cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife switching from FIDO to PM

chappyshiba
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife will be switching from Fido to PM ( I'm already here) soon. She needs to keep her current number. I have read many posts about switching, although not sure which is the best one. A couple of questions:

1. She only has one phone ( new Samsung A54 ), currently using with Fido. Do we just do the porting procedures and at the end, just take out the Fido sim card and replace it with the activated PM sim card in the same phone?

2. I've read many times here that after a successful number transfer to PM, the Fido account will be closed automatically. Is this really the case or do we have to fight with Fido to get them to close it?

3. Is it best to port the number during the PM sign up process/ choosing plan rather than after the fact and which platform works the best ie. Android PM app or desktop via Chrome browser?

4. Any link to the best and simplest instructions to do the number porting would be appreciated.

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

@wetcoaster wrote:

@chappyshiba wrote:

"Complete to step 6. Note that your previous service is prepaid…you will need to pick a temporary number and contact the CS_Agent to complete the porting of your old number."

So we'll have to pick a PM number (temporary?) then contact a PM agent to complete the porting process?

In the end, she will get her current Fido number at the end of the porting process correct?

@chappyshiba 

😉I read that sentence in the other person's otherwise excellent "guide" and was just waiting for someone to take it literally... And here we go.

I think the missing piece of information in that sentence is "Koodo prepaid". Any other provider normally doesn't need any human intervention (running into glitches excluded in this statement). Koodo Prepaid and Public Mobile used to share some backstage infrastructure, so somewhere in the porting process the system thought that you wanted to transfer a number from the same provide, which is not possible. So that scenario needed manual intervention by the CSA.

@computergeek541  I feel a bit foolish: I'm out of the loop on this (and don't have the time for in depth research, search ) - is the above still true since the switch to the new portal?

That's suppsoed to be only for Koodo prepaid, but that isn't a factor becasue we know that the customer is porting from Fido. The information provided earlier that you have quoted is incorrect. 

@chappyshiba wrote:

I want to do it during the activation process. 

Just go ahead and insert your Fido information when prompted during the activation process.

@chappyshiba wrote:

"Complete to step 6. Note that your previous service is prepaid…you will need to pick a temporary number and contact the CS_Agent to complete the porting of your old number."

So we'll have to pick a PM number (temporary?) then contact a PM agent to complete the porting process?

In the end, she will get her current Fido number at the end of the porting process correct?

@chappyshiba 

😉 I read that sentence in the other person's otherwise excellent "guide" and was just waiting for someone to take it literally... And here we go.

I think the missing piece of information in that sentence is "Koodo prepaid". Any other provider normally doesn't need any human intervention (running into glitches excluded in this statement). Koodo Prepaid and Public Mobile used to share some backstage infrastructure, so somewhere in the porting process the system thought that you wanted to transfer a number from the same provide, which is not possible. So that scenario needed manual intervention by the CSA.

@computergeek541  I feel a bit foolish: I'm out of the loop on this (and don't have the time for in depth research, search ) - is the above still true since the switch to the new portal?

chappyshiba

I want to do it during the activation process. 

@chappyshiba wrote:

Those steps aren't correct. Public Mobile customer service wouldn't be contacted at that point (and might never need to be).  Customers need to be aware that this is a self serve carrier.  Number porting would be completed either during the activation process or requested from within your Public Mobile Self Serve account.

chappyshiba

shreyban
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi chappyshiba,

Here's a step-by-step guide to porting your wife's number from Fido to Public Mobile:

1. Keep the Fido SIM card active in her phone during the porting process. Do not cancel your Fido service; it will be automatically cancelled once the porting is complete.

2. Purchase a Public Mobile SIM card and activate it with a temporary number.

3. Initiate the number transfer process by contacting Public Mobile’s customer service or using the self-serve option on the Public Mobile account portal.

4. You will receive a text message from Fido asking to confirm the transfer. Reply 'YES' to this message promptly.

5. Once the transfer is complete, the phone will stop working with the Fido SIM card. At this point, you can replace the Fido SIM with the Public Mobile SIM card and restart the phone.

Remember to use the Fido account number, not the IMEI of the phone, when asked for the account information during the porting process.

For the most straightforward instructions, refer to the Public Mobile activation and porting guide on their website or contact their customer support directly for assistance.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@chappyshiba 

Here is the instruction to port your wife’s number over to PM.

The steps must be followed in exact order if you are porting your number over to PM:

• Make sure your old SIM is active so don’t cancel serviced with them.
  • Purchase a PM SIM from Amazon ($4.99), Canadian Cell Supplies ($6.99) or pick one up from Telusee/Koodo store ($10.00).
  • Download the PM app on your phone to activate the SIM. Use the old account number and not the IMEI to avoid issues. Complete to step 6. Note that your previous service is prepaid…you will need to pick a temporary number and contact the CS_Agent to complete the porting of your old number.
  • Keep the old SIM in your phone and wait for the text from old carrier and confirm with YES you are porting over to PM within 90 minute window once you get the text.
  • Keep the old SIM in your phone until porting process is completed because the old SIM will continue to work for about 2 hours.
  • Power off the phone once porting is completed then switch to PM SIM and power on your phone.

If all steps are followed, there could be provisional/backend issue with the SIM so contact a CS_Agent to fix at:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

chappyshiba

Thank you very much. This shed some light on things like using the Fido account number instead of IMEI and using the APP.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@chappyshiba   I initially took a PM number then when I knew everything was working OK I did the transfer (port) of my Rogers number.  You can do it during activation if you prefer.  Make sure to use the Fido account number when porting and not the IMEI because the latter tends to cause problems.  Leave the Fido sim in a phone to receive the text message from Fido to authorize the port.  You have 90 minutes to respond YES so don't start it last thing at night and then go to bed lol!   Once the Fido sim stops working you can take it out of the phone, put in the PM sim and restart the phone.

You must use the Public Mobile app to activate with PM.  You can use the website for maintenance after that.  Yes the Fido account should be automatically closed once the number has transferred successfully.

Tim_oh

so as far as transferring a number, when you get your PM sim it will give you an option to transfer a number. but you'll need access to your old number sim. sounds like you were simialr to me, i had virgin sim and transfer to PM, i put my PM sim in and transferred the number then had to put my old sim back in my phone to accept the text to say i agree to transferring the number. then put your new sim back in and it should be all good. i believe you have to buy a package with a sim first then theyll mail you a sim. i tried the esim once and had an issue with it and removed it and was not easy trying to get it back on to which some you cannot. hope this helps some 

Need Help? Let's chat.