cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will public mobile allow us to control emergency alert volume?

Bhong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Will public mobile allow us to control emergency alert volume?

I'm in BC, when the emergency alert came on, it freaked me out at night, and a couple times early morning. 
I've chatted with Apple support and they said your cell provider is the one who gives you the ability to control emergency alert volume. 

anyone have information on this? 

Thank you! 

16 REPLIES 16

@Bhong wrote:

No, I don't see any item called government alerts. 

In any events, the settings on the device for government alerts won't do anything if they are changed. The official system in Canada ignores all of those settings.

Bhong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No, I don't see any item called government alerts. 

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

In my case, emergency alerts do not override silent mode, but they *do* override do not disturb mode, because technically your sound is still on but it filters what comes through. In my case I only have it set so that if my mom calls it'll ring through, but alerts get through it, even if it's set to allow texts from no one through as an exception

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 Indeed, I was commenting based on the original posters iPhone.

@umnikke8 wrote:

Emergency Alerts override silent mode.

As from earlier, that's not always the case. This will depend entirely on the way that the software on each individual device has been programmed.

umnikke8

Emergency Alerts override silent mode.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

hmm...it just dawned on me with this conversation that my problem phone did not get the Amber alert. It's toggled on. I'm sitting on LTE. I have them all on except test (which is on now). My other older phone did get it. hmm

@gpixel wrote:

@Bhong 

1. Go to Settings > Notifications.
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the screen.
  3. Under Government Alerts, turn the type of alert on or off

That will not work.  Customers will still receive all emergency alerts even after changing those settings.  Customers could purposely connect to a different type of network, but that's a different matter.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

Interesting...I never thought to look into the settings of my phone for emergency alerts before, but now see there's a toggle switch for 3 different alert categories being Extreme threats (extreme threats to life/property), Severe threats (severe threats to life/property) and AMBER alerts, but I haven't found anything to control the audio level for these alerts.    I'm not sure what the difference between the first two is though and if disabling them will actually not give me the alerts. 

I might try (if I remember) to disable all but the first alert during night time hours and see if they work or not.

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @Bhong   the alert volume is a device level setup

However, as it being "emergency" alert, usually there is not much you can do.  Most phone, you cannot turn it off or change ringtone or volume.

And the Apple tech was WRONG.  Provider does not control your alert volume.  If you go back to Apple, ask him to provide you an email as a proof and I can help to follow up with Apple to confirm if it is true, which I doubt

It's a bit "annoying" sometimes, but there are really people who desperately need help.  It only comes at max once or twice a week.. max, usually less, I guess we shoudl just relax

I would also say that the carrier doesn't control the volume. Yes, volume of a device can be controlled remotely (try the phone finder features and you'll notice that if you try the option to make your phone sound off/ring so that you can find it), but for that to be even theoretically possible for emergency alerts, there would need to be an active internet connection.  It's well known (or at least it should be by now) that there is no data/no internet connection required for these alerts.

As will13am was saying, the volume is controlled by the software of the device, but it can go even further than that.  Some devices don't use the set volume for these alerts while some do.  Some other devices route the sound only through headphoens if you have them connected while some reroute the sounds to the loudspeaker.  Some devices will also play sounds out loud in DND mode while others will respect that or simply vibrate if the sound notification sounds are turned off.  It's the device manufactuer who would need to be contacted about all this and Apple saying that is the carrier is only passing the buck around.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Bhong   the alert volume is a device level setup

However, as it being "emergency" alert, usually there is not much you can do.  Most phone, you cannot turn it off or change ringtone or volume.

And the Apple tech was WRONG.  Provider does not control your alert volume.  If you go back to Apple, ask him to provide you an email as a proof and I can help to follow up with Apple to confirm if it is true, which I doubt

It's a bit "annoying" sometimes, but there are really people who desperately need help.  It only comes at max once or twice a week.. max, usually less, I guess we shoudl just relax

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Bhong 

1. Go to Settings > Notifications.
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the screen.
  3. Under Government Alerts, turn the type of alert on or off

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

As a general rule I put my phone on silent mode at night

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile does not control the volume of emergency alerts.  They merely follow regulations and broadcast them.  Depending on device, some controls are available at the device level.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have no idea if apple is similar at all, but android let's you go in and at least lower the priority. It's switched to off, it still overrides, but at least it's not panic inducing loud anymore. Even newer models are supposed to allow a full turn off but not sure if they get over ridden too.

I keep my phone in wcdma only mode when asleep as that mode cannot receive them. But the crappy thing about that is the idea of wcdma going away in a couple years. It's a long time away but also not quite, you know?

I've tried to look into if you can delete the sound file so you'll just see it (which if awake and able to be any good to anyone, you will) but no such luck so far. 😕

I share your frustration though... They need to keep them to true harm and leave the custody out of it. People going thru divorce will report their spouse out of spite, why do I need to care. If the spouse is truly armed and dangerous, fair enough

WoozyPolarBear

It's because of these "emergency" alerts that I have resorted to using an American Service provider for my main cell phone number. In the USA, you are given the option to opt out of these so called alerts. Why is it my responsibility to know where someone's kids are? People should learn how to parent properly rather than rely on the public to keep a watch on their kids. 99.999999% of the time, the kids are safe with the "other" parent while being thrown in the middle of a custody dispute, that shouldn't be burdening the public the way they do. I actually go out of my way to ignore "emergency" alerts that come in the middle of the night, and intentionally not read the details of those alerts. 

Need Help? Let's chat.