blacklisted.

this is exactly what this number is for, and the police will indeed follow up on these processes.

@stonechucker police will never actually do anything in a case like this. Even if you used find my phone and told them which house had it they will not intervene.

Also he could NOT flag the IMEI for blacklist (well, not legitimately anyways). The new number is likely due to replacement parts as he suggested. Remember he does not actually own the phone they used for parts. 

Think of a car as an analogy. He has an older 2002 Honda Civic. His engine is dead, so the repair shop gets him a replacement engine. Now that 2nd engine has a VIN number embedded in it, but that is NOT his actual VIN number of his car (which he has registered with vehicle licensing). If car gets stolen, he would report actual VIN, not the 2nd VIN

You may wish to note for yourself, just in case your phone is lost or stolen.  Having the correct iemi number will help during police reports, and it can be listed on the do-not-activate list (or whatever it is called)

basicbill
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Thanks guys. Your thoughts make perfect sense.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@basicbill it is irrelevant what your IMEI actually is unless you are using that as a confirmation for a port out request.

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @basicbill

I can't think of any reason that you need to change the IMEI in you account, people switch out phones all the time with no issue.

(Can remember for sure, but isn't the IMEI an optional field on signup?)

Need Help? Let's chat.