cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone XR sending normal sms texts.

mbreakster
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have really bad ocd and anxiety so this problem is affecting more then it should. To those who have an iPhone XR, do you find that free speed and signal strength sending normal sms texts to android users, is somehow effected by what mode it’s in? Meaning either in 3g mode or lte mode? I know it shouldn’t matter at all cause im sending a sms message so I am so confused by it. Done all the other things like restart factory set airplane mode on and off, network setting restart so don’t bother with those tests. Hopefully this explains enough. 

thanks so much 

Mattie

6 REPLIES 6

Of course it matters. LTE delivers SMS via NAS messages from the MME. For 3G, everything goes through the RNC. The air interface, core network, and attach latencies are totally different between 3G and LTE.

This is especially true when your phone is in idle mode. LTE connects to the network very quickly, but 3G has a bit of a lag. If you're already connected, the delta is not that noticeable. The analogy I would make is to compare call setup time for a VoLTE call vs a 3G call. It's much faster on LTE.

mbreakster

I don’t get it cause you don’t even have to have your data on to send sms so why should it matter if your phone is on lte or 3g? 

mbreakster

Why is that. It should not matter right? Since it’s just using sms. You have the same deal on your iPhone XR? 

SMS on LTE is noticeably faster than 3G.

a4chiu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A SMS text consumes bytes of data, it should not be affected by LTE or HSPA speeds.

However, if the phone is slow or laggy, it will seem like the texts take awhile to arrive. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@mbreakster  I use an XR and leave it in 3G mode. Find signal is more stable and, at PM anyway,  speed is never worse than LTE. Only downside is lack of Amber alerts.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.