cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WinBack Offer/Regain Referral Credits

kutzki
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey there, I'll happily post this publicly since I used to use the original Public Mobile after the Telus purchase, community years before the upgrades/changes. Curious to know from staff if there is some kind of WinBack offer for ex-contributors. As you can tell from my profile I was a beta user in 2015 when Public Mobile entered beta, even going so far as being invited to the Telus building downtown and providing in-person feedback which was a great experience. I even referred 2 people, and I want to switch back to them after several years of Public Mobile, but I was curious to know if there was a way to get some kind of discount/access back to my old referral credits and/or discounts. I left Telus because the deals worsened, and the discounts and rewards weren't as good, so I wanted to know if there's any reason/benefit to switching back.

EDIT: THE COMMUNITY IS DEF STILL HERE ❤️ Probably gonna switch back, let's see what happens.

Last point: I can no longer log in to my Public Mobile email address and the password reset isn't working EVEN though I can log in to my community account. Curious to know if I just need to now re-sign up and was purged from the system for inactivity or whatever?

20 REPLIES 20

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@kutzki 

Woo-hoo just in the nick of time! Now we can officially Welcome you to Public Mobile!

Make sure your community account email address matches your self serve email and that you have verified  the community account email so if you earn any "get back" (community) reward points for your participation in the community they will get added to your points rewards account.

kutzki

I did indeed get to take advantage of the 3x points haha so ty very much

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@kutzki 

Hopefully you activated shortly after your original post because as of the other day the 3×points promotion is a dead deal. 😔

No current pm promotions at the moment.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@kutzki 

That's totally up to you....but you only get the 3×points (or the extra 10%) for 12 months. Since you don't earn points on redemptions it's better to wait until after the promotion ends for your account to redeem for $15 bill credits. If you want to redeem for add ons during the promotional period then as long as they are discounted then the redemption savings is likely better than the points earned.

Using add on data as an example:

• Domestic data:
  • 200mb/$5 (+.75pts earned) net cost=$4.25 or redeem 5pts=$5 net cost (-.75pts loss)
  • 1gb/$15 (+$2.25pts earned) net cost=$12.75 or redeem 10pts=$10 net cost (save $2.75)
  • US Roaming data:
  • 250mb/$10 (+1.5pts earned) net cost=$8.50 or redeem 5pts=$5 net cost (save $3.50)
  • 500mb/$15 (+2.25pts earned) net cost=$12.75 or redeem 10pts=$10 net cost (save $2.75)
  • 1gb/$20 (+3pts earned) net cost=$17 or redeem 15pts=$15 net cost (save $2)
  • 3gb/$25 (+$3.75 earned) net cost=$21.25 or redeem 20pts=$20 net cost (save $1.25)

For the most part with the 3×points promotion you still save more by redeeming points for add ons with the exception of the $5/200mb data add on which is a straight up redemption so it would always be better to purchase and earn points than redeem points otherwise redemptions save you money (more so once the 3× points promotion ends.)

Based on your $40 plan cost your total savings in points during the first 12 months=72 points (value $72 or $70.50 if you recieve the $10 bonus referral credit=1.5pts less earned points on the credit). If you redeemed 4×$15 bill credits you would earn 9pts (net 6pts) less than if you wait until after the promotion ends to redeem for bill credits.

@kutzki wrote:

. So your guys' suggestion is to literally save up those points, DON'T insta-apply that credit to my account? 🙂

@kutzki   on the new point system, the point won't instantly converted to credit.  You have to collect to 15 points and then redeem for $15 bill credit.  

Unless you need to buy add-on , then you use the points for addon redemption and it is cheaper to redeem from points than buying it with cash

if you are not redeeming for addon, then redeem for $15 bill credit whenever you have 15 points, there is no advantage to build up more points.  Like all point system , if you decide to leave PM one day , those unused points are wasted and cannot be transferred.

kutzki

Yaaahhhh might as well. I want the Telus network, and it's the most affordable option. The $40/month for 15GB deal is solid with the points offer too. So your guys' suggestion is to literally save up those points, DON'T insta-apply that credit to my account? 🙂

So.... ya gonna give it another go @kutzki ?

kutzki

LOLLLLL Im dead! Good to see the banter's still here tooooo hats off to all of ya! ❤️

autopsy.. of course DEAD..

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@kutzki 

Lol....that $3 autopsy reward wasn't long lived?!!

😀😃😃😄😄😄😆😆😆😆😁😁😁😁😁😅😅😅😅😅😅😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

kutzki

I remember the good old days when the autopay discount was $3, and the referral rewards were $2 instead of 1. Also just contributing to the forums and being active could literally give me like anywhere from $5-$25 if not more per term (I was on a quarterly billing cycle, so I paid every 3 months)

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@kutzki 

The points system is not as lucrative as the old $$ rewards program but you can make it work for you depending on your needs. It's more of an active member program rather than a passive customer system.

The single biggest disadvantage is the change from the up to $5/30 days loyalty reward to the 10 points=$10 yearly anniversary points. (Amounting to $50/yr less rewards value after 5 years.)But the anniversary points are added to your rewards account on the anniversary date of your activation regardless of any time spent suspended in the previous 12 months.

The current 3×get back points for 12 months offer a decent discount if you save these points until the promotion is over so that you wring every last extra point out of the promo.....since you don't earn get back points on redemptions or promo credits. The break even point for the 5% get back points vs the $2 autopay reward is the $40 plan (currently in-market with 15gb). With 3×points back you recieve 6pts=$6/30 days.

Referral points and Give Back (community) points rewards work as before simply giving you the equivalent 1 point=$1 reward in your rewards account.

While you must redeem points for $15 bill credits and a couple of add ons like the $5/500min add on are not discounted most redemption catalogue add ons are discounted between 25% and 50%. So if you travel to the US there are decent savings to be had for roaming add ons or supplementing the $15 plan data with 10pt/$10/1gb add on redemptions rather than the regular $15/1gb add on price.

Public Points can work well for those needing an extra "data" account that stays suspended on a regular basis and is timed to be reactivated during the month of December to be eligible to recieve the "more is merrier" holiday gifts of 500 international long distance minutes and 2gb data add on. Points customers were also able to redeem 0pts for an additional 1gb data add on.

And if you feel lucky.....there are the lucky draws for gift cards and new iPhones or Samsung "S" series phones for a point or two per entry.

Welcome back to the community!

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

with the points, these days it's just easier to bank them till you need a discounted addon, or are having a rough month to apply toward your bill when you meet the threshold to do so, so they have their utility really.

kutzki

Wow thank you all so much! I guess the rewards may suck now, but it's nice to see that the community is still here and thriving! Love you guys so much as always haha, but really disappointed to see what the reward situation has been turned into 😞 although still appreciate having a prepaid service in Canada.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@kutzki 

Public mobile has on the rare occasion offered "winback" offers to former customers usually via email. There was one offered in 2020 I believe that offered 12 to 24 month discounts of $5 or $10 off depending on the plan price.

Another one last spring (?) offered additional promotional bonus monthly recurring plan data (xx 2gb/30 days....I think?) that possibly could have been stacked with other bonus data promos at the time if anyone was willing to be the guinea pig but alas no one reported doing so...?

But these kind of offers are very YMMV. Your best bet would be hopefully pm offering another round of bonus $25 ($5×5 months)referral credit promos for both the referrer and the referred. They have been limited to one per account but the new customer can double dip if they also refer someone within the promotional period. ( You also get the regular $10 bonus referral credit and the referrer will recieve their monthly $1 or 1 point rewards.

Public Mobile recently offered a very short term free Sim card promo and had previously had a BOGO free Sim card offer online since last summer.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kutzki , all the past has been sort of forgotten.  Had you stayed, the loyalty would have been well rewarded by now.  There is the immediate gratification and playing the long game.  That said, the plans are a better value than back in the day.  However, the rewards have gone backwards.  Net outcome is it is still a pretty good deal relative to the alternatives.  Public Mobile has never offered any win back deals.  

XionBunny

As much as the new points system is inferior, it has its own charm and use too, sure there isn't as much advantage but there still is some savings.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@kutzki 

Hate to break it to you, but the rewards have gotten worse here.

Not only will you be unable to get any of your old rewards/benefits which you may have once enjoyed, but your only 'reward' option now is a program called Public Points which is way less rewarding ESPECIALLY in the Loyalty area.   

Had you remained here, you'd be receiving at least $5.00 per each 30-day period for Loyalty + $2.00 for auto-pay if you used it + $2.00 for the two referrals (if they're still with PM).    

So $9.00 off every 30 days for your chosen plan.   That's pretty sweet!!!

If you come back, you might get an activation deal when there's one next offered, but other than that, you'd be starting all over with an inferior reward system compared to what you once knew.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@kutzki   Your Self server My Account login will be deactivated once you cancelled your PM service or ported away

Community account is different, it is a forum account and it will not get deactivated

As to winback offer, sorry, there is really no winback offer here anymore.  So, check the current plan and see which one you like.  Unfortunately, the plan page does not list all the plans, but here you are:

3G speed plan: 

$15 for 250 Mb (** only plan that does not come with unlimited minutes but 100 minutes outgoing calls)

$25 for 1GB 

$30 for 3GB

4G speed plan

$35 for 3GB

$37 for 5GB

$40 for 15GB

$45 for 20 GB

$50 for 23 GB

$65 for 35GB

And keep in mind, PM now has Public Points, you earn 5% of the Public points on all spending you have on PM.  New activation get 3X points

XionBunny

You would have to wait for any publicly offered promotion, they don't offer those kinds of deals on a person by person bases, mostly because this is a no frills self serve prepaid service they don't have your standard retention department.

Also, once you port out your account is closed, there is no access to it and any records you would need to contact a cs_agent to acquire.

Need Help? Let's chat.