cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE Update

It seems like Public Mobile/Telus has quietly expandeVoLTE, Otherd the VoLTE whitelist.  When VoLTE was rolled out in early 2023, my Umidigi A13 pro had VoLTE functionality.  It disappeared a few months later.  I have been trying periodically to see if there have been any changes.  Today, VoLTE is functional once again on that phone.  Interestingly, the IMS status menu does not show VoLTE being registered.  I ran the IMEI on the VoLTE checker on the Telus site and it was shown as compatible.  I guess the next pursuit is WiFi calling.  Let's hope we get a Christmas present from Public Mobile this year.  

10 REPLIES 10

@Nezgar wrote:

So when I do a lookup of my circa 2017 BlackBerry keyone with Telus's VoLTE compatibility checker, and inspect the actual JSON query response that comes back indicating it is supported (domestically), the voLTE and voWiFi attributes actually indicate a category code of "whitelist". 😂 Seems a pretty clear indicator a whitelist exists to me. 🙂

It would be one thing if Public Mobile (Telus) were simply providing a compatibility checking tool, but that wasn't the case.  It became very clear early on that devices not on the list were being actively blocked from using VoLTE even if they were actually compatible.

@will13am wrote:

@AK32 wrote:

I did see there was some downtime recently for maintenance, perhaps this is what they were working on.  Id guess we might see an accouchement soon if so

They were very quiet about the VoLTE whitelist.  I assume the same radio silence if the whitelist were to go away.  If there was any kind of announcement then it would an acknowledgement that a whitelist existed.  

So when I do a lookup of my circa 2017 BlackBerry keyone with Telus's VoLTE compatibility checker, and inspect the actual JSON query response that comes back indicating it is supported (domestically), the voLTE and voWiFi attributes actually indicate a category code of "whitelist". 😂 Seems a pretty clear indicator a whitelist exists to me. 🙂

teluswhitelist.png

@will13am wrote:

@Meow wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I ran the IMEI on the VoLTE checker on the Telus site and it was shown as compatible. 

Do you mind providing a link to check volte compatibility?

Here you go.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

Thanks. It looks like my phone is compatible but PM did not enable volte on it.

Meow_0-1729628137602.png

@will13am wrote:

It seems like Public Mobile/Telus has quietly expandeVoLTE, Otherd the VoLTE whitelist.  When VoLTE was rolled out in early 2023, my Umidigi A13 pro had VoLTE functionality.  It disappeared a few months later.  I have been trying periodically to see if there have been any changes.  Today, VoLTE is functional once again on that phone.  Interestingly, the IMS status menu does not show VoLTE being registered.  I ran the IMEI on the VoLTE checker on the Telus site and it was shown as compatible.  I guess the next pursuit is WiFi calling.  Let's hope we get a Christmas present from Public Mobile this year.  

The question remains why Public Mobile was blocking devices from using VoLTE in the first place.  I know that carriers like to give the line that it's to ensure proper compatibility, but I don't buy that. It gave the impression that Telus only wanted to control which phones were being used on the network.

@AK32 wrote:

I did see there was some downtime recently for maintenance, perhaps this is what they were working on.  Id guess we might see an accouchement soon if so

They were very quiet about the VoLTE whitelist.  I assume the same radio silence if the whitelist were to go away.  If there was any kind of announcement then it would an acknowledgement that a whitelist existed.  

@Meow wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I ran the IMEI on the VoLTE checker on the Telus site and it was shown as compatible. 

Here you go.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

@slusagm wrote:

thanks for the good news 

I thought if it is not showing IMS registered then it is not using VOLTE.  But you actually on a call and see the signal still on LTE?

I thought that the IMS table was solid for confirming VoLTE functionality as well.  I was not imagining things.  I was the VoLTE symbol light up on the notification bar.  I made a call and the VoLTE symbol remained on, the mobile network connection stayed on 4G.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@will13am wrote:

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

thanks for the good news 

I thought if it is not showing IMS registered then it is not using VOLTE.  But you actually on a call and see the signal still on LTE?

AK32
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Need Help? Let's chat.