cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

default SIM unlock code not working

dbinott
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched my moms phone to an android from a feature phone. the phone is unlocked but has a SIM lock. I enter 1234 and it says it is incorrect. Only 7 or 8 more tries. Is there another number?

7 REPLIES 7

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@dbinott hi, I guess your mom set up a pin on her sim which wasn't the default code(1234)

Once you enter the PUK code wrong 10 times the sim will deactivate and you will need to purchase a new sim card

contact customer support mods here

type "PUK code"

(use the chat bubble options, then click "submit a ticket, click me" option)
https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

@dbinott Your device is most likely network locked.

While the SIM card's default PIN is 1234,  @Luddite was mentioning how there wouldn't be any reason to enter it.  This security of the SIM card needs to be enabled by the user, and if you never changed it, the code would still be 1234.

As for the code that your phone is asking for, the device asking for the SIM Network Unlock PIN does mean that is locked to a different carrier.

As for Bell telling you that the phone is already unlocked, they would have no way of knowing that in many cases. Yes, they can research if the device was locked to begin with, but for a device that was/is locked, they wouldn't know the current status of that lock. Most carrier locked devices require the user to input the unlock code.  Bell doesn't know if that was ever done.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@dbinott wrote:

I switched my moms phone to an android from a feature phone. the phone is unlocked but has a SIM lock. I enter 1234 and it says it is incorrect. Only 7 or 8 more tries. Is there another number?

Unless your mom added the SIM lock, Bell has misled you and it's still locked. Try your (none Bell) SIM in the her new phone; try your mom's SIM in your phone?

Restart the new phone with the PM SIM installed. What is the exact message you see?

LATE EDIT: There is NO default SIM unlock code as PM SIMs ship unlocked.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dbinott
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It's a SIM lock, not device lock. I already confirmed with Bell that it is unlocked. Not a samsung phone. Doro. I will contact a mod.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@dbinott if the phone askimg for a sim unlock puk code or something to it? Then its locked to the previous provider.  Contact them and ask them to unlock it for you.  You will need your imei number dial *#06# to get it.  If its a Samsung phone contact Samsung online and ask them to unlock it for you. Stay safe. 

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@dbinott wrote:

@dbinott hello try contacting a moderator you can do so by clicking the question mark at the lower right corner,to avoid going around in circles with Simon say that you want a human to speak to, a ticket will then be generated briefly mention your issue, you should get a response between 2 to 48 hours a reply should show up in your little envelope in the top right corner 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Was the phone used with a another provider or is a Samsung phone ?

Here is a previous thread with an explaination by one of the oracales, Luddite.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/PUK-Code/m-p/423240

Need Help? Let's chat.