cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are they sending data add-on by text?

Nskappak
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I pay for my son's cell phone plan. He used all his data before the month was over, then public texted him asking if he wanted to add on 1 GB of data for $15. He added it multiple times. How is he allowed to do this as a minor on my credit card? Is there a way to stop this from happening? Settings I can change? 

6 REPLIES 6

hi @Grayse many carrier will do this.  Some carrier even let you continue using data  and charge you later

you need to monitor your daughter usage. You cam also block the shortcode that PM uses to send you those sms to avoid stop getting the text

Grayse
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ugh.  I am in the same boat.  My daughter isn't replying anything, yet she has been charged 6 times in a month!  Before then it was years and she never got this message.  My son doesn't get this message.  Where we are there is no where to go in and pay.  I guess I just need to move to a different provider.  When signing up I was assured I would not be charged overages- but this is kinda the same. If you don't reply they still charge you?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Nskappak To add to what all the others have said, PM doesn't know that a minor is using the phone. You have the account set up with your credit card by the sounds of it so when an offer goes out to the phone anyone with the phone can reply YES. I know this is easier said than done but when the message goes out offering the chance to buy new data, tell your son he is not allowed to. The alternative to this and to truly stop this from happening is to remove your credit card (losing the autopay credit) and go in every month and add funds for the service.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Nskappak 

Remember you need to text STOP on his phone and not yours.

Just ask him for to look at him phone then type in STOP…sneaky!

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Nskappak 

You can try responding to the text with “STOP” or “UNSUBSCRIBE”, I know there are some text notifications that you are unable to opt out from.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Nskappak 

There are actually users who like the convenience of getting more data 

If you dont want such offers, you can stop it by replying STOP 

Need Help? Let's chat.