cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unblockable Spam Texts From An Email Rather Than A Phone Number

KenB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey all,

I've been getting spam *MMS messages sent from an email to my phone as text messages. 

It's some kind of file that I of course have not downloaded but the same sender has been messaging me multiple times a day every day for the past week.  When I try to block it on my phone (Samsung, Android 11) I get an "Invalid Number" error. 

Has anyone else on Public Mobile's network experienced this? 

Please, anyone help me find a solution this is really annoying 😓

*Edited to Fix SMS to MMS

10 REPLIES 10

BS16

Hi Ken....  I am having the same issue, receiving a txt that appears to have NO phone number attached, just an email and an MMS message that I have not opened.  I cannot block either.   

I get the message daily and have for over a week.  Did you find a workable fix?     thx

KenB

Just seeing this now after I replied to your response the newer thread.  Yeah, this one is older lol.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

If you want to block all incoming text messages then simply force the texting app to close. Or let it run but turn off all permissions and notifications.

Or follow the advice offered on the other thread you started on the same topic.

KenB

There is no number what so ever.  It comes from an email address.  I've set my phone to not automatically download MMS messages.  I've set "Mute Notifications" on it but I still cannot block it.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Does it appear to come from +19999999999? MMS can be worrying. I seem to think it can carry bad cargo. What all do you see when you get the notification of its presence? Maybe don't bring it down by clicking not on it. The support people are able to text APN setting files. I don't know how it looks upon arrival. Maybe it come in, but the file sits there waiting to be opened. I'm not sure. I'm not sure if the file gets executed upon pulling it down.

Hi @KenB sorry no such dancy service here.  this is only a tier 3 provider

KenB

I got a PM from a CS_Agent telling me it's definitely spoofing as I had guessed and that there's basically no way to stop it in Canada.  I've seen a thread on Verizen's site in the US that had a solution to block text emails from their self service portal that I will share right here:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/297351-how-block-texts-email-addresses-solved...

image.jpeg

Hi @KenB likely it is from email to text.  This feature was there for long time, not many people using that

[10digitnumber]@msg.telus.com

KenB

Same number since I activated and transferred from a previous carrier.  Been with PM for years now with no issues.  The field that my phone sees as the phone number of the spammer is an email rather than a number which I believed until now to not be possible and as far as my phone is concerned it shouldn't be either.

Some kind of spoofing for sure.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @KenB they were using email to text?  is your number a number you got when activated?  how long you activated?  

it you think it was targeted and repeated,  you might consider changing a new number. 

But junk text is hard to avoid , changing number does  not guarantee you can eliminate them completely 

Need Help? Let's chat.