cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international roaming + iMessage

514john
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all, just wondering if any of you have had experience roaming internationally and using iMessage and FaceTime on iPhone. I know that PM doesn't support international roaming... does this affect using my phone number as my Apple ID? I've had instances in the past when roaming where my number was "waiting for activation" because I didn't have my home carrier enabled (which in turn booted my phone number off of iMessage and FaceTime). Turning on my home carrier (no data roaming) seemed to fix this issue. I'm assuming this won't be an option with PM since their services are not available overseas. Anyone have any insight? 

5 REPLIES 5

fatpanda0

I recently joined PM so don’t have experience of this specific issue, but you may face the issue you are describing. I recently had my dad over and he has SIM issue getting a lock on a Canadian provider for his non Canadian SIM. Needless to say while data eSIM was useful it caused a lot of hassle for him with iMessages booting him out and constant errors popping up. I have had some folks mention a workaround on this. They would use an old iPhone to put the SIM into and leave at home with the share nearby option enabled. This way if you have a text coming in, it will work with iMessage and regular text as well. It will also forward the text message back to your primary iPhone. Again too complicated in my opinion but if you have a spare one at your disposal it’s worth trying. Essentially you travel phone will work as an iPad on WiFi while you are data roaming via a secondary eSIM internationally. 

@514john 

if you have wifi in your travels...Whatsapp is another great way to stay in touch with your homies.

514john

Thanks for your answer. No, I'm not overseas yet, just planning ahead. From what I've read online, as long as I don't deactivate and reactivate iMessage and FaceTime (meaning no need to send an activation code), I should be fine to keep my number activated. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @514john you shouldn't get that error, iMessage and FaceTime will work on wifi even overseas as long as you are not away from your own carrier for extended long time.  

Are you overseas now, when was the last time you connected on PM??

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @514john 

If you're overseas and have access to WiFi, iMessage and Facetime will still work. You can always purchase a data plan wherever you may go as well. https://www.airalo.com/ 

Need Help? Let's chat.