cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart SIM

cat2019
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I read over the threads posted before regarding purchasing SIM from Walmart and got refused. I remember somewhere in the forum people mentioned they got free SIM card from Walmart as well. Wondering was that just for certain time promotion or Walmart provides free SIM while you activate a plan with them?

24 REPLIES 24

@caseyshea89 wrote:

I order mine online and ot takes about 3 to 5 days to get just a sim!

Relevance?

caseyshea89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I order mine online and ot takes about 3 to 5 days to get just a sim!

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@buiya wrote:

Interesting!  I just experienced this today at a Walmart in Calgary.  Asked for a PM simcard with out activating was flat out denied.  Cashier was pushing Freedom mobile hard, I said no thanks, walked down the mall and found a kiosk selling a PM sim without activation and no problems!  Weird.

Just for fun. Would one of you Walmart shoppers that are denied a purchase of a PM SIM only please ask for the Walmart store manager...not the cell shop manager.....and you could say your shopping experience may affect your future shopping habits. 

Also say you could say you only need a replacement SIM as your phone was damaged or lost and you want to put new SIM on account ASAP. 

buiya

@88cranston wrote:

@buiya wrote:

Interesting!  I just experienced this today at a Walmart in Calgary.  Asked for a PM simcard with out activating was flat out denied.  Cashier was pushing Freedom mobile hard, I said no thanks, walked down the mall and found a kiosk selling a PM sim without activation and no problems!  Weird.

My guess. Not a salesperson that identifies of the the need of customer, not too bright, commission driven. Let’s face it, potential PM customers already know what they want. 😀

Agreed, this also happened at TMS in Superstore, I had to get a card for my sis and the sales person wasn't hearing anything I was saying and again pushing freedom.  I guess there's a good spif being offered for it right now.  oh well.

I can't imagine that dealers are making very big Bucks on SIM cards or activations from Public Mobile. Probably getting half the $5 SIM card revenue but couldn't hazard a guess at what the new activation fee is....but I will anyway...$50? Enough that they usually push it hard in the Walmart case and always ask if they can activate for you in the London Drugs case. Enough that they frequently include the sim cost in the deal too. But, PM being pretty low budget and there being nothing to lock a customer in over and above the $10 SIM investment, we certainly aren't talking $100 or more to the dealer.

AE_Collector

88cranston

@buiya wrote:

My guess. Not a salesperson that identifies of the the need of customer, not too bright, commission driven. Let’s face it, potential PM customers already know what they want. 😀

buiya

ddandersonn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just activated a walmart SIM that I purchased three days ago.  I had no problems.

That being said, I had to tell the guy at Walmart that I DIDN'T want him to activate it for me, because he tried to push me into activating on the spot.

xiaoyan5711
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do you buy and active the SIM at Walmart?

I tried to buy and active the SIM at walmart,that is free.But that is about 6 weeks ago.

@cat2019 wrote:

I read over the threads posted before regarding purchasing SIM from Walmart and got refused. I remember somewhere in the forum people mentioned they got free SIM card from Walmart as well. Wondering was that just for certain time promotion or Walmart provides free SIM while you activate a plan with them?

@88cranston wrote:

So, just asking, what does London Drugs benefit from spending time to set up account and give you a free SIM?🤔🤔

Upsale on plan or hopefully not, an employee using their referral on your new account?🤔🤔

Even without the opportunity to upsell or for an indidvidual employee to use a referral code, Public Mobile almost certainly provides a monetary compensation to the store/salesperson for each new lline activated.

88cranston

@AE_Collector wrote:

Lots of reported examples of Walmart refusing to sell a sim without activation. But may not be their policy, may be lots of factors at any given moment.

I have heard numerous times of London Drugs giving the sim free if they activate an account. I have never heard of them refusing to sell a sim to a customer.

I still think the statement that the current promo isn't available at LD or Walmart is an error. Makes zero sense.

AE_Collector

So, just asking, what does London Drugs benefit from spending time to set up account and give you a free SIM?🤔🤔

Upsale on plan or hopefully not, an employee using their referral on your new account?🤔🤔

@cat2019 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. If there is so much uncertainty doing it at WM, I'd rather suggest my friend try at other retailers instead.

Excellent idea. 👍👍

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

cat2019
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks for the reply. If there is so much uncertainty doing it at WM, I'd rather suggest my friend try at other retailers instead.

@totalUser wrote:

@popping 

I got my sim in Walmart and I didn't activate for over a month.

Is there a change in policy?

Public Mobile policy says for them to sell it. It could be store policy not to sell or it could be a way to force you to activate. Each person gets a different experience.

Lots of reported examples of Walmart refusing to sell a sim without activation. But may not be their policy, may be lots of factors at any given moment.

I have heard numerous times of London Drugs giving the sim free if they activate an account. I have never heard of them refusing to sell a sim to a customer.

I still think the statement that the current promo isn't available at LD or Walmart is an error. Makes zero sense.

AE_Collector

@Luddite wrote:

@popping wrote:

@cat2019 

WM will not sell PM SIM without activation.  But sometime WM will give you free SIM card with activation.  Ask before activation.

Please note that the current 6x$10 credit promo is not available at WM.

I wouldn't be so sure. Seems unlikely PM has gone to the programming effort to prevent a new customer activating at Walmart from receiving the credits? 

Hi @Luddite 

Yes I also find it really strange, go figure.

The only thing that I can think of is that it's applied manually (hence a week) and the activation location is on record.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Until-November-21-get-10-off-for-the-fi... 

@popping wrote:

@cat2019 

WM will not sell PM SIM without activation.  But sometime WM will give you free SIM card with activation.  Ask before activation.

@popping 

I got my sim in Walmart and I didn't activate for over a month.

Is there a change in policy?

@popping wrote:

@cat2019 

I wouldn't be so sure. Seems unlikely PM has gone to the programming effort to prevent a new customer activating at Walmart from receiving the credits? 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cat2019 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is probably all over the map.  The latest promo apparently doesn't involve Walmart.  So go figure.  

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@cat2019 wrote:

The result can change from store to store or with different employees. If they've met the performance quota, they may not care as much if you walk away.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@cat2019  Many of the Walmarts will provide you with a free sim card if you activate your sim card with them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cat2019- Walmart sometimes has their own in-house promotions (likely time limited), on top of the 'official' Public Mobile promotions.

Need Help? Let's chat.