cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Public Mobile Sim for a cell tower antena to provide wifi in a rural home

JacobOnThePool
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, has anyone successfully managed to build a working wifi network in their home or cottage using a public mobile sim and an antenna system? Rogers offers a rural internet system that does what I just described but they charge $70-$90 buck a month. Compared to a public mobile plan of ~$30 looks like there is an opportunity to save some money.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jacob.

5 REPLIES 5

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

@JacobOnThePool 

it alls depends if you have the right router with the proper network bands

a routers work for Rogers might not work for Telus/PM.  What router are you using it on Rogers sim?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There are LTE routers out there that would take a SIM card.  I would think that wireless home internet packages would be better priced.  The data buckets offered by this service are pretty generous, however they are grossly inadequate to support home internet.  

Rastin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Rogers also has a 5g home plan for 55$ 500gig at 100mb then goes down to 10 mb after you use up the 500. No contract and free modem.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @JacobOnThePool 

that is Mobile hotspot.  I used it without problem

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@JacobOnThePool   The only thing I have done is use my phone as a wifi hotspot.  Bell is also offering rural wireless internet at $50 a month (for two years) 600GB unlimited which is normally $70 but they do imply they could put up the base price but you'd still get the $20 discount.  I was looking at that the other day but their availability test can't determine if it applies at my address although pretty sure it does.  

Need Help? Let's chat.