cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would like to disable texting on my account

Natty2023
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a teenage daughter (yes, thank you in advance for your consoling words, haha), I would like to either:

(a) limit who she can text or

(b) disable texting on her cell account.

Thank you kindly

9 REPLIES 9

Bluenoser780

You didn’t mention what kind of phone she’s using. If she’s on an iPhone you can add her AppleID under your family account and you can have full control under the “family” screen time settings as to which apps she can use, when, and for how long. For example you can block contacts completely, block texting at certain times of the day, allow communication with only certain contacts during certain hours of the day. It’s actually insanely impressive the level of control and customization you can have over their access on their phone, and you can also lock it so they can’t sign out of their iCloud account on that phone to get around any of the restrictions.

I’m not super familiar with Android devices, but you can lock settings down in much the same way with Google’s “Family Link” app as well. 

As far as restricting certain services through public mobile, you can’t. But if you wanted her to NEVER be able to text, you could always get a pay-as-you-go voice only sim for her phone.

I hope this helps! 

@Natty2023 wrote:

So... all of this is indicating to me that Public Mobile doesn't have a PHONE CALL ONLY service? 

Nope...all current plans include texting. Only real option is to take away cell phone privileges...either for a day or longer if needed.  If she's not the one paying, then mom & dad are the rule makers !!

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Natty2023 they do not, sorry.

Natty2023

So... all of this is indicating to me that Public Mobile doesn't have a PHONE CALL ONLY service? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Natty2023

you cannot do it with PM.  However, maybe you can try to remove the message app

Or install AppLock. It requires a pin to access the app you want to lock down

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Taking away the SIM card is the only solution.  My niece is in that doghouse already.  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

Does she actually use SMS texting, or is she using iMessage, Messenger, WhatsApp or some other app like that?   If it's the latter type then she can still "text" if she has data even if you could block SMS.  There are "parental controls" you can set up on an iPhone however.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you can find the SMSC number then you could change it to something. That would stop outgoing. But if she's clever she could figure out how to fix it.

@Natty2023 wrote:

I have a teenage daughter (yes, thank you in advance for your consoling words, haha), I would like to either:

(a) limit who she can text or

(b) disable texting on her cell account.

Thank you kindly

Sorry, but there is option for this.  Also, text messaging service is requirement for the 2FA security feature to be able to get into your account.

Need Help? Let's chat.