cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE Cymbal 2 - return for replacement?

Montrealpost
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Bought the ZTE Cymbal 2 on 18/3, having the following concerns:

1.  When I close the flip phone, feel the phone a bit wobbly.  i.e. when closed, the top cover of the phone can be "moved" almost 0.3-0.4cm.  Doesn't feel solid/stable.  Is this normal?

2.  Spec of the battery is "On standby, the phone can reach 16 days with a single charge". 

a) I charged phone 4/4 10am, today 12/4 only 25% battery.  Only send about 15 SMS + 5-10 minutes talk time, WIFI+Bluetooth always OFF.  Is this normal or battery is on the low side?  (We care a lot about battery + hate charging phone 😅)

b) Now Preferred Network Type is "4G/3G/2G auto", if I change to "3G/2G auto" or "3G only", will that save battery?

3.  With above 2 issues, should I ask for exchange? (We love the model, exchange only, not refund)  If so,

a)  Wasn't sure if we can bring to Telus store and get replacement right away?

b)  How much longer we'll have for replacement unit to replace again(in case of problem again)?

I'll check for answer(s) in morning.  Thanks in advance!!

5 REPLIES 5

JL9
Mayor / Maire

You only have about 5 days left before the exchange/refund period is over and then you would have to go through warranty

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Montrealpost 

I ordered the same phone. If you are seeing the movement at the bottom of the phone then yes this is normal as long as the hinged top...edit...stupid post button.....the hinged top is solid when open.

The battery life is not normal unless you have a poor signal and your phone is constantly looking for a better signal. Test as you suggested in 3G only to see if that changes because the phone is staying connected to one network. But you would also likely have this issue on another phone as well. I have not used a SIM card in this phone more than a few minutes to test after arrival but the phone was put back in the box powered on and the battery still had one bar a week later when I took it out of the box again.

If the issue is the battery alone you may be able to go to a telus store after talking to customer support and just exchange the battery since its removable if in fact the battery has a diminished capacity.

I used my old flip phone when my partner and I were temporarily living on the city limit border of Kamloops half way up the mountain. The telus signal was very spotty and I had to hike up the mountain about an hour to get a good enough signal to phone my mom etc....otherwise I had to keep my phone plugged in all the time or it would drain the battery in a few hours. After living there for nearly a year the poor signal had taken a toll on the life of the battery and I had to replace it.

You can also remove the battery to see if there is damage or "swelling" to the battery if it does not lie absolutely flat as that is eventually what had happened to mine.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

1. I did have flip phones before and NONE had such 'movements' when closed. They were all solid - like one piece. I would not like to have such phone as one part might just fly off.

2. Batteries with refurbished phones are always an issue. You have no idea who and how phone was used and I doubt seller will provide brand new battery.

If bought from PM, you have to contact agent for replacement. They will send you mailing slip (or something like that). You have 30 days for exchange. After 30 days warranty starts. All these issues might be difficult to prove and claim as 'warranty' issues. Only if phone is not working you might get it repaired. For mechanical issues they might blame you, so...

Montrealpost
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@JK8  We like the phone, just not sure if it's really that good.

Need Help? Let's chat.