cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are my phone memory GB go???

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

If somebody could help me out to understand how my phone's internal storage is used and where the heck all those GB get wasted.

I have Motorola E4 Android with 16GB internal memory. OS is up to date.

Based on Storage Space app Android OS uses 5.86GB, Apps/Files 9.68GB and Free space is just 475MB and it shrinks slowly toward 0MB.

I looked and looked, where is that almost 10GB used for but cannot find any files to blame. Checked pictures, docs, videos folders - all is in MB. Have a little program (ES File Explorer), set it up to show me hidden files and still cannot find what occupies all those almost 10GB.

Final solution would be to do factory reset but I really hate to set up few apps I use daily. I have only 15 apps installed, no social network stuff... All pictures, videos, etc. are regularly moved to PC. I suspect some indexes are pointing to removed files and show fake storage use.

I did search the web for solution but to no avail. Yes, I can add memory card but would still like to know what is going on with my phone.

Any idea how to find and remove culprits will be appreciated

7 REPLIES 7

@Yummy 

I didn't lose much because I already back most stuff up and I had done a data transfer to my new phone 6 months ago. But the factory reset got rid of all the apps and crap you download over the years that you don't really need or use and you can just put back what you really need on a microsd if you want so you don't use the actual memory of the phone.

Or just back up everything on the microsd.....factory reset the phone and leave it  squeaky clean and access everything else thru the microsd. Just make sure you know your passwords for Google etc...

10 to 20 years......I was pretty mad at first. Lol!😎

@Anonymous wrote:@

can you try to Rebooting your phone off and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back

I turn off my phone every night. I see no point for it to be on when I sleep.

But thanks for advise, though!

@darlicious wrote:

Grrr.?.my bf accidently on purpose factory reset my A320 while ready to do 10 to 20 at the big house I relented for the fact that it cleared up about 7GB on my phone.

What is '10 to 20'??

Soooo... factory reset actually clean up your phone? I assume reset did not delete something you did not want to?

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Do you see "Miscellaneous Files" in your Storage Space app? If you tap on it you will see a list of apps (some of them maybe small by itself, but use a lot of space while functioning).

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy 

My A320 is only 16GB and I started to constantly get low memory warnings. I would make sure I always backed up my photos would help but not enough. Go thru your apps and get rid of any you really don't need or use. 

On a regular basis ( at least once a week) clear your cache in each of your apps, do daily device maintenance and delete  any pdf files you don't need. Does your phone support an micro sd card? You can store memory/storage heavy apps like Facebook or Instagram on the sd card rather than use your devices storage capacity.

Edit:

Grrr.?.my bf accidently on purpose factory reset my A320 while ready to do 10 to 20 at the big house I relented for the fact that it cleared up about 7GB on my phone.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Yummy   that is normal for Android... with a 16GB.. around 8 - 10 GB would be gone for the OS.. somewhere you cannot really see or touch... like a hidden partition...   those are os file, pre-installed app (bloatware)  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yummy 

can you try to Rebooting your phone off and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Need Help? Let's chat.