cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Phishing private messages are being sent to members

asousain
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Got a private message from a 2-hour old account named 'Bears', it claims to click a link to get a chance to win iphone 12.

I copied the link into google virus scan tool ( https://www.virustotal.com/gui/) and the link in the message was showing as phishing. DO NOT click on any link in your private messages unless you check how old is the account and test the URL in the tool above.

74 REPLIES 74

ccdevmike
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Gone one tonight! 

Hotties 
yesterday
Hello! We're giving away a brand new Apple iPhone 12 Pro! You can take part today! Enter now - www.winner-zone.com ~~ and complete a simple sign up for a chance to a win iPhone 12 Pro. Well, good luck!

@ToMuchCatnip You can add the user to your ignore list or turn private messaging off. If you ever need to moderators, remember to turn this on again.  Also, report the mesaage.

@ToMuchCatnip wrote:

got some strange message on forums just now. 

from some user named "Heats" 

chrome_nsPcR12XWg.png

Do not click on any of the links. It’s a scam. @CS_Agent 

ToMuchCatnip

got some strange message on forums just now. 

from some user named "Heats" 

chrome_nsPcR12XWg.png

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

@dabr  Maybe this way? Go to your private message box and type a few letters in. NO @

Screenshot_20201120_165839.jpg

@Jb456   Oh wow...lol!!  Obviously, I don't experiment enough!!  That is just crazy but I finally get it...thank you!! 🤣

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@dabr  Maybe this way? Go to your private message box and type a few letters in. NO @

Screenshot_20201120_165839.jpg

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

@dabr  Sorry I may have not said that correctly. I meant, you create a community forum account, then all the posts by everyone are visible. Be it an announcement by PM or just a post where people are answering someone's question. It's not hard to find like a 8 or 9 page thread of usernames to send private messages to.

@Jb456   I understand that when a new community account gets created that username is visible for everyone to see but I'm still not understanding how once privacy settings are enabled and signing into community forum hasn't happened for quite a while, a private message was sent to that username.  As far as I'm aware you have to click on a username's profile in order to send a private message?  If that username isn't even visible, nor ever posted within this forum, how does one send a private message?  Sorry maybe I'm being a bit dense because I'm not getting how that's even possible.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@dabr  Sorry I may have not said that correctly. I meant, you create a community forum account, then all the posts by everyone are visible. Be it an announcement by PM or just a post where people are answering someone's question. It's not hard to find like a 8 or 9 page thread of usernames to send private messages to.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

@dabr  maybe by simply going through an announcement thread or the monthly community reward announcement where multiple users post on? I'm not sure...

@Jb456   Except that there would be zero postings from this username, which leads me to suspect that there might be a rogue PM employee involved, or there's another perfectly reasonable explanation of course.  

Edit:  Perfectly reasonable explanation was offered by the very knowledgeable @Jb456 !

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@dabr  maybe by simply going through an announcement thread or the monthly community reward announcement where multiple users post on? I'm not sure...

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

@dabr  once a community forum account is created they can simply go down the list of users online or click usernames on threads then hit send user a message. 

In the message you don't have an option to block but you can click ignore. After that you can click report to report it to a mod.

I'm sure they're all signing up with the same IP so PM can find the usernames quickly. Eventually PM may just ban that IP all together from being able to access the forums if it gets out of hand. Kind of like last year when there was a that xxx spam.

@Jb456   Thanks for the tip about ignore, will note for future issues..

I can guess how they can access usernames who are visibly online but not so much if the settings for a username is set to private and hasn't even signed into their Community Account for a few weeks?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@dabr  once a community forum account is created they can simply go down the list of users online or click usernames on threads then hit send user a message. 

In the message you don't have an option to block but you can click ignore. After that you can click report to report it to a mod.

I'm sure they're all signing up with the same IP so PM can find the usernames quickly. Eventually PM may just ban that IP all together from being able to access the forums if it gets out of hand. Kind of like last year when there was a that xxx spam.

Please add GloomyClouds to the list of spammers.

Does anyone know how these users were able to send private messages to usernames who have never posted in the Community Forum?   Also if there's anyway to block them?

wbg13

Thanks for taking prompt action @Catherine_T 

Thank you for taking quick action 🙂@Catherine_T 

Update:

Our Mods have banned users who are sending the spam message. If these messages appear again, please tag us and let us know who the senders are so we can take action.

As always, please stay alert and do no click any suspicious links. 

Stay safe! 

Cat

wbg13

I received one also from Babyschkas 

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Thank you so much for flagging this! 

I've reached out to our Moderator team and we are investigating this issue. In the meantime, please stay vigilant and make sure to NOT click on the spam links sent by these users. 

Best,

Catherine 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

Sigh. I only get private messages from the PM staff. And from that @Anonymous weirdo.

I'm taking my puck 'n' net and going home. Screw y'all!!

🙂🙂

Oh...you were serious. 😞

@Korth lol you are funny!  😂

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

🤣🤣🤣 @Korth 

Sigh. I only get private messages from the PM staff. And from that @Anonymous weirdo.

Jk268

I will do it next time.

Thanks

@Jk268 wrote:

How to delete these messages

@Jk268 click the icon envelope on top right.  Open the phishing messasge.. do not click on link!  #1 Report and #2 Delete

private message.png

Jk268

I had right click the subject line but no delete button. Then I left click the subject line and found the delete button. 

Thanks

AmandaHo

You have to open the message and there will be a delete option on the bottom left I believe!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jk268 wrote:

@Jk268 

Click on the subject line and then you'll see the delete button.

Assuming you're looking at your private messages inbox 🙂

Jk268

Ah. I misunderstood. I guess that's what I get for not reading carefully, lol.

But, uh, that being said ... I still think my ideas for obtaining the phone numbers of Public Mobile customers aren't bad, lol. They seem like legit threat vectors. I wonder what PM could do to protect them.

@Korth wrote:

My question is how these spams have acquired the phone numbers of Public Mobile customers.

Did they just farm them online, customers (briefly) posting their numbers on this public forum, customers who use the same usernames at social media sites, etc?

Did they just autodial number blocks which are allocated to Public Mobile? Maybe even compile a list of "available" new numbers from Self-Serve in preparation?

Or did they acquire them from an "inside" source?

I haven't seen people complaining about much recent spam at other forums for other carriers.

@Korth they are sending private messages to customers, not phoning them.

Need Help? Let's chat.