Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volte

dhutt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not a question just a comment

after reading 

VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) FAQs

Customers who activated on the Public Mobile network after February 22, 2023 will automatically have their customer profile enabled with VoLTE (Voice over LTE). Customers who activated prior to February 22, 2023 will be enabled on VoLTE gradually over the next few months. VoLTE is a free service and does not use incremental data. All VoLTE calls will use minutes the same way a regular voice call does.

why is public mobile not upgrading existing customers first I have been a customer for 7 years and feeling 

14 REPLIES 14

Guspublic1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have the same question. I am an existing old customer and not on Volte, so cannot us my phone in USA.

Got message that said Nokia 6.1 and Samsung A8 not compatible with Volte, but I have LTE compatibility on my Samsung. 

Swee_Pea

@wetcoaster wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @wetcoaster I think they have taken down some 3G antennas in favour of 5G equipment.  I think that is also the reason why PM enabled VoLTE now 

BTW, do Chatr or Lucky enabled VoLTE yet?? are we the first run out of the gate in Tier 3

@hTideGnow 

VoLTE will definitely be a good thing for areas where only 4G equipment is installed. For a whole bunch of people in the Maritimes Public Mobile did lack voice coverage due to no 3G access for several years now. It'll also re-establish more reliable calls in some parts of Manitoba.

I have looked at second tier plans for a while, and it felt pretty sobering price wise, considering that I was just looking at a basic plan (the main line is >95% talk and text) - and so many features that I take for granted here being extra!

Really glad that PM is transitioning to VoLTE - it makes a difference here and I don't have to rob a bank to pay my phone bill.

I did a quick browse on the Lucky and ChatR websites earlier this week - it definitely looks like PM got a head start.

@wetcoaster 

lol....be careful of your jokes!!!!

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @wetcoaster I think they have taken down some 3G antennas in favour of 5G equipment.  I think that is also the reason why PM enabled VoLTE now 

BTW, do Chatr or Lucky enabled VoLTE yet?? are we the first run out of the gate in Tier 3

@hTideGnow 

VoLTE will definitely be a good thing for areas where only 4G equipment is installed. For a whole bunch of people in the Maritimes Public Mobile did lack voice coverage due to no 3G access for several years now. It'll also re-establish more reliable calls in some parts of Manitoba.

I have looked at second tier plans for a while, and it felt pretty sobering price wise, considering that I was just looking at a basic plan (the main line is >95% talk and text) - and so many features that I take for granted here being extra!

Really glad that PM is transitioning to VoLTE - it makes a difference here and I don't have to rob a bank to pay my phone bill.

I did a quick browse on the Lucky and ChatR websites earlier this week - it definitely looks like PM got a head start.

@wetcoaster wrote:

Not entirely conclusive yet, but it feels like considerably improved call quality here For now I'm comparing service on the same phone, VoLTE is the only difference.

Having said that I noticed quite the deterioration in 3G call quality over the past half year or so where I use the phone most of the time, so any improvements would likely be noticeable.

I will stay tuned re: YouMail. Relying in the PM voicemail for now.

I think in some circumstances, you may get a better/more solid voice connection (less audio dropouts / "smearing" etc) due to LTE more likely to have a stronger signal and ability to use additional bands that may be received/transmitted more successfully compared to the 3G network which may be getting more sparse, or less and less bandwidth allocated. LTE runs on bands like 600 and 700Mhz which would have much better building penetration and rural coverage than 850/1900 on 3G might have etc.

I think the CODEC is the same, but if the data stream can be delivered with less errors, you may have better overall call quality because of that. In my case at my current location in urban Saskatchewan, I am very close to a tower that serves a very strong 3G + LTE signal, so maybe that's why it's less apparent to me at this time...

@Nezgar wrote:

I got VoLTE enabled on my line and I can confirm that it's now working -- I can see the connection staying on "LTE" or "LTE+" while making or receiving a call. Cool! Even on my old BlackBerry Keyone, but I know this device could do it because I used to have VoLTE when this phone was originally on Rogers 4+ years ago.

Though call quality is exactly the same lol. Call setup is indeed quicker, but almost unnoticebly quicker. Most people will not notice any difference heh. This will be great if it also means I can use VoLTE in the US, I'll be able to test this soon too. It would make the difference of being able to complete a call or not since 3G network is completely gone there, and only a small 2G footprint left with T-Mobile.

Though it seems I can set "unconditional" forwarding, I cannot set "conditional" forwarding (just get an error), so I'm inquiring with CS about that. Maybe this is a known limitation, so YouMail for voicemail is not an option anymore for me at least for now.

@Nezgar 

Not entirely conclusive yet, but it feels like considerably improved call quality here For now I'm comparing service on the same phone, VoLTE is the only difference.

Having said that I noticed quite the deterioration in 3G call quality over the past half year or so where I use the phone most of the time, so any improvements would likely be noticeable.

I will stay tuned re: YouMail. Relying in the PM voicemail for now.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I got VoLTE enabled on my line and I can confirm that it's now working -- I can see the connection staying on "LTE" or "LTE+" while making or receiving a call. Cool! Even on my old BlackBerry Keyone, but I know this device could do it because I used to have VoLTE when this phone was originally on Rogers 4+ years ago.

Though call quality is exactly the same lol. Call setup is indeed quicker, but almost unnoticebly quicker. Most people will not notice any difference heh. This will be great if it also means I can use VoLTE in the US, I'll be able to test this soon too. It would make the difference of being able to complete a call or not since 3G network is completely gone there, and only a small 2G footprint left with T-Mobile.

Though it seems I can set "unconditional" forwarding, I cannot set "conditional" forwarding (just get an error), so I'm inquiring with CS about that. Maybe this is a known limitation, so YouMail for voicemail is not an option anymore for me at least for now.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

You're not being intentionally punished. It's a big task to migrate thousands of users and it needs to be done in batches.

Swee_Pea

From a corporate point of view.

A plan would have been created and would have included:

Will be done in batches. 

Announcement date will be delayed to avoid, when me, when me.

So I may assume that the online activation would turn on to give LTE automatically as of the turn on date on the system. 

Then batches would be migrated. 

Some one would have developed batches by xxx-xxx...say at a 1000 at a time. 

I can see the reason why. And like said what's the difference....you were used to 3G...so just wait it out. 

@dhutt wrote:

I will try it. It is more for the US add on that I would like it enabled for.

If you are planning a trip, a common recommendation here as a contingency if it doesn't work is the TextNow VoIP app to make calls over WiFi or data while travelling. That is a good use case though. I wonder if VoLTE enablement in Canada would immediately also enable it for roaming. That I think is still unknown.

dhutt

I will try it. It is more for the US add on that I would like it enabled for.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@dhutt  I guess you could open a ticket with the CS Agents to nicely ask if they could enable VoLTE on your customer profile early?

If you have good 3G coverage in your area you're not missing much though. 3G calls still support HD voice. The other benefits will be minor or unnoticeable for most people.

Which brings up my own question is if anyone has had success asking for their account to be enabled early? I might like to try it just because I like to try things. 😂 At least before it happens to my wife's account...

dhutt

very unappreciated

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

... feeling".   ?

Ripped off... yeah, hear ya

Need Help? Let's chat.