cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't make outgoing long distance call but on unlimted plan

Momma22
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My kids have only had their number for a couple of weeks and are on the unlimited canada wide long distance. They have been unable to make long distances from outside their local area and get a recording to say that they could be charged long distance fees. 

25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Momma22 : Don't let anybody tell ya there's no support here. 🙂

Momma22

Using the one is a given for the long distance. 🙂   We weren't sure if the automated message was just that...automated....and we would hear it every time or a fluke at the time. 🙂     
Everyone is so quick with responses.   Thank you! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

We are all still learning....trust me there still a tonne of things I don't know or fully understand yet. When I don't I defer or tag those who do know.....

@darlicious 

i agree with you
we are all still learning... more and more and the Technology is the point in the sea....

@Anonymous 

We are all still learning....trust me there still a tonne of things I don't know or fully understand yet. When I don't I defer or tag those who do know.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

i know, my mistake,

i have just to post it that  only  ( at public mobile prepaid service No fees extra charges,)

but it's ok for next time i will do my best....

Momma22

Thank you! 🙂

@Anonymous 

Public Mobile used the phrase "More for less". Turn that around and use the phrase "Less is more." Yes what you are saying is correct but is it needed? No. The OP's question asked about long distance calling within Canada so edit out anything international and stick to answering just the question asked which is a common one so you should be able to tell what needs to be answered. Maybe you should put the common questions asked and the answers together in your notes so you have a handy reference to what should or should not be included in your reply.

@Momma22 

If you do not put a (1) in front of a phone number you will recieve this telus network message warning as the network cannot distinguish what your plan includes or not. If you remain on the line the phone call will connect after the message concludes. Regardless there are never any overages, extra billing or fees with public mobile. You can always proceed forward when receiving an " extra charges may apply" message.  Either the service will not work or if it does it's included with your service plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The country code for North America is 1. The + is intended to exit the North America system (Edit: or any) to call somewhere internationally. My suspicion would be that the dialer is seeing that + and also knows the phone is in North America and so strips out the + and completes the call. Again...why bother typing it? Pressing and holding even..not just a simple tap.

Edit: Certainly you're right. But it's unnecessary, extraneous, useless information that is of no help to anyone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech wrote:

@Anonymous   I guess you still don't see the difference between area code and country code..  😞

no worry, keep using your template, i guess

ok.. you see the difference between area code or country code.  🙂

I am no stance in terms of the +.. but I agree it might not be needed.  Your choice

@softech 

area code is 647 

country code +1

i know that 

but if you make call +1647xxxxxxx is going through and if you make call  1647xxxxxxx is also going through, 

update @softech 

and if someone you don't add in your contact number at your device when give a call to you is showing you  +1416xxxxxxx, within canada that call ,, so is not will showing you 1416xxxxxxx, you know test it

Anonymous
Not applicable

The + is extraneous unnecessary typing not to mention a little harder to type. It's intended to replace the old 011 (which still works) to exit North America to call somewhere internationally. Why bother?

@Anonymous   I guess you still don't see the difference between area code and country code..  😞

no worry, keep using your template, i guess

ok.. you see the difference between area code or country code.  🙂

I am no stance in terms of the +.. but I agree it might not be needed.  Your choice

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech 

I agree, with you, 

but when you make call to add +1 or just 1 at any USA or canadian number is going through also,, then where the issue !

@Anonymous wrote:

@softech 

it's not matter when you make call long distance to canada or USA you have to add a +1 in front of the area code or just 1 both is will work no matter when you add +1 or 1 the call is going through,

@Anonymous   yeah... you found out what was wrong with your template.. it is to add +1 in front of the area code .. not the country code  🙂

adding 1 to country code would mean 1-1-416-123-4567  🙂

@hairbag1 wrote:

Again...confusing and not useful info.

I agree, 

The template is good and easy to answer fast, being the first to answer

but it's more important to just answer what was asked.  Extra information is good, but for someone who tries to fix his/her issue, they will likely appreciate some good points that help them to solve their issue quick 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech wrote:

@Anonymous  you probably have to update your template.  Technically +1 is the "country code" for Canada and USA already.  Or maybe You meant to say add a +1 in front of the area code.  ??

@softech 

it's not matter when you make call long distance to canada or USA you have to add a +1 in front of the area code or just 1 both is will work no matter when you add +1 or 1 the call is going through,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : We don't even need the + for dialing in North America.

The first part of that post is actually an edited copy of something I wrote long ago.

@Anonymous wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Momma22 

at public mobile prepaid service No fees extra charges,

To get the obvious out of the way...you used ( +1 or 1 ) in front of the country code,

Sometimes there are some extra leading zero's in country codes and "foreign" area codes.

Maybe try not using leading zeros.

Make sure your phone is off before removing and reinserting its SIM card.

do one thing rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Good Luck

This is again, a bit misleading and confusing. No need to do anything with the sim.

OP should just let the call complete as there will be no "long distance" charges applied.

@hairbag1 

i know, but for what i mean for Rebooting the phone

to refreshing your network,

Again...confusing and not useful info.

@Anonymous  you probably have to update your template.  Technically +1 is the "country code" for Canada and USA already.  Or maybe You meant to say add a +1 in front of the area code.  ??

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Momma22 

To get the obvious out of the way...you used ( +1 or 1 ) in front of the country code,

Sometimes there are some extra leading zero's in country codes and "foreign" area codes.

do one thing rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Good Luck

This is again, a bit misleading and confusing. No need to do anything with the sim.

OP should just let the call complete as there will be no "long distance" charges applied.

@hairbag1 

i know, but for what i mean for Rebooting the phone

i know is not necessary but just like that better way..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Momma22 

that message is normal from Telus recording that long distance charges would apply,

because public mobile use Telus network
just ignore that message and enjoy the service

@Anonymous wrote:

@Momma22 

Good Luck

Momma22

Thank you.     I realize now that I should have been clearer on the area.  She was in another province and after dialing her dad's number she received the recording that long distance charges would apply and it wouldn't go through.    I did check her account and I didn't see any charges for the call so all is good on that end. 🙂 

Momma22

Thank you for your reply! 🙂   I will reconfirm with her and go through your other helpful suggestions.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Momma22 : There's no country code per se when calling the US or Canada. No + needed either. No leading zeros in North America either. Edit: And no need to re/re SIM or restart phone.

The recording is a legacy recording. There are no extra charges here. The call will just proceed to go through. Adding the 1 in front will bypass the recording.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Momma22 

To get the obvious out of the way...you used ( +1 or 1 ) in front of the country code,area code

update @Momma22 

what i mean for Rebooting the phone

i know is not necessary but just like that better way..

Good Luck

Need Help? Let's chat.