cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted to port AFTER trying Public Mobile

Russtynail
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

EDIT: Thanks all for the help and advice.

Hi All, My wife and I are excited to become part of the PM team!  Our sim cards just arrived and I saw, during set-up, that currently we cannot port (through self-serve) our numbers.  Our plan WAS to keep our existing plan, and use our new PM plan (with new numbers) for a month to make sure we are happy with the change, before porting our numbers (and subsequently cancelling our current plan).

Without the ability to do this, how would you proceed?  Is this feature just (extremely) temporarily disabled?  Will it be back in a week?  Two?  Can I still port later through a moderator in the forum?  Is that more of a hassle?  They seem to be pushing to port during set-up for new users.

Any thoughts / help is appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Russtynail wrote:

Hi All, My wife and I are excited to become part of the PM team!  Our sim cards just arrived and I saw, during set-up, that currently we cannot port (through self-serve) our numbers.  Our plan WAS to keep our existing plan, and use our new PM plan (with new numbers) for a month to make sure we are happy with the change, before porting our numbers (and subsequently cancelling our current plan).

Without the ability to do this, how would you proceed? 

@Russtynail  Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂. Not a problem just activate your card first. Pick a temporary number and don't forget to use a referral code so that you can get the bonus $10 OFF credit.

Once you have completed your activation your selfserve account will also be created. Access your selfserve account to make sure your plan details are correct. Also note your referral (top right of your screen). You should use that referral code when setting up your wife's account. That way she will get the $10 OFF bonus and you will get an additional credit of $1 every 30 days. 

Remember each account requires it's own email address (or an email alias) but you can still use the same credit card and if you enable auto-pay both will get another $2 credit reward (per 30 days).

Is this feature just (extremely) temporarily disabled?  Will it be back in a week?  Two?  Can I still port later through a moderator in the forum?  Is that more of a hassle?

@Russtynail  Porting your numbers using the Moderator's assistance is very easy. Just have the following information ready for each account:

1. Account number with previous provider
  2. Name on the account
  3. Phone number that you want to port in.

To complete your port-in request, click this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. Include the info from above and the port should be completed within a 2-4 Hours.

Again welcome to Public Mobile! 🙂

They seem to be pushing to port during set-up for new users.

Any thoughts / help is appreciated.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Russtynail 

welcome to Public Mobile, like all of us here, you will really enjoy the plan, and  the rewards.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Welcome to PM. I am sure you will want to stay with PM after trying it out. When you activate a sim, you have the choice of a new number, or to port a number.To port you need to contact the moderator and the process is quite easy. I still think it is a wise decision to try PM for awhile, make sure your happy with everything before porting. That is how I did it, along with many others. When you port the other account has to be active. When the port is completed, that other cell provider account will be closed. If your activating more then one sim, besure to use the referal code. The sim card activator get $10, and the one providing the code gets $1/month off, as long as the sim is active

CricketBugs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i activted this way. chose a public mobile phone number then asked customer service to help move my old number over. 

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Russtynail I think it wise to activate first and transfer your current number later. It is rare but transferring during activation can result in no service with either your old service or PM. 
Activate 1 line initially so you can get your own referral code to use with the second. If you'd like one for the first let us know. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Russtynail 

Welcome to the community if you have ANY issues while you are with public mobile do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are customers like you and would love to help in any way make your experience better. 

Glad you are on board!

Welcome to PM @Russtynail and better half. Be sure to keep previuos providers account actve and if on a family plan port the secondary number first. The port will automatically close them.  When ready to port your numbers.  Type "Port Request" and follow the prompts to get to one. Give them the name on the account,  phone number to port and the old providers account number.  There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  Stay safe. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire
  1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Russtynail 

The glitch in the system might be fixed by the time you want to port over your number.  However, the system has been down for a while.

For now, you will need to contact moderator to help with porting.

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

1. Ticketing system - faster response time

Click on the question mark on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: Contact moderator. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

or

2 Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

You can do it with the help of moderators

https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ 

When you are ready just contact them for each account separately

I believe that future is not coming back until they figure it how to curb simjacking. 

Welcome to public mobile

Need Help? Let's chat.