cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone, how to receive text(imessage)without wifi or data?

kateyyj
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

just switched to iphone 6plus, and have no data plan, only got someone's  message when i have wifi connection. has no problem receiving from android text. I guess the  only problem is from those sending from iphone, thanks

24 REPLIES 24

So I did some reading. Remember, I'm no Apple guy. And maybe this has already been touched on so I'm just writing this in my words.

It's how it works when both iphones have the imessage option on and the sender is on the internet. The recipient needs the internet. Period. If an iphone is not always on the internet then the imessage option should be turned off. Then the senders iphone will figure out that the recipient is not using imessage and if they have the send as SMS option on then their phone will send the other person an SMS.

You said you " have no data plan". You wouldn't always be on wifi. But you would almost always be on cell for SMS. Turn off imessage. Is that defined as deregistering? Maybe. It will then act just like a standard texting machine. SMS and MMS. Your friends phone needs to have the send as sms option on and then after his phone sees that you're not on imessage, it will send an SMS. He needs to send to your number, not apple id.

I found this on an Apple forum:

dust2dust_0-1661842515125.png

If countydownieuk could agree with that then maybe that's it. Or I'm completely wrong.

Adding - a couple edits for more clarity

@kateyyj 

tried for both device delete the contact # and re-added with +1 in front of area code,, e.g. +1647xxxxxxx

other device is Android,

• go to text app clear cache/clear data,
  • updated version of Messages app,
  • for both check your software iOS update up to date and for both device do rebooting..

kateyyj

I did, but i dont know yet, i only canot recieve one persons text without data/wifi. we have to see next time if he sends message

HI @kateyyj   so, is the issue resolved?  did you ended up deregistering iMessage?

kateyyj

that was a friends phone, we reset it, and use our own apple ID

Apple users have an Apple ID. 

And your phone number or email address can get registered to iMessage  and you can de register it. So to sell an iPhone one should remove all that stuff by doing a full reset. 

In this post I see absolutely no reason to de register...unless it is still registered to the old owner. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk- ?

Have you registered the phone to Apple? Do you have an Apple ID?

kateyyj

i can send in green , but having troulbe to receive without data or wifi, thanks

kateyyj

what happened if I do this, i wont get any message from that person?

kateyyj

i have no data most of the time.no wifi at work either. yes i can send message using green bubble. but I cant receive text from One person until I get wifi. He must use Imessage?

@CountyDownIeUk 

for the deregister iMessage - cannot send & receive SMS on Apple Device. , you need to deregister iMessage: by in my poster link to you can send & receive SMS from carrier on your on Apple device when another person send/receive and your data mobile & Wi-Fi off.....FYI some device Apple need for SMS Wi-Fi to get the SMS. but when you do this no more need Wi-Fi...if you test you don't losing anything.

the @kateyyj  are experiencing for this issue.

_markymark
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It’s because iPhones automatically use iMessage with other iPhones when in Wi-Fi. Androids use either sms or mms.

@Timer wrote:

@kateyyj 

for SMS no need wifi or data on... for MMS need turn data on.

• Go to Settings and tap "Messages," then make sure "MMS Messaging" is turned on by swiping the button to the right.
  • MMS Go to Settings-> Cellular-> then tap the switch to enable Cellular Data.

It is highly unlikely that an Apple user would not want to use iMessage or to go back and forth changing their settings. Perhaps a concept that you would not understand. 

@CountyDownIeUk @dust2dust 

why you say no,,, do you test it in your device. what then is will be happen do you know?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Some iPhones handle the differences automatically. But to receive an iMessage without data or wifi is hit and miss. I would assume you have at least 250mb of data....learn to manage it. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@Timer wrote:

@kateyyj 

tried this > Deregister and Turn Off iMessage

and rebooting device.

@kateyyj 

Noooooooooooooo if you want iMessage don’t do this!!!!!!!!!

@CountyDownIeUk- Well you did say "Or" in your previous reply. But yes Timer could have explained any consequences.

@kateyyj- The above user is the rather more Apple guy around here. Please defer to him when he's involved. (Like all of us we're not always around.) Your issue is one of many reasons why I'm not an Apple guy.

@Timer wrote:

@kateyyj 

tried this > Deregister and Turn Off iMessage

and rebooting device.

@kateyyj 

Noooooooooooooo if you want iMessage don’t do this!!!!!!!!!

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@kateyyj 

You don’t  have data included  in your plan....or you have run out? All plans have data. Are you not with PM?

You can respond and send a text in a green bubble without changing your iMessage settings.

Google it. 

Or you can do texts only by turning iMessage off permanently. 

kateyyj

it is awkard to tell everyone lol.i had no problem using androin phone 

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@kateyyj hi you need to be on wifi or data to receive imessage if you are not using either than your iphone freinds will need to send you an sms 

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@kateyyj 

for SMS no need wifi or data on... for MMS need turn data on.

• Go to Settings and tap "Messages," then make sure "MMS Messaging" is turned on by swiping the button to the right.
  • MMS Go to Settings-> Cellular-> then tap the switch to enable Cellular Data.
Need Help? Let's chat.