cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown number called me

mellbarrie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Recently I've had an unknown (to me) number message me who knew some personal details about me. They've also called me numerous times in the middle of the night. They will not tell me who they are.

Is there any way I am able to figure out who this number belongs to?

12 REPLIES 12

Pop_Eye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Blocking will only stop the ring announcement. That caller can still leave you a voicemail. 

Have you called the number back? Try calling back from a free voip app that will supply you with a different number. 

If you call back and it is out of service or??? They are likely calling you from a voip number and have spoofed the caller ID. Meaning that the number calling you is not traceable by you. You can, though, set up your phone to only accept calls from your contact list and that would help you a lot. 

Are you on social media a lot? Is Mell Barrie your real name? Perhaps you should use some alias names while online? Do you have a creepy admirer?

mellbarrie

That is a possibility but they've messaged me on more than one day and also called multiple times from the same number. I was able to make a call to them as well, but they did not answer. No idea if you can reuse the same spoofed number multiple times over.

mellbarrie

Ok, thanks

mellbarrie

I'm not going to post the number on this public forum, but I have all of the messages saved. Yes, I can block the number but that won't help me figure out who it is. Thanks though.

@mellbarrie 

save any recorded messages from that number, in case needed for future.

You can block that number from calling you also.

@mellbarrie if it is big enough threat, police can demand PM to trace further.  But PM won't take the order from us

@mellbarrie 

Chances are the number is spoofed anyway.

mellbarrie

Ok, thank you for letting me know. I tried calling the non emergency line and they said that because it's not constant that they can't do anything to help me. Told me to block the number. Thanks though.

mellbarrie

I tried to do that put nothing came up, unfortunately.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@mellbarrie 

You can do a reverse search on 411.ca if the landline are listed but not for cell phone numbers.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @mellbarrie sorry, this is not something PM can help.  

If it is annoying enough, you will either have to seek help from Police or change phone number.  But if they have access to your personal info, calling police is not a bad idea

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@mellbarrie 

what was the number on your call display ?

Need Help? Let's chat.