cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsure what my usage history is telling me.

BullDogPup
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm new to Public Mobile and haven't used my phone in weeks.  When I checked my usage history for the first time, it shows my phone in use almost daily.  Mostly it shows the usage as "WEB" but there are a few outgoing to one number I know I didn't call and don't recognise.  Is this something to do with the service or should I be concerned?

Capture.PNG

Any information would be appreciated!

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

Duh, I have a SIM that last was on the $10 plan without data (right now it's suspended)... at least for me, the 0MB data events only show up if the SIM is actually in a phone that is turned on. So, it might me the phone / OS / apps trying to access data. (And/or determine position via cell tower triangulation? I have the location feature turned off on my phone, but....)

So even just the phone *wanting* to do something with data, the service saying "well no you don't have data" that the service is recording that as some kind of data hit in the logs. Would this happen even with data off?

Interesting.

@Anonymous wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Anonymous 

Do you have data (plan or add-on)? I wonder if the data usage can be replicated by someone on a "talk only, without data" plan. Since those events are all (with one exeption) 0MB, it might just be the way the system is tallying things up once a day. If @BullDogPup doesn't have data on their plan or a data add-on their phone doesn't have access to data and they will not incour any cost from these data events.

I'm on the $10 plan. I also have the 200mb add-on. So I can't replicate that for you. Good idea though. But, of course, as we all know, this is a prepaid system. There won't be charges for anything you don't pay for.

So yes it would be interesting to know exactly which plan the parents phone is on.

Duh, I have a SIM that last was on the $10 plan without data (right now it's suspended)... at least for me, the 0MB data events only show up if the SIM is actually in a phone that is turned on. So, it might me the phone / OS / apps trying to access data. (And/or determine position via cell tower triangulation? I have the location feature turned off on my phone, but....)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BullDogPup 

Don't let anybody tell you there's no support here. Sure yeah there might be a wait for a specific account problem but we're all here to help with all kinds of very experienced clever folks here. I keep learning things so I'm not there yet.

BullDogPup

Yes, Alex888 identified the number as the Public Mobile voicemail number and cleared up the mystery for me. 

I much appreciate you and everyone else that took the time to answer.  I admit that being a newbie with this phone service and being techno challenged to boot, had me feeling stressed.  This is one phone service I absolutely need to be able to understand and trust.  Finding everyone on here so willing to help has gone a long way to putting me at ease.  Thanks again to all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Anonymous 

Do you have data (plan or add-on)? I wonder if the data usage can be replicated by someone on a "talk only, without data" plan. Since those events are all (with one exeption) 0MB, it might just be the way the system is tallying things up once a day. If @BullDogPup doesn't have data on their plan or a data add-on their phone doesn't have access to data and they will not incour any cost from these data events.

I'm on the $10 plan. I also have the 200mb add-on. So I can't replicate that for you. Good idea though. But, of course, as we all know, this is a prepaid system. There won't be charges for anything you don't pay for.

So yes it would be interesting to know exactly which plan the parents phone is on.

@Anonymous wrote:

@BullDogPup wrote:

Hi z10user4.

First let me thank everyone for taking the time to reply to my querry. It's much appreciated.

Yes, I leave this phone on at all times.  It was purchased as an emergency contact phone.  If it rings, there's some kind of emergency happening with my aging parents.  My parents are the only ones that have the number and they don't text.  If this phone rings, it's a call that needs to be answered.  Because of the intended use, it's a strictly "taIk" phone.... no data.  I didn't load any apps onto the phone but I'm sure Alex888 is correct and the "Web" history is app related.  You can't buy a phone now adays without it coming preloaded with one app or another.  The thing that confuses me are the outgoing calls.  They're always very short and always to the same number. 

I've included more information on the history below.  The highlighted calls are the ones in question.  (there have been 2 more in the last couple of weeks)  The call that isn't highlighted is the only time I've used the phone in the last 30 days.

My concern isn't really about the minutes.  Obviously it's not impacting anything.  It's confusing to me because it's showing outgoing calls that I'm not making.  Mostly it's about being new to PM and not knowing why or how this is happening.

Thank you again for your help.

You've rightfully obscured the destination numbers. I can see some ending with 4001. So my bet would be that those are all "to" the same number. If so then I would be about certain that they're the voicemail number. When a caller calls the phone number and no one answers then most phones will default to a voicemail number provided by the carrier and forward the call to the voicemail.

If you see that phone number in this list then that's what it is.

Voicemail Access Numbers

@Anonymous 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BullDogPup wrote:

Hi z10user4.

First let me thank everyone for taking the time to reply to my querry. It's much appreciated.

Yes, I leave this phone on at all times.  It was purchased as an emergency contact phone.  If it rings, there's some kind of emergency happening with my aging parents.  My parents are the only ones that have the number and they don't text.  If this phone rings, it's a call that needs to be answered.  Because of the intended use, it's a strictly "taIk" phone.... no data.  I didn't load any apps onto the phone but I'm sure Alex888 is correct and the "Web" history is app related.  You can't buy a phone now adays without it coming preloaded with one app or another.  The thing that confuses me are the outgoing calls.  They're always very short and always to the same number. 

I've included more information on the history below.  The highlighted calls are the ones in question.  (there have been 2 more in the last couple of weeks)  The call that isn't highlighted is the only time I've used the phone in the last 30 days.

My concern isn't really about the minutes.  Obviously it's not impacting anything.  It's confusing to me because it's showing outgoing calls that I'm not making.  Mostly it's about being new to PM and not knowing why or how this is happening.

You've rightfully obscured the destination numbers. I can see some ending with 4001. So my bet would be that those are all "to" the same number. If so then I would be about certain that they're the voicemail number. When a caller calls the phone number and no one answers then most phones will default to a voicemail number provided by the carrier and forward the call to the voicemail.

If you see that phone number in this list then that's what it is.

Voicemail Access Numbers

Edit: it appears someone may have sent you a reply in pm. So good. That's settled then.

And to add...the first number in those forwarded numbers would be the phone number of the phone.

BullDogPup

THANK YOU!  I purposely didn't show the number.... worried about someone else's privacy... but that's what it is.  Mystery solved.  And yes, I'm sure you're correct about some app that came preloaded with phone running in the background.  You have become this technology challanged users hero.

BullDogPup

Hi z10user4.

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BullDogPup wrote:

I'm new to Public Mobile and haven't used my phone in weeks.  When I checked my usage history for the first time, it shows my phone in use almost daily.  Mostly it shows the usage as "WEB" but there are a few outgoing to one number I know I didn't call and don't recognise.  Is this something to do with the service or should I be concerned?

You didn't supply enough evidence to really tell but I'm with Alex888. Those Web lines are like clock work. About the same time every day. That says app to me. Do you leave your data on all the time?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@BullDogPup wrote:

Capture.PNG

If your phone remains powered on it will still use data and accept incoming calls and Voicemail. In fact that is what appears to be happening. Nothing to be concerned about. If you want usage to be minimal then power down your phone.Smiley Happy

emad
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You should not be concerned, the outgoing call could be someone has tried to call you and it gets directed to you a voice mail

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Alex888 wrote:
@duffer900MMS shows up as Data Event, and says MMS under Usage Type.

Perhaps an app of sometype then. Something is hitting the data side of things I would suspect. Not counting against the usage though. My accounts have a few of these as well.

@duffer900 MMS shows up as Data Event, and says MMS under Usage Type.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BullDogPup wrote:

Capture.PNG

I found an older post, and a rep from PM advises that it is your data usage. The fact that it is at 0, it's probably somthing like MMS messages.

Here is the link to that info

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Web-calls/m-p/44183#M5030

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@BullDogPupWeb is anytime you connect to the internet with data, it cound be background apps or the operating system. You don't show what the unknown number is, if it's 1 581-580-4001 that's the Public Mobile voicemail number, if it's a different number it could be an app causing it.

Need Help? Let's chat.