cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 4g

Jack34
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I upgraded from the most basic 3G plan to a 4g plan. I did this because the 3G was unable connect properly to some apps.  Even with this upgrade, I was unable to connect to an app today in Vancouver.

My phone is not showing 4g as an option.  In previous posts, people have said that 4g = LTE but when I read about it, it doesn't seem to be.  Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

WillyWanka
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it cost effective for those on old 3G plans to remain on them?

@WillyWanka  no they don't offer anymore;  but existing members who had 3G plans like myself still have 3G plans.

WillyWanka
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does public still offer 3G plans?   I only see 4g and 5g plans on the website.

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Jack34 wrote:

Some apps connect - like the parking app, and wallet - but apps like the newspaper and bank can't.  I thought that 4g meant data transfer would be faster? 

It should be faster as long as you're connecting to the 4G LTE or 5G networks. It's possible the issue you're having with apps isn't speed related but could be the connection in your area in general. It could also be an issue with the phone itself.

Jack34

woops, replied as separate comment.  

Jack34

Some apps connect - like the parking app, and wallet - but apps like the newspaper and bank can't.  I thought that 4g meant data transfer would be faster? 

@Jack34 wrote:

I upgraded from the most basic 3G plan to a 4g plan. I did this because the 3G was unable connect properly to some apps.  Even with this upgrade, I was unable to connect to an app today in Vancouver.

My phone is not showing 4g as an option.  In previous posts, people have said that 4g = LTE but when I read about it, it doesn't seem to be.  Any ideas?

All Public Mobile plans allow access to the same networks. Has data ever worked on your Public Mobile service while using this device? I would suggest to start by double checking the APN settings:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

Need Help? Let's chat.