cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my PM cell phone in the US

Murphcrud
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I receive calls from Canada when travelling anywhere in the US, will I be charged LD rates based on my Canadian home location to where I receive the call??  Roaming charge?  

Going to be in the US for 2 months.  Suggestions?

11 REPLIES 11

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You have to dig down into the details but there is mention of the fact that we can receive texts in the US without an add-on.

dust2dust_0-1675958620779.png

@Murphcrud   which state you are going?

FYI, since US has already decommissioned 3G network but PM has not enabled VoLTE yet, your roaming will be using an older and unreliable TMobile 2G network.  So, it might not work well

If you needs your calls and make sure it works, Bet to get a VoIP app and pick a Canadian phone number.  Then forward your PM number to that VoIP number.   Either buy data roaming or US local Data sim so, you can access data and the VoIP app will work.  Forwarding your PM calls to the VoIP app will be much more reliable.

(if you are going with that Forward VoIP trick, make sure your PM sim card is remove from the phone before entering US.  If PM sim "sees" the US network, all call forwarding will be cleared and the trick would not work)

Murphcrud

Thank you.  Unfortunately, I require my existing phone number to remain active while in the US.  It is a personal/business number.  So, I guess it is back to Roaming.

@Murphcrud wrote:

Thank you.  You state incoming texts MAY come in ---- will they?? 

@Murphcrud   yes, it is an "unadvertised feature" 🙂  Incoming text will come even you don't have roaming add-ons, but again, you cannot reply

If you need voice and text, a free workaround is to download VoIP app like TextNow.  It will give you a new 10 digits number and you receive/make calls and texts via the app.  It will work as long as you have Wifi or Mobile Data

Murphcrud

Thank you.  You state incoming texts MAY come in ---- will they?? 

Murphcrud

Not the answer I was hoping for ----, I need my own current cell number to receive calls as it is a personal/business number.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Murphcrud 

You can use WhatsApp or TextNow for free calling and texting through wifi while in the US. 
For 2 months in the US, best option is to purchase a local SIM from Tello or Mint or Visible mobile. It will be cheaper than the PM roaming charges while you are in the US.

I use the TextNow SIM for free unlimited roaming calling and texting on T-Mobile 4G & 5G while in the US.

LoveNature
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @Murphcrud 

buy it prepaid US SIM card get this, name:   Jethro Mobile USA Sim Card,

from amazon.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Murphcrud - there are never any charges for something you have not already purchased.

If you are in the USA, you will need to purchase a Roaming Addon for services (exception, to this is incoming texts may come in on an active account). 

Going away for 2 months? I would suggest a local SIM card. Roaming addons last for 15 days, and local sim card would be more reliable, IMO.

@Murphcrud wrote:

If I receive calls from Canada when travelling anywhere in the US, will I be charged LD rates based on my Canadian home location to where I receive the call??  Roaming charge?  

Going to be in the US for 2 months.  Suggestions?

There would be no long distance charge, but to receive calls while you're in the U.S., you'll need to purcahse a roaming add-on ahead of time. Without the roaming add-on, you won't be able to receive any phone calls.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Murphcrud   no, you won't get LD charge.

But in order for you to receive calls while in US, you need US roaming Talk.  But if you go for 2 months, it is much better to get US prepaid plan.  You might want to download VoIP app TextNow,  They will give you another phone number.  You give it to your friends and they can reach you that way., your VoIP app will ring.  The app will work as long as you have Wifi or Mobile Data.

Need Help? Let's chat.