cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6s, Keeps Dropping Service using GPS

imiller
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey all, 

I am just looking for some assistance with a pesky issue that only seems to happen with my PM sim. I have tested with a separate Bell sim and do not experience these issues. 

When using GPS (google maps) while driving my phone will always drop service after a few minutes of driving, forcing me to hard reboot the phone for it to come back.  This happens every single time I try to use the GPS on my phone and speratically happens when just driving around not using GPS.

Could this be a faulty SIM card?  It's seems as if the network is having a hard time transitioning me from one tower to the next.  Could I have something wrong with my carrier settings?   

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@rbacton @imiller seems to be a not-uncommon issue:  https://www.google.ca/search?q=iphone+6s+randomly+loses+signal&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA752CA752&oq=iphone+6s...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imiller

Never did find a solution and it never happened with my wife’s 6s. I ended up buying an 8 and the problem never came back. Could have just been the phone, but I never had that problem until I switch to PM then it started immediately with their sim.  

rbacton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@imiller wrote:

If anyone is wondering, I did get a new sim card from the mods and unfortunately I am still having this issue.  They will try a service ticket and see what comes of that. 

Hi - I just came across this thread because I have had the exact same issue with my iPhone 6S for quite a while now. It seems to drop signal the most when I am using Google maps, but also happens randomly in other situations and is becoming quite frustrating.

Did you end up finding a solution?

imiller

If anyone is wondering, I did get a new sim card from the mods and unfortunately I am still having this issue.  They will try a service ticket and see what comes of that. 

@imiller Based on the discussion I think it's the SIM. I have no issue with an iPhone 5.

To check for a carrier update: Settings >> General >> About: if a carrier update is offered install it.

There are no settings accessible beyond sp.mb.com instead of isp.mb.com.

GPS is independent of the cell towers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Is there any chance you can get your hands on (and your SIM card into) either an unlocked or Telus/Koodo phone?

C'mon iPhone experts, where are you? 🙂

imiller

Once i got home I tried the carrier settings again from that site on safari and it managed to load but I can see that while the profile is there now there are no addition carrier settings outside of the personal hotspot.  I am stumped. 

koimr1

Shoot @imiller, I am not an iPhone guy so I might not be any more help here.

The weird thing that started my train of thought was that when I first came to PM I had a Moto X Play that had a custom ROM - the APN was set properly automagically but any app that used the GPS would instantly reboot the phone. I did some looking and found on XDA that setting my APN Type to "default,mms" fixed it.

I know you have a completely different device but just figured it might worth looking at. Smiley Indifferent

Hoping that one of the iPhone experts here will be able to chime in!

imiller

Mmm.  I definitely dont have any problems with data while on LTE but i did dig into this page:   

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

which said goto this page for the settings: https://apn-canada.gishan.net.  When I go into the Cell Data Settings, the only item i see is Personal Hotspot, i dont see any manual configuration settings for Cellular Data, LTE or MMS.   

I then tried the http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ website and while I tried to create the APN, it just loads a blank page and no changes to the APN is made on my phone.  I have also tried resetting all network settings and i still get no manual APN options. 

koimr1

@imiller wrote:

ugh. just tried this and realized my work phone us locked and they wont unlock it for me.  

Would testing my work sim in my phone prove that something is wrong with my PM sim?

Possibly. But I am more inclined to think it's something else.

When you switched to PM did you do anything with your APN?

Just for chuckles give that a check - I know with two phones of mine I had to manually put in the correct APN before everything worked correctly. This may not be your issue but let's get it out of the way first. 🙂

imiller

ugh. just tried this and realized my work phone us locked and they wont unlock it for me.  

Would testing my work sim in my phone prove that something is wrong with my PM sim?

imiller

Not yet as I dont have this issue when I use the sim card from my work phone which is on Bell and i never experienced this while on Rogers.  I started noticing this problem immediately after i switched to PM.   I will try this sim in my work phone and see if the issue follows the sim though and go from there.  

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@imiller tower hand-offs are very rarely problematic.  Have you tried talking to the folks at the Apple Store?

EDIT: tagging my favourite iPhone folks @Rockdaddy22 and @Luddite in hopes they may be able to help.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire

Try your sim in other phone to see if its service issue if other react same as iPhone 6s then defintly its a service then then send a msg to mod once you tried out sim in other phone 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Add your number email address and detail issue  

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
Need Help? Let's chat.