cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used 8GB of data in one day?

kkum
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This happened a few weeks ago actually. Somehow I ended up using like 8gb of data in one day and I can't figure out why or how this happened. I can't seem to find it in my Usage History either. Can one of the mods look into this? I have less than 2gb of my 12gb left until mid-October!!

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

This kind of data usage by hotspot is happening often.  Especially when you didnt disconnect it with external device and thought you did disconnect. 😄

MF
Also if you have an iPhone, and WiFi assist is activated, it can make you burn through data since it automatically bumps your phone to cellular if it detects a weak WiFi signal.

skmkenn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can message @CS_Agent to have your plan renewed early (you'll need to have enough funds on your account to cover this), however I don't think you'll be able to get the data refunded in this case unless they are willing to make a one-time exception. 

ronster
you could try but I doubt MOD can do anything about it.

kkum

Yeah I think I forgot to close it and my sister watched some videos thinking she was on WiFi. Is it possible for a PM mod to give me some data back? I know it's my fault but this is gonna be a struggle for me since I'm on a 90 day plan with 2 months to go.

ronster
I think for iPhone, it won't let you update using cellular when the size is greater than 100mb or something.

MEU_21

It is possible. Especially with a firmware update or app updates that have auto-update turned on.

Assuming you have an android phone go to:

Settings -> Data usage -> Mobile Data Usage

The list of  apps / Google play will show you where and how much of data was used.

Be careful if your hotspot is unprotected and someone just hijacked it.. used up your data.

skmkenn

I'd check the data usage directly on your phone to see what used so much. It could've been a software or app update, or something was accidentally left streaming perhaps?

iPhone: Open Settings and tap on Cellular. Scroll down and you will see a list of apps, with the data usage for each app beneath each one. 

Android: Open Settings and tap on Data Usage (it may be listed under Connections or Mobile Networks depending on the manufacturer of your device). From there you can see a list of apps and their data usage for the set period.

You can also go back up to 90 days in Self Serve to see where the usage took place - just change the drop down from "Last 7 days" to "Last 90 days", click View Usage History, and then scroll through. For that much data usage I would imagine that a block of data should show up.

Edit: I just saw the reply in regards to it being related to mobile hotspot usage. Check your settings, depending on your phone you should be able to limit the amount of time the hotspot remains available and also control which devices can connect to it based on the MAC address. By the sounds of it, your computer may have downloaded an update of some sort which would've chewed through your data quite quickly.

If you're using a Windows 10 PC, you can limit the amount of data used in the background in addition to restricting Windows Updates to prevent high data consumption. To do this, open Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Manage Known Networks > Properties and toggle Set as metered connection to On.

tzliu

Maybe you forgot to end your hotspot session, your laptop tethered to your phone consumed all 8GB, or your hotspot is not secured, someone used it for free.

ronster

so you turned on personal hotspot?  Tethering can use up data in no time.

@kkum wrote:

Yeah it did, it was something about hotspots

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The moderator team cannot do much about demands for data coming from the phone.  Best solution as already suggested is to look at the data meter on the phone to see what app is using up all the data.  It could be some sort of back up or sync function. 

kkum

Yeah it did, it was something about hotspots

ronster
How about the data counter on your phone? did it show 8gb in one day as well?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Your phone should have details. Possibly wifi assist or firmware upgrade

Install app like my data manager to track usage. It might even show past usage
Need Help? Let's chat.